P4A Waypoints

Reaction score
My first post! I don't see a Phantom 4 Advanced forum, so I figured I'd post here since I figure the P4A is more like a P4P than a straight P4.

At any rate, I've had my Phantom now about three weeks, and it's an amazing machine. This has started a whole new hobby for me, and I'm hooked. After getting some experience under my belt, while I like hand-flying, I find some of the autonomous modes are very useful, in particular point-of-interest and waypoints. These let me concentrate on photography/video while the aircraft flies a route I'm reasonably sure is safe and clear of obstacles.

I've read just about every thread on waypoints that a Google search reveals, and I'm well aware of some of the limitations of the GO 4 app as it relates to this mode. At this point at least, I'm not interested in Lichti. The basic functionality of GO 4's waypoints suits my needs fine, though it would be nice to be able to name my missions. A big issue is that I have to have the bird in the air to explore the waypoint mode, so that makes it difficult to explore the various menus in a controlled, relaxed environment. And of course, there is virtually no official documentation on this feature.

So, now for my questions:

- Seems things change with every firmware update, but I've seen threads claiming that you can delete missions. I'm using an Android device (Galaxy Tab A) and see no evidence of being able to do this. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice to clean things up.

- The bigger issue is that older missions seem to delete themselves. I recorded a fairly elaborate mission that went through my entire neighborhood, about two miles total. It had 77 waypoints and worked beautifully, being executed flawlessly about 10 times over several days. Over the weekend, I went to a new location about 10 miles away and recorded a new mission, which likewise worked beautifully. Unfortunately, when I tried to fly my old neighborhood mission today, it was missing from my saved missions. Only the missions recorded over the weekend were visible choices. I can record it again, but I liked my previous mission.

Again, the seeming lack of ability to poke around in the autonomous modes unless the drone is in the air makes it tough to figure things out. Any pointers y'all have are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

John

Well I've never used the GO app to fly, save and execute missions and although the latest iteration of DJI GO app gives you additional functionality, for me the novelty wore off. Yes you need to be in the air to set up the additional modes but that needs to be done to set up the various parameters for the features to work.
You've noted that you aren't interested in Litchi but you may want to reconsider it as another tool in the shed as the mission function is worth the entry fee alone. I can sit at home when the weather is scrap and plan a stack of missions ready to name, file and load when I can get out. Works every time and let's me focus on enjoying the experience without having to pre fly an area and the app has additional modes that are handy as well.

Reactions: Neon Euc
My first post! I don't see a Phantom 4 Advanced forum, so I figured I'd post here since I figure the P4A is more like a P4P than a straight P4.

At any rate, I've had my Phantom now about three weeks, and it's an amazing machine. This has started a whole new hobby for me, and I'm hooked.
Welcome to the forum, you're definitely in the right place if you own a P4A. I've requested a P4A section to be added, but the powers here have decided not to support the idea, so post your stuff here in the P4P section.

I'm with you, this is a very addicting hobby, and it's been 2.5yrs for me. Planning my next mission while laying in bed is a good way to relax and fall asleep happy.

As for your autonomous flight interest, Go4's waypoint function is very quirky, undocumented and stubborn, not to mention it doesn't support pre flight planning. Listen to Tevek, reconsider Litchi, it's worth every penny you pay for it. For what it does, allows, and controls, it's a high value app IMO that opens up huge doors, including flying beyond radio range (behind a mountain lets say) and returning safely. The best part is their online "MISSION HUB" app provides MSL ground elevations and the altitude deltas between programmed waypoints. The Litchi program goes WAAAYYY beyond what Go4 can do. IMO, the only reason DJI even has waypoint capability is for marketing purposes, to state in their features they support "waypoint flight programming". The only problem is DJI has no interest in making it any better, nor any interest in increasing their liability. They have way too many other things to create or fix in their software, versus enhancing their inept waypoint functionality.

Oh yeah, since you mention firmware changes, IMO you should turn off all auto updates in tour Galaxy, don't update your app, and never update your firmware. If your craft flies well today, there no reason to fix it. Minimize your headaches and stay where you are and have fun flying. There are others who think otherwise, but if you read enough of the testimonies in this forum you'll discover proof of functionality DJI took away to protect themselves, and added restrictions with poor airport/heliport databases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Traveler
I'm with them....Litchi is hands down worth it. It doesn't do as much as Autopilot but it isn't as complicated as that either. Litchi is definitely the way to go.

Litchi for me... unless I am flying over the ocean I use DJI, so if it drops it would be DJI's problem rather then them saying

"it was a 3rd party issue that caused it to fail"

Thanks for all the replies - and arm-twisting. After reviewing the features of Litchi, and taking the Mission Hub for a demo, I decided to go ahead and buy Litchi. I haven't flown with it yet, but when the weather clears up I'll have a go at it. Appreciate the feedback - John.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart