P4 VR 2.0 Slow Drifting in Hover, etc.

Well the new firmware is out and reports are it does NOTHING to fix the drifting problem. One bright note they updated the occusync to version 2 which is amazing in Mavic 2

This issue with DJI seems to have died down, no firmware, no comments, etc.

As I cannot find a way to open a technical support ticket, only a repair ticket on this issue I have kept up with posts on the DJI form.

Has anyone purchased a P4 Pro Vr 2.0 in the past 3 weeks or so that is not seeing the issue?

(Drone drifts on hover and or yaws on hover, doesn't fly in a straight line or fly upwards without angling to the right or left, and after yawing the drone, the motion continues without stick pressure and requires opposite stick pressure to stop)

Just curious if the fix was a EC (engineering change) which required hardware so DJI just added it to drones on the line to fix the issue and have not addressed or will not address issue to drones shipped and in the field.

Issue dates back to Mid June when the Vr 2.0 first shipped.

Paul C

I just purchased my Drone from Koozam authorized retailer on amazon. I do not have any issues. I did update everything to the latest firmware before my first flight though so I'm not sure if that affected it. I received my drone on October 5th.

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy
Well the new firmware is out and reports are it does NOTHING to fix the drifting problem. One bright note they updated the occusync to version 2 which is amazing in Mavic 2

Im quite impressed they just “upgraded” it to Occusync 2.0. I think that means the P4P 2.0 had the same transmission hardware as M2 all along, and DJI allowed us to use it further once M2 was released.

Thank you for the updates. I purchased my v2.0 on 8/17/18 and on 10/3 had complete failure, fell like a rock from 108 feet! Last thing it said was IMU Redundance switch. Doing all the research I can to help prove it wasn't pilot error. Hopefully they they replace it for free--it was so new!! ANyway. your updates are much appreciated because info on the v2.0 is still a bit scarce.

Reactions: DKG13CC
I just purchased my Drone from Koozam authorized retailer on amazon. I do not have any issues. I did update everything to the latest firmware before my first flight though so I'm not sure if that affected it. I received my drone on October 5th.

I updated to the newest firmware before flight also, but that wasnt the MOST recent release. I wonder if that does help though.

I just want to chime in and add that I have a P4 Pro v1. My v1 is probably the last of them produced, bought back in June 2018 with terrible yaw drift, exactly as explained by the P4 Pro V2 guys. What's interesting is l had a P4 Pro v1 LAST year (June 2017) that didn't have any of these issues. (that phantom is gone because I took off after rushing on a shoot and not seating the battery completely, you can guess what happened 45 seconds into the flight). Anyway my point is, there seems to be some overlap of this issue on v1 and v2 manufactured around the same time. Maybe parts of the IMU and FC sensors were sourced the same.

Most importantly, I can't find any solutions to this mess and the chatter has died down. Does anyone have anything new to say on the issue? Thanks guys.

No solutions seem to be available. Chatter has died down, not sure if because DJI fixed it on later shipments of the Vr 2.0 or folks just don't notice it. When P5 does get announced I will be on the bench for a while until others have tested the new product to see if this issue has carried forward.

The MP2 is rock solid with Occusync 2 no drift at all, but the P4 Pro vr 2.0 just drifts.

I was considering the Typhoon H Plus to replace the P4 Vr 2.0, but it has no exposure bracketing, which for my work is important.

Where the yaw drift impacts me the most, is in a exposure situation (mainly a sunset/sunrise) where the 5 shot exposure bracket can't cover the Dynamic range needed. With the drift, by the time you change the shutter speed for the next 5 shots, the drone will have drifted enough (usually to the right) where the 10 shots will not line up. You won't need all ten, but for a good balanced shot, you will need 1 or 2 from each series. There are ways to line them up in Photoshop, but since the lens has considerable retro focus distortion, even a slight movement of yaw will make the images have difficulties aligning due to differences in distortion towards the edges. This is one reason I continue to use the 4:3 ratio as the issues of both yaw drift and lens distortion as lessened. Yes you lose overall resolution, but since I am working for a multishot pano, it's not that big an issue.

Paul C

No solutions seem to be available. Chatter has died down, not sure if because DJI fixed it on later shipments of the Vr 2.0 or folks just don't notice it. When P5 does get announced I will be on the bench for a while until others have tested the new product to see if this issue has carried forward.

The MP2 is rock solid with Occusync 2 no drift at all, but the P4 Pro vr 2.0 just drifts.

I was considering the Typhoon H Plus to replace the P4 Vr 2.0, but it has no exposure bracketing, which for my work is important.

Where the yaw drift impacts me the most, is in a exposure situation (mainly a sunset/sunrise) where the 5 shot exposure bracket can't cover the Dynamic range needed. With the drift, by the time you change the shutter speed for the next 5 shots, the drone will have drifted enough (usually to the right) where the 10 shots will not line up. You won't need all ten, but for a good balanced shot, you will need 1 or 2 from each series. There are ways to line them up in Photoshop, but since the lens has considerable retro focus distortion, even a slight movement of yaw will make the images have difficulties aligning due to differences in distortion towards the edges. This is one reason I continue to use the 4:3 ratio as the issues of both yaw drift and lens distortion as lessened. Yes you lose overall resolution, but since I am working for a multishot pano, it's not that big an issue.

Paul C

This is exactly my problem, bracketing and lining up multiple images for HDR or panos. The drift ruins any chance of a decent image

I'm using my P4 for video only so my struggles are quite different. Mainly that the forward movement of the vehicle is never dead centered, and then when I come to a stop it seems to yaw on its own slightly.

I had read one promising fix from DJI on the forums that said we should run the gimbal calibration not level, but with the P4 on its back, camera facing up. This was supposed to fix the center point on the gimbal... but hasn't worked for me.

I have an original Mavic Pro and it has none of these problems.

Reactions: Paul2660
I don't think many are buying this drone anymore. Been out of stock many places. People moved on to the MP2. I too love the MP2 but for video it can't touch the P4P or P4PV2

I don't think many are buying this drone anymore. Been out of stock many places. People moved on to the MP2. I too love the MP2 but for video it can't touch the P4P or P4PV2

Ive thought this myself. With the vast majority of users very pleased with their MP2, I believe DJI has swept us V2 owners under the rug and placed furniture on top of us.

if thats the case I'm thinking the problem is most certainly a hardware fault. Because if my first earlier build P4 Pro didn't have this problem, but my later built one did along with nearly all the p4prov2, it seems something was "updated" or sourced cheaper to build it. Even if a fix does come down the road its likely to be a sense dulling software fix that compromises something else to achieve a locked yaw. :(

Im starting to suspect the compass module was changed mid-run of the V1 and continued in use on the V2. As my phantom drifts, the orange arrow on my map doesnt follow it.

Reactions: Paul2660
I'm using my P4 for video only so my struggles are quite different. Mainly that the forward movement of the vehicle is never dead centered, and then when I come to a stop it seems to yaw on its own slightly.

I had read one promising fix from DJI on the forums that said we should run the gimbal calibration not level, but with the P4 on its back, camera facing up. This was supposed to fix the center point on the gimbal... but hasn't worked for me.

I have an original Mavic Pro and it has none of these problems.

Same problem in flight. Either pulls to right during flight which I can correct for with sticks. Or after a flight forwards and coming to a stop the drone yaws to right. Can be edited out in post but a pain. The issue for me is more for stills and bracketing.

Paul C

Im starting to suspect the compass module was changed mid-run of the V1 and continued in use on the V2. As my phantom drifts, the orange arrow on my map doesnt follow it.

Another good point. My compass always stays in place and does not reflect the yaw rotation

Paul C

I think it a software problem , or something, my mavic air 2 and air 2s has no drift, but my phantom pro v2, drifts, I use the same smart controller, on all three, tried everything and still drifts...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers