P4 v2 battery case crack - before I need to panic.....

Reaction score
I purchased a P4P v2 about 12 months ago (used but with only 12 hours flight time) Previous to this i had done my apprenticeship on a Mavic Air which i still regularly fly.
When i bought the P4, i knew it had a slight crack above (what i will call) the number 1 LED light.
The P4 came with 2 batteries , one had the crack, one did not.
Fast forward 12 months and around 50 hours total P4 time both have cracks in the same position on the no.1 LED with the first getting a bit longer.

Now - before i panic and have to get new batteries, Is this a concern to anyone? It seems the issue is with the cover plate as there is no sign whatsoever of the actual battery bloating or getting bigger,
I also don't have any issue with the install or removal of the batteries or the performance and flight time of the P4v2.

I generally fly in conditions around 15-35 deg Celsius (I live in Australia and dont have to put up with the freezing temps in the US currently !!!)

Had anyone had these cracking issues and is it a problem?

Attachments

• IMG-7709.jpg
    IMG-7709.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG-7710.jpg
    IMG-7710.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 205
Reactions: Martin Healy
Here's what causes those cracks:

1556999072555.png

I guess it could become a serious issue if the crack becomes large enough. At that point, the battery might not be able to securely stay snapped into the drone.

My P4 batteries have the same cracks only much worse. I agree with msinger that the springs of the battery clips are the cause - too many people have reported these cracks all in the same position. I always hand catch my P4 so it has never had any hard landings.

Can anyone describe how to remove the top cover of the battery without breaking the plastic. I think that it would be a good idea to remove the top cover and epoxy glue a small metal plate under the point that the spring contacts the case. This would spread the load and hopefully stops the spring breaking right through the case - potentially allowing the battery to fall out of the bird during flight.

All the best, Martin

Reactions: Jim Canada
Probably wouldn't even have to glue down the protective plate. Simply slipping it under the spring would probably keep it in place.

Looks like it took a bit of prying to get that battery top off, msinger. Was it ultimatey just those 4 little side tabs holding it on?

Reactions: BigL
I'd give those cracks a spot of superglue. If the gap was too wide, first I would attempt to clamp it closed a bit, and perhaps add some baking soda to fill the gap.

Search "superglue and baking soda" and you will get lots of examples of how this works.

Reactions: skymonkey
I purchased a P4P v2 about 12 months ago (used but with only 12 hours flight time) Previous to this i had done my apprenticeship on a Mavic Air which i still regularly fly.
When i bought the P4, i knew it had a slight crack above (what i will call) the number 1 LED light.
The P4 came with 2 batteries , one had the crack, one did not.
Fast forward 12 months and around 50 hours total P4 time both have cracks in the same position on the no.1 LED with the first getting a bit longer.

Now - before i panic and have to get new batteries, Is this a concern to anyone? It seems the issue is with the cover plate as there is no sign whatsoever of the actual battery bloating or getting bigger,
I also don't have any issue with the install or removal of the batteries or the performance and flight time of the P4v2.

I generally fly in conditions around 15-35 deg Celsius (I live in Australia and dont have to put up with the freezing temps in the US currently !!!)

Had anyone had these cracking issues and is it a problem?
Don’t panic bud i have one battery the same and has been like it for 3 years , no problems.

Reactions: MTO
Thanks everyone for your input, I am pleased it is not an immediate problem. I will continue to keep an eye o the cracks and hope they don't develop too much more.

I have 4 P4 v1 batteries and they all have this 'feature' to some degree, never had any issues but I do check/inspect the catches regularly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic