P4 ND filter advise needed

I just received my DJI ND8 and ND16 filters made especially for the Phantom 4. They are not the DJI P3P/A filters, rather, custom made for the P4. I don't know if the glass is different, but, they are finished exactly like the P4 camera and OEM lens cover. I debated over the Polar Pros, but, given the cost of the DJI ND filters I expected an easy on/off thread match and quality glass. I was not disappointed. I also like the fact the outside finish is exactly the same as the camera and the weight is no different. More expensive than the Polar Pro set... but, DJI product made especially for the Phantom 4 with perfect matching threads and finish. Just another option for some of you to consider.

If you found this thread and are still debating on which brand of filters to purchase, go with Polar Pro. The customer service is outstanding, but if you've been reading through these posts you've probably already figured that out by now. Just got done exchanging emails with Jeff regarding my Polar Pro lenses and he went above and beyond my expectations as a customer. I was a happy customer before this and now, as I told him in my last email, I'm a customer for life. I will not hesitate to purchase from Polar Pro in the future.
Thanks Jeff.

Edit: And their products are great as well!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Another happy Polar Pro customer who was taken care of by Jeff. Their products ship fast, when the P4 filters were released Jeff offered to exchange the P3 ones I had purchased. And he sent me their gimbal lock that works with their filters, which I just received today and it as smooth as butter to install. Their shipping times are fast too.

Hey Jeff, if I purchase a set of filters from your site can I also get the new gimbal guard for free?

I just ordered my Phantom 4 yesterday and had planned to order some cheaper ND Filters until I ran across the feedback and customer service on this thread. Bought the Cinema Series Vivid Collection and can't wait to try everything out.

Reactions: PolarPro
Just got my polarpro filter set today. I tested out the cp filter and the colors are pretty good. Sky looks nice and blue. Here are a couple pics of my set. Jeff's customer service was great, thanks again . I'll test the nd4 and nd8 tomorrow and will give you an update . I'm new using ND filters if you have any recommendations on what's the best setting for my p4 let me know thanks.

Attachments

• 1463014039108.jpg
    1463014039108.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 219
  • 1463014052427.jpg
    1463014052427.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 1463014084732.jpg
    1463014084732.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 253
  • 1463014127112.jpg
    1463014127112.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 243
I always shoot with d-log. Did it still applicable if I use polarized filter? I would like to go for the vivid series

I always shoot with d-log. Did it still applicable if I use polarized filter? I would like to go for the vivid series
Yah Polarizers are very useful even when shooting in d-log.
They help reduce light bouncing back into the camera (glare) which is nearly impossible to remove in post.
The Vivid Series will help improve color saturation by reducing glare, making it a bit easier to color grade

Jeff

Phantom 4 arrived yesterday and the Polar Pro Cinema Series (Vivid) came in today just in time to make the first flight. I think the picture looks awesome but I need to do some learning in the frame rate/camera setting department. Since I was short on time, I had the camera in auto mode and I recorded this in 1080p 120fps. I planned on fast forwarding this part to be pretty fast but when I played the footage back, it was VERYYYY slow so this clip is like 730% playspeed lol. Like I said, I still need to do some learning so I film in optimum settings but thats another topic! Here's a short video clip using the ND4/PL.

And Jeff, Thank you very much for sending the gimble lock!

Hello all
I purchased taco filters last week for my dji 4 :

eBay

However I found them a bit heavy as the gimble points down with them on while not powered on.
Also the secure cap will not fit on gimble with taco filters on as they are to bulky for it.
As a concern to the gimble failing in the future I contacted DJI direct and they advice me not to use them as my warantee might void as the taco filters are not certify for DJI products
Bellow the email from DJI
I decited to return them after all.

Storeagent03 (DJI)
5月12日 21:02

Dear Danikas,

Thank you very much for your email. Sorry to let you know that we do not recommend you to add other accessories on Phantom 4, because once if it caused any damage, the warranty for your Phantom 4 will be waived. Hope you could understand.

If you need any other help, please feel free to let me know.

Wish you have a great day.

Warm regards,
DJI Online Store

Hello all
I purchased taco filters last week for my dji 4 :

eBay

However I found them a bit heavy as the gimble points down with them on while not powered on.
Also the secure cap will not fit on gimble with taco filters on as they are to bulky for it.
As a concern to the gimble failing in the future I contacted DJI direct and they advice me not to use them as my warantee might void as the taco filters are not certify for DJI products
Bellow the email from DJI
I decited to return them after all.

Storeagent03 (DJI)
5月12日 21:02

Dear Danikas,

Thank you very much for your email. Sorry to let you know that we do not recommend you to add other accessories on Phantom 4, because once if it caused any damage, the warranty for your Phantom 4 will be waived. Hope you could understand.

If you need any other help, please feel free to let me know.

Wish you have a great day.

Warm regards,
DJI Online Store

Um, the gimbal always points downward when its not on, thats normal even without an ND filter on. As far as them voiding your warranty though, thats a crock of horse sh!t. They would never know for one and two there is nothing saying you cant add an ND filter considering DJI sells their own branded ones which are the same size and weight.

Um, the gimbal always points downward when its not on, thats normal even without an ND filter on. As far as them voiding your warranty though, thats a crock of horse sh!t. They would never know for one and two there is nothing saying you cant add an ND filter considering DJI sells their own branded ones which are the same size and weight.

ok lets clarify this:
-the gimble does not point straight down its pointing low right when on original filter at about -60.
This is how you can established that the system is short of factory specked and correctly balanced.
Once i installed the taco filters it pointed all the way down with lenses pointed -90. face down.
That to me indicates change on gravity and heavy at front of camera.
Also DJI will know if use of filters since when you upload all those videos and telemetries of last flights as we all do ,the use of a ND filter shows on the quality of the image and low shutter speed etc.
I do not know if the weight of all the ND filters are the same ,but i compared my taco versus original and they are heavier.

And since the gimble is sensitive on its three axis balancing with tiny motors working constantly to keep it steady on flight conditions with such gforces while flying i should worry about excessive wear and tear on the tiny motors for example due to incorrect balance or shifting on the gimbles center of gravity by an overweight filter.
If DJI says do not use them i want .
This gimble design is of a NEW type and only recently introduced in the market on f4
In any case the after market filter companies that claim "phantom 4 compatibility" ,should state also if they are certify to be used with those drones and not just to fit.Just my own thoughts though coming from an Engineering Background....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav