P4 Fell out of sky

Reaction score
looking for assistance in identifying the root cause of P4 falling .

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

1. The P4 was over the roof , moved sideways and fell 1m onto the roof.
2. Battery came out after impact.

Error logs show battery is in good condition, is it possible there is a catastrophic power failure ?

I’m no expert, but I think you might need more detailed information from your Phantom. It would tell important things like what the motors are doing and sensor status.

To me everything looks ok if you didn’t hit anything?

is it possible there is a catastrophic power failure ?
It certainly appears that way, but the logs end so abruptly there was no time to update the last data points. The only thing noticeable is the gimbal angle abruptly changes at 39.4 seconds, and GIMBAL.isPitchinLimit goes "True" which indicates to me that the Gimbal lost power, and in turn the rest of the aircraft. I have seen this occur many times with the P4's. It is a flaw, but as to where has yet to be determined. Either the battery wasn't properly latched and disconnected, or there is another contact issue. Since you said the battery popped out from a 1 meter drop, I suspect the former of the above.

I’m no expert, but I think you might need more detailed information from your Phantom. It would tell important things like what the motors are doing and sensor status.

To me everything looks ok if you didn’t hit anything?
thanks for the reply, did not hit anything , just fell as if it turned off. really strange

It certainly appears that way, but the logs end so abruptly there was no time to update the last data points. The only thing noticeable is the gimbal angle abruptly changes at 39.4 seconds, and GIMBAL.isPitchinLimit goes "True" which indicates to me that the Gimbal lost power, and in turn the rest of the aircraft. I have seen this occur many times with the P4's. It is a flaw, but as to where has yet to be determined. Either the battery wasn't properly latched and disconnected, or there is another contact issue. Since you said the battery popped out from a 1 meter drop, I suspect the former of the above.

Good information, was trying to identify the tell tail signs of power failure. Battery does feel loose by design.
Just purchased a new P4P Obsidian and tested with 2 batteries ( new = sloppy, old = tight).

thanks for your help.

Reactions: RodPad
Findings,

1. Replacing the power port module fixes the loose battery issue
2. Damaged insulation. Not sure how this happened.

Observations - top of gimbal is very close to the flight controller.

Conclusion,
After 2 flame out situations on 1 of the many p4 I fly, I suspect either power port module or internal short circuit is the main cause of the sudden power loss situation.

power port.jpg wiring.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj