P3S Required Add Ons

Reaction score
What would be the required, not nice to have..."add ons" to the a stock P3S for a "noobe". I have prop guards, controller labels, and sun screen for tablet.

Suggestions?

A set of ND filters would be nice. I use my ND filters all the time and they really improve the pictures. Also unless you are flying in tight quarters prop guards are completely unnecessary. I had a pair when I first got my P3s and all they did was make the phantom louder and the battery die quicker. Do you have the phantom yet?

I bought a gimbal protector that snaps onto the legs. Probably won’t help in a major crash but I like having it there. In case of a landing where something might hit the gimbal it should help. Definitely going to get ND filters once winter wraps up. Enjoy your P3

That "gimbal guard" actually protects the landing gears as it gives them better support by securing them Both together....I sure like mine for that fact ! and i land my drone on a 3 by 3 foot nice set of thin plywood ! and always have that camera pointing straight out or UP when landing just in case you land slight canted forward !

That "gimbal guard" actually protects the landing gears as it gives them better support by securing them Both together....I sure like mine for that fact ! and i land my drone on a 3 by 3 foot nice set of thin plywood ! and always have that camera pointing straight out or UP when landing just in case you land slight canted forward !
A nice add on would be a Pre Flight check list too !...if you only try to remember them....well you might pass over a few things...make a check list and go over it before you take that quad to the skies above !

Motor covers for when you have the props off. A good lens cleaner. A good app like Hover or Airmap. A fast 32GB or 64GB SD card...

If you haven’t done so already, consider putting a contact phone number on your bird somewhere. Mine has “Reward if Found” with my cell number for an occasion it doesn’t return home in a timely manner. A label maker is ideal for this application, and can be used also to add your FAA number if you are in the US and register your Phantom.

Also consider a tracker such as Trackimo or Marco Polo. I use the Marco Polo due to limited GPS/cell coverage in my area. There are many choices out there, and each drone owner has their preferences.

Having a tracker means that if the drone goes down or is ‘lost’, you should be able to recover it quickly. Otherwise you may be searching for hours or days for the wayward bird. I never fly without my tracker on board. Blue Skies and Calm Winds !! [emoji106]

A set of ND filters would be nice. I use my ND filters all the time and they really improve the pictures. Also unless you are flying in tight quarters prop guards are completely unnecessary. I had a pair when I first got my P3s and all they did was make the phantom louder and the battery die quicker. Do you have the phantom yet?
Yes .

I bought a gimbal protector that snaps onto the legs. Probably won’t help in a major crash but I like having it there. In case of a landing where something might hit the gimbal it should help. Definitely going to get ND filters once winter wraps up. Enjoy your P3
I saw the gimbal protector and wondered what would happen to drone stability if landing in grass or terrain that was higher than the protector. It seems the probability of drone damage would be higher if the landing zone was uneven with a protector. I haven't been able to fly the drone yet because of weather so not familiar with landing in grass or uneven terrain.

Check out my P3S must-have list here.
Thanks for the checklist. I have a question on the FAA registration requirement. I see there are two types of registration and not sure which one would apply to me. Does the "Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft" (I will only fly for recreation purposes) require a membership to a flying club to be eligible for this designation? Any clarification would be appreciated.

Does the "Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft" (I will only fly for recreation purposes) require a membership to a flying club to be eligible for this designation?
No. You just need to follow the rules listed in the table on this page.

Like captainmilehigh said, put your contact info (at least a phone number) with a request to call you on a weatherproof label somewhere on the bird. I can't say enough about that. Thank God I was smart enough to do that because that label was ONLY thing that reunited me with my Phantom when it disconnected and I lost contact with it last summer. I got a phone call, so it definitely worked for me. I had to drive 3 hrs back to where it went MIA, but a small price to pay to actually get it back.

A Terrific * > ADDON < * is Adding knowledge to your Brain about...."Flying a Expensive Drone".......It is very impossible to read the manual when its in the air..READ READ READ then go fly )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Last edited:
Extra batteries!

I bought a second battery as soon as I got my P3S thinking that 2 batteries would be an absolute minimum. In reality, I have yet to take advantage of the second one: turned out that the P3S flight time is enough for me to cover a specific location, and I never did multiple locations on the same day.
Everybody has different needs of course, but my point is: considering the price of a P3S battery, wait until you find yourself needing an extra one.

Reactions: Droning in AR
I saw the gimbal protector and wondered what would happen to drone stability if landing in grass or terrain that was higher than the protector. It seems the probability of drone damage would be higher if the landing zone was uneven with a protector. I haven't been able to fly the drone yet because of weather so not familiar with landing in grass or uneven terrain.
I carry a neat small 4X4 landing pad....I have the "gimbal protectors" and they do interfere with deep grass.... and When you want to land with a hand catch that's good too..."Becare of them four spinning blades too"...and catch it as close as you can to the main body of the drone where the pod comes off it....please be careful !

Reactions: AndrewCCM

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers