P3S "Home point not recorded"

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm struggling with my P3S to set the home point.

Each time I start the drone I recalibrate the compass etc and she's Ready to Fly. Half of the time I wait 30 seconds and there is an audible voice saying "Home point has been reset".

But the other half of the time I have to not fly because the drone won't set the home point. I had 9 sats earlier, good signal, no interference but there wasn't an audible voice "Home point has been reset"

I've then gone into the settings and tried to set the home point manually and the message comes up to say that the current aircraft position will become the home point. I tap OK and then a message on the left says "Home point not recorded".

I've read that the drone records the home point on each startup but without the audible notification or confirmation I don't take off for obvious reasons.

I powered the P3S off and on 5 times in the home the voice would confirm the home point set but nothing. I read on the forum search that the drone sets the home point on each startup so does that mean I don't need the voice confirmation? Surely hitting OK to reset the home point would say set or something.

Any ideas guys as I'm finding this a rather frustrating experience as I use the drone for my YouTube channel and shots are essential.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Thombo73
I have a P3S too. I usually have the speech turned off so it doesn’t announce home point recorded. I mostly use Litchi so I check for the little green H which indicates the home point. It should be pretty similar for the GO app too. As long as the home point is indicated on your screen you should be ok.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
First off, don't calibrate the compass. If the app isn't complaining and the Phantom flies straight, leave it alone. you are more likely to get a bad calibration.
GPS needs a clear line of sight to the sky. trees, buildings, a hand on top - all can and will shield the satellite view.

What firmware and app version are you using? Sound switched on?
As Chrislaf says, look for the green H on the map. It should be where you are.

I've read that the drone records the home point on each startup but without the audible notification or confirmation I don't take off for obvious reasons.
Here's what you'll see on the map when the home point has been set:

016eaed825569cb72e56ebaf09107a3c.jpg

First off, don't calibrate the compass. If the app isn't complaining and the Phantom flies straight, leave it alone. you are more likely to get a bad calibration.
A lot of people say this, but I've never seen anyone post a flight log here that showed an issue caused by a bad compass calibration. While I don't think it's impossible to incorrectly calibrate the compass, you'd have to be holding your Phantom about 1 foot away from a magnetic metal object during the calibration process to potentially successfully pull that off. When we see compass issues in this forum, they are almost always caused by someone launching near a magnetic metal object.

Hi,

I use my iPhone SE with the DJI GO App. I only calibrate the compass because the app says "compass is stuck" so I reset it. I don't have the map view/screen that was posted above. Just the camera view on the DJI GO app.

I was at the beach earlier with perfect sunny weather so there's no obstructions etc. The frustrating part is that on the OK pop up for setting the home point, it even gives me the position and altitude. But when you click OK the warning comes up "Home point not recorded".

Here's a link I found online to the DJI app home point.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170207/78533b1defb7941437a5d8c9b601d614.jpg

The software version on my drone and app are the latest versions (all updated last week).

A lot of people say this, but I've never seen anyone post a flight log here that showed an issue caused by a bad compass calibration.
Here's a few that were attributed specifically to a "bad compass calibration." These were just the first few in a simple search, but there are dozens more like these with and without posted flight logs.
It feels like you've seen this issue (bad compass calibration) and noted it yourself dozens of times. I'm confused and I'm sure that I must be misunderstanding your comment above. Given your stature here on the forum, there are likely others confused as well. If you don't mind, could you please clarify?

Can someone help me with these errors?
Advanced - Phantom 3 Advanced Flyaway (Almost)
Compass problem with adv
P4 Just started drifting at full speed.
Fly away after upgrading firmware
Professional - Beginner question : 3rd crash - WTH??

Reactions: RodPad and 120CCPM
My issue is not compass related, please feel free to post a new thread regarding those issues. My issue is related to the drone/app's ability to follow my instruction to set the startup location as the home point. If this is supposed to be automatic upon startup, it is not happening reliably and consistently. This is regardless of how open the location is.

Any reset or guidance would be much appreciated. Would the Litchi app be more reliable for a home point set.

Regards,

Tom

Here's a few that were attributed specifically to a "bad compass calibration."
Attributing and proving are two different things.

It feels like you've seen this issue (bad compass calibration) and noted it yourself dozens of times. I'm confused and I'm sure that I must be misunderstanding your comment above. Given your stature here on the forum, there are likely others confused as well. If you don't mind, could you please clarify?
You've linked to a bunch of old posts above. While those assumptions were quite accurate at that time, they are no longer something I'd assume today. As flight log tools get better and I take the time to review more flight logs, it's now easy to see it's a non-issue. Please refer to this post for my current opinion on this topic.

you can set the home point manually in the app if it doesn't auto update

Any reset or guidance would be much appreciated. Would the Litchi app be more reliable for a home point set.

Regards,

Tom

What device are you using and does it have cellular data? My map which is in bottom left corner on DJI GO updates in my iphone 7 because it can use my data connection and therefore can show the home point and where the AC is in real time. You say you don’t have the map view at all, just the camera view. Is this because the device doesn’t have data? Although, Litchi is a great program, I don’t think it will make a difference here because if I’m not mistaken the AC records the home point and the display device just shows it. Also, no use paying around $30 for Litchi and getting the same result. Hopefully some more knowledgeable people will chime in with a solution for you.

I don’t think it will make a difference here because if I’m not mistaken the AC records the home point and the display device just shows it.
That's correct.

Tap the radar screen in lower left of the screen and the map should show up. The home point should show on screen even if the map doesn't show and no audio prompts. If there is no home point on the map, then dont fly.
I do know that audio prompts can be unreliable for multiple reasons. Been there.

Reactions: LarBear360
Tap the radar screen in lower left of the screen and the map should show up. The home point should show on screen even if the map doesn't show and no audio prompts. If there is no home point on the map, then dont fly.
I do know that audio prompts can be unreliable for multiple reasons. Been there.

Hi, thanks for the reply and taking to time to read my issue. I've looked at the small map and enlarged, there's still no home point. Its so strange because sometimes I'll go out to the same spot and after 30 seconds, the home point will reset. Then others, nothing, even after 3/4 resets. I've had to fly the drone a few times without setting the home point which isn't something I ever want to do again but after a 2 hr round trip to a location, it's not exactly what I paid for last year.

Is the P3S just too basic? I'd rather pay a bit more and have reliability.

Hi, thanks for the reply and taking to time to read my issue. I've looked at the small map and enlarged, there's still no home point. Its so strange because sometimes I'll go out to the same spot and after 30 seconds, the home point will reset. Then others, nothing, even after 3/4 resets. I've had to fly the drone a few times without setting the home point which isn't something I ever want to do again but after a 2 hr round trip to a location, it's not exactly what I paid for last year.

Is the P3S just too basic? I'd rather pay a bit more and have reliability.
Again you can set the home point manually in the app so no reason to fly without it. I always set mine manually even if it auto updates I still set it manually. once you start the AC tap the AC icon on the screen a window will pop up at the top right corner you will see the little man with upside down tear drop tap it and it will tell you your home point has been set
20170926_103231.jpg
20170926_103315.jpg
20170926_103251.jpg

@Speedingtube

Welcome to the forum!

Hum this thread got a little goofy,

Yes the audio doesn't always report home point, it could be processor speed of the mobile device?

I have noticed and others should agree, that some times it spits out three or more annunciations so fast.
That I wonder what was that? o_O

#1 Play back your flights in DJI-Go see if you see something different.
#2 Load up your flights to @msinger s log viewer DJI Flight Log Viewer, see if it shows home point set.

There has been other posts people trying to set a home point manually and getting the message of home point failed, but It was already set anyways, I thought this was because the mobile device?

As far as I know, safe to fly GPS, your home-point should be saved?
Anybody else on this statement?

Rod

Attributing and proving are two different things.

You've linked to a bunch of old posts above. While those assumptions were quite accurate at that time, they are no longer something I'd assume today. As flight log tools get better and I take the time to review more flight logs, it's now easy to see it's a non-issue. Please refer to this post for my current opinion on this topic.

Refer to this post?
That is the post that @Oso was replying to. :rolleyes:

Something in your wording is very confusing, it has to be to others also.

OP's turn to post... ;)

Rod

Reactions: Oso
Something in your wording is very confusing, it has to be to others also.
My post above is confusing? I thought it was pretty straightforward.

@Oso was questioning why I said a bad compass calibration could have caused some compass-related issues in the past. It's a valid point.

@Speedingtube,

Have you played back any of your flight logs?

Were still here to help.
We learn more from answers than questions. ;)

Rod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72