P3S Compass Errors

Reaction score
Hi
Was out earlier for a quick flight. Temp about 5C to 6C, flying on a huge expanse of shoreline - no buildings within several miles, no metal nearby.
IMU calibrated last night, compass calibrated before the flight - about 20 ft away from my flight bag and gear.
First flight, all seemed good then as I was returning I got the compass error- Atti mode. That fixed itself briefly, then again, compass error - Atti mode.
2nd flight - same thing - compass error - Atti mode. This time it didn't auto fix and toggling S1 didn't help. Brought it home in Atti.
3rd flight - no problems
So, I have a few questions:
In a compass error state -
will RTH work?
can I trust the map/radar info - ie position and direction
if compass error happens when I'm at or near the signal max range, a 10mph wind could quickly take it out of signal - see Q1
should I request a warranty repair? I'm really not comfortable with this compass error situation.
Here are my HD logs
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
Almost tempted to bring my old trusty P2V out of retirement - it just works!

Hi
Was out earlier for a quick flight. Temp about 5C to 6C, flying on a huge expanse of shoreline - no buildings within several miles, no metal nearby.
IMU calibrated last night, compass calibrated before the flight - about 20 ft away from my flight bag and gear.
First flight, all seemed good then as I was returning I got the compass error- Atti mode. That fixed itself briefly, then again, compass error - Atti mode.
2nd flight - same thing - compass error - Atti mode. This time it didn't auto fix and toggling S1 didn't help. Brought it home in Atti.
3rd flight - no problems
So, I have a few questions:
will RTH work?
if compass error happens when I'm at or near the signal max range, a 10mph wind could quickly take it out of signal - see Q1
should I request a warranty repair? I'm really not comfortable with this compass error situation.
Here are my HD logs
Almost tempted to bring my old trusty P2V out of retirement - it just works!
Did you updated fw last time?

will RTH work?
It might work correctly or it might work incorrectly. You can't be sure.
No
should I request a warranty repair?
If calibration or a firmware change doesn't fix the problem, yes.

Reactions: PaulSouthport
I'm keeping an eye on the forums, there are a few reports. I have contacted DJI to see what they make of the flight logs.
Tantkk I don't think I can go to 1.5.7 from 1.7.90

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm running the same firmware versions and I too have had short Compass Error messages come up. Additionally, I have had more Magnetic Interferrence messages display than I had before the update. I chalk some of my error messages for flying in a suburban neighborhood where home WIFI can be VERY problematic. Scary situations when the screen goes from Green to Red, even if just for a second or few.

Ok thanks.
In fact DJI have offered a RMA warranty repair, so I'll be sending it to them, I don't want to be their beta tester, unless they give me free stuff!

I was getting compass errors before I upgraded the firmware and still do.very seldom do I get a whole flight without them.and yes rth still works with the error

Sent from my SM-T550 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Had my p3s for about 4 weeks, all's been good up to today, did firmware update last week, as I was prompted via phone on app.
Anyway today first flight ok, second gave compass stopped working contact dji ! What's all this about? Been fine before now.
Restated it all and it did it again, then restarted 3rd time and all was good.. bit puzzled, any ideas pls folk?
thanks Gary

Sent from my Moto G (4) using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.