P3S ANTENNA

Reaction score
Hey! I needed some help with knowing how I should adjust my antenna for flight. I'm looking to get more sky range than far range, so vertically. Pics of the antenna
f252fe26c346dbf8a114c8a4f9c71870.jpg
30a02d5b975df5a28bfa3d83139dcc73.jpg

Generally you want the antenna on your RC to be parallel with the antenna on the P3S (or whatever you're flying) and directed towards your P3S. The antenna on your drone is in the vertical leg of the landing frame. You can easily experiment with this. Fly your drone out about 500 feet and 200 feet up with a clear line of sight. Let it hover and play with your RC antenna and watch the bar meter next to the rc icon on the top of the DJI Go app. You want to see what gives you your best reading. If you can't get a deflection, back the drone further away.

Reactions: Spectre_
I like to position my antenna like shown in your second photo above. I found that's the easiest way for me to keep the long side of the antenna pointed at my Phantom.

Reactions: Spectre_
I like to position my antenna like shown in your second photo above. I found that's the easiest way for me to keep the long side of the antenna pointed at my Phantom.
Thank you because above 500 feet I get poor range so ill position my antenna better.

Thank you because above 500 feet I get poor range so ill position my antenna better.
I've seen from past threads that you're in the U.S. You shouldn't be flying above 400 feet, per FAA rules.

I've seen from past threads that you're in the U.S. You shouldn't be flying above 400 feet, per FAA rules.
Like he said, it's a suggestion. Its only forced if you're within t miles of an airport, but it's not like I'm going to fly all 1000 feet.

Like he said, it's a suggestion. Its only forced if you're within t miles of an airport, but it's not like I'm going to fly all 1000 feet.
It's a suggestion until another aircraft hits or comes close to hitting a drone flying above the recommended altitude. Then all kinds of laws get passed and flying will get much more restricted, like it is in Canada and any other number of countries.

It's a suggestion until another aircraft hits or comes close to hitting a drone flying above the recommended altitude. Then all kinds of laws get passed and flying will get much more restricted, like it is in Canada and any other number of countries.

So yer saying we should stay under 400 feet so we aren't required to stay under 400 feet?

So yer saying we should stay under 400 feet so we aren't required to stay under 400 feet?
What I wrote should be easy enough to understand.

In case you haven't been paying attention, regulations are getting much tighter in other countries, and some communities in the U.S. are trying to ban drones completely. The hobby is already subject to a great deal of negative attention in the media.

The 400-foot guideline is in place for a reason. Airplanes are supposed to stay above 500 feet unless they're landing or taking off. If hobbyists start flying up into their airspace, close calls or even strikes are inevitable. The backlash will lead to much greater restrictions than we have now, if not outright bans.

So what I'm saying is, stay under 400 feet so you aren't grounded completely.

In another thread the OP, a brand-new, inexperienced 14-year-old pilot, wanted to fly his new drone right down the Las Vegas Strip. I suggest maybe he gain some experience and adhere to the FAA guidelines, at least until he knows what he's doing.

Last edited:
What I wrote should be easy enough to understand.

In case you haven't been paying attention, regulations are getting much tighter in other countries, and some communities in the U.S. are trying to ban drones completely. The hobby is already subject to a great deal of negative attention in the media.

The 400-foot guideline is in place for a reason. Airplanes are supposed to stay above 500 feet unless they're landing or taking off. If hobbyists start flying up into their airspace, close calls or even strikes are inevitable. The backlash will lead to much greater restrictions than we have now, if not outright bans.

So what I'm saying is, stay under 400 feet so you aren't grounded completely.

In another thread the OP, a brand-new, inexperienced 14-year-old pilot, wanted to fly his new drone right down the Las Vegas Strip. I suggest maybe he gain some experience and adhere to the FAA guidelines, at least until he knows what he's doing.
I know what I am doing, I had replied saying that I knew that it was irresponsible and only asked if it was possible. Just be thankful I didn't do it, don't be a ****.

Last edited:

No it's not required, but probably a good idea. Funny I see small commuter planes over my neighborhood all the time and they were no more then 300ft above me. So there not following the "rules" either...i know cause my drone was 400ft and I was above them. They do it all the time. I'm sure it's that way a lot of places...

No it's not required, but probably a good idea. Funny I see small commuter planes over my neighborhood all the time and they were no more then 300ft above me. So there not following the "rules" either...i know cause my drone was 400ft and I was above them. They do it all the time. I'm sure it's that way a lot of places...
Agree. It's not like I was going to go above 600 feet as I stated to the guy before me trying to make a mockery of me by stating I wanted to fly on the strip... Doesn't everyone? In the introduction, I asked if I could then replied to an answer saying that I knew that it wasn't very responsible and that I wouldn't and he says I need to get experience.

Agree. It's not like I was going to go above 600 feet as I stated to the guy before me trying to make a mockery of me by stating I wanted to fly on the strip... Doesn't everyone? In the introduction, I asked if I could then replied to an answer saying that I knew that it wasn't very responsible and that I wouldn't and he says I need to get experience.

How are we to know you're not going to go above 600 feet? You're looking for help because you're already having problems above 500 feet, so why stop there? You're already above the FAA's guidelines.

And you do need more experience.

Canada is the exception. Where I live there are some restrictions. In Taipei city max height is 60m and some areas are NFZ. Outside of Taipei different rules apply. Also in Australia you can fly to max height outside of controlled airspace.

If the OP is getting signal loss because of interference he may want to get an Argtek Antenna. I have done 15000 ft distance on mine.

How are we to know you're not going to go above 600 feet? You're looking for help because you're already having problems above 500 feet, so why stop there? You're already above the FAA's guidelines.

And you do need more experience.

How do we know YOU will not fly above 400 feet or that you do not need more experience. I regularly fly at 1640 ft height and at altitudes above 10000 ft where I live. But hey that's just me, and I am not in the USA :)

How do we know YOU will not fly above 400 feet or that you do not need more experience. I regularly fly at 1640 ft height and at altitudes above 10000 ft where I live. But hey that's just me, and I am not in the USA :)

Oh none of you will ever find out. I just felt I needed to say something nice to close my case with someone who said I needed more experience. Think what you want I will do my own things :)

Part 107 are the rules that all sUAS pilots fly under. It's not a mere suggestion. 400 feet AGL is the maximum altitude that you can fly in the US. If you have a Part 107 certification, you can fly within 400 feet of a structure and up to 400 feet above the structure.

Part 107 are the rules that all sUAS pilots fly under. It's not a mere suggestion. 400 feet AGL is the maximum altitude that you can fly in the US. If you have a Part 107 certification, you can fly within 400 feet of a structure and up to 400 feet above the structure.
I don't have my part 107 cert so I don't fly under that and 400 feet is a suggestion.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl