P3S and FLIR

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their stock P3S camera set up with a FLIR VUE camera or is it even possible. Last time I checked the only Phantom that you could put a FLIR on, was the Phantom 2 but have not heard anything about using the FLIR on any P3.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Amazon sells the conversion kits. You loose the gimbal and it has it's own 5.8ghz transmitter but all that said, sure a Phantom 3 can carry it. Rocky Mountain Unmanned Systems FC201-A Phantom FLIR Vue Conversion Kit with Resolution Thermal Camera, Black Amazon.com : Rocky Mountain Unmanned Systems FC201-A Phantom FLIR Vue Conversion Kit with Resolution Thermal Camera, Black : Camera & Photo

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the info, checked it out and was way beyond my price range, guess I will stick with trying to get my old Phantom 2, HD-3D to work with a FLIR camera.

Has anyone replaced their stock P3S camera set up with a FLIR VUE camera or is it even possible. Last time I checked the only Phantom that you could put a FLIR on, was the Phantom 2 but have not heard anything about using the FLIR on any P3.

KMHarp, You are headed right down the same road as I am as to attaching a Flir Thermal camera to a Phantom 2 or 3A as I have both and being as thermal imaging is part of my business along with vibration analysis I have been researching the need and possibility of doing this.

There are further discussions on this on a post by CraigNT55 - sorry I am new to this forum and don't know else to direct you to the thread (it's that guys first post so hopefully that helps you get there). The link below is also associated with Phantom and Flir setups - not cheap but interesting site to check out this combo

Phantom 3 T03 Pro Kit With Thermal FLIR VUE Camera Ready-to-Fly

I am Canadian sir, and I noticed you are a Vietnam Vet and Purple Heart recipient - despite the fact I am not from the USA, I respectfully thank you for your service, I salute you. All the best.

KMHarp, You are headed right down the same road as I am as to attaching a Flir Thermal camera to a Phantom 2 or 3A as I have both and being as thermal imaging is part of my business along with vibration analysis I have been researching the need and possibility of doing this.

There are further discussions on this on a post by CraigNT55 - sorry I am new to this forum and don't know else to direct you to the thread (it's that guys first post so hopefully that helps you get there). The link below is also associated with Phantom and Flir setups - not cheap but interesting site to check out this combo

Phantom 3 T03 Pro Kit With Thermal FLIR VUE Camera Ready-to-Fly

I am Canadian sir, and I noticed you are a Vietnam Vet and Purple Heart recipient - despite the fact I am not from the USA, I respectfully thank you for your service, I salute you. All the best.

Thanks for the kind words on my military status, former status that is. Really have to say thanks for the heads up on what you have found when it comes to the FLIR and such. Will track it down and see what it is costing, etc. Take care Brother.

eaglegoaltender

Clicked on the site for the P3P with FLIR from Drone Nerds and **** near **** when I saw the 7 grand price tag and then you add the more expensive FLIR for 1700.00 then your up to $8,700.00 for the unit. At least you get the two monitors. Ha Ha

Ya, not cheap. The interesting thing is that although the camera sensor can be different for maximum sensitivity, it does not need to be. You can use a standard camera sensory with a special filter in front and create an IR sensing camera. Certainly FLIR (brand name) has gone all the way and the somewhat limited market keeps the price high (low demand).

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

eaglegoaltender

Clicked on the site for the P3P with FLIR from Drone Nerds and **** near **** when I saw the 7 grand price tag and then you add the more expensive FLIR for 1700.00 then your up to $8,700.00 for the unit. At least you get the two monitors. Ha Ha

Ha ha - no kidding as to the price - even more at my end with the exchange rate at $1.00 USD = $1.45 Canadian - ouch!. "D Myers is correct as to the lens filters - Photoshop can also do some crazy things as to giving you that IR look on vids and photos. I haven't seen any filters for the P3A as yet but there are for the P2 camera.

Fixing a Flir to the P3 would likely mean a new Gimbal - Flir does have the market when it comes to IR cameras and their pricing shows it - I have a hand held Flir camera that I use but was thinking of one for the Phantom for roof top, tower and stack thermal surveys (would save a lot of climbing). Biggest issue/concern I have is EMI around high voltage areas in the industrial surveys and the effect they might have on the controller and phantom. Best of luck with your searches - if I find anything reasonably priced or a fix for the Phantom 3 will let you know - take care.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl