P3Pro - Firmware Update Mistake

Reaction score
First a little history, I bought my P3Pro in July 2015, after doing some old post searching I found that I updated the AC/RC to v1.2.6 right after receiving it.

I flew it occasionally for for a few years and it flew perfectly so I avoided updating it (kept the old Pilot v1.2.0 app on my Nexus 7 as well), with the problems that originally came up around v1.2.6's release I felt like I dodged a bullet when the FW updated successfully so I decided to just stick with what worked for as long as I could. Anyway, between a new daughter, work, and life it unfortunately sat for a couple years. Fast forward to today and I decided that I'd charge the batteries and take it out. However, my Nexus bit the dust a while back and while I could get Pilot installed & working on my newer devices, the app would freeze as soon as the RC/AC made their connection. DJI Go Before P4 wouldn't let me connect at all under the P3 menu, just gave me a button for "How to Connect", although it would give me the "Camera" button under the Inspire menu. So I decided I'd just update the RC/AC and see if they'd work with DJI Go after that.

I went on DJI's website looking for P3Pro firmware, found v1.11.20, downloaded it, formatted the card and started the update process. Everything seemed to be going fine, yellow lights blinking, start up sound every so often, constant beeping, and then suddenly got a flatline tone and the gimbal light was solid red. The .txt. file of course said it had failed and to try again. Started researching that when I found threads stating that the process is to update the FW to v1.3.2 before going to a newer FW (sinking feeling there). So I formatted the SD card again and tried v1.3.2 and it failed within 15 seconds.

Now the forward lights stay solid red & the rear lights flash red/yellow/green and it beeps in a beep-beep-pause-beep-beep repeating pattern. The RC connects (I can move the gimbal) but the RC status light flickers between red & green. No amount of attempts to install any firmware will take, they all now just fail within about 15 seconds. Unfortunately there is no LOG_AB file to share, even after trying to get it to take an older FW version to generate the file as I had seen suggested in another thread.

So is there anything I can do to fix this or am I looking at something I'd need to send to DJI to resolve?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Put a clean V1.11.20.bin FW upgrade file on your freshly formatted SD card. Get a small fan that you can set up to blow on the camera and the area just above it (to keep it from getting hot and damaging the camera gimble board) as it will likely take 30 minutes or more to finish the upgrade.
Start the AC with a fully charged battery and the SD card installed. You will get the irritating loud BEEP, BEEP, BEEPing. (It is caused by an upgrade that didn't complete ...... and unfortunately it will continue for probably 30 minutes .... you can't stop it ... loud and annoying). It will stop when the update is successfully completed and you should see the LED just above the camera lens .... which has been alternating red and green turn a solid green. You might also be able to hear a soft: Beep ......Beep Beep sound. After that, shut down the AC and remove the SD card. Have a look at the contents of the SD card on your computer. It should confirm the successful update. Format or delete all the files on the SD card and put it back in the AC for a start up trial and linking with your RC if needed.

** PS ** I have not read about the need to update to V1.03.0020 before going to a higher upgrade. So ..... if this fails, try the V1.03.0020.bin the same way ..... then go to the V1.11.20.bin. Just keep the fan on it while you do it.

Last edited:
Put a clean V1.11.20.bin FW upgrade file on your freshly formatted SD card. Get a small fan that you can set up to blow on the camera and the area just above it (to keep it from getting hot and damaging the camera gimble board) as it will likely take 30 minutes or more to finish the upgrade.
Start the AC with a fully charged battery and the SD card installed. You will get the irritating loud BEEP, BEEP, BEEPing. (It is caused by an upgrade that didn't complete ...... and unfortunately it will continue for probably 30 minutes .... you can't stop it ... loud and annoying). It will stop when the update is successfully completed and you should see the LED just above the camera lens .... which has been alternating red and green turn a solid green. You might also be able to hear a soft: Beep ......Beep Beep sound. After that, shut down the AC and remove the SD card. Have a look at the contents of the SD card on your computer. It should confirm the successful update. Format or delete all the files on the SD card and put it back in the AC for a start up trial and linking with your RC if needed.

** PS ** I have not read about the need to update to V1.03.0020 before going to a higher upgrade. So ..... if this fails, try the V1.03.0020.bin the same way ..... then go to the V1.11.20.bin. Just keep the fan on it while you do it.

Hi, thanks for the input! I've now tried both v1.11.20 & v1.03.0020 installs a few times (fully formatting between each attempt, not quick formatting), both with the same results, after almost a minute it sounds the flatline tone and the result file shows:

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:13 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.11.0020.bin
Result: Failed.
Reboot the aircraft and try to upgrade the firmware again.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.03.0020.bin

However, during these attempts the rear lights didn't cycle through red/yellow/green as they did the other night, they flashed yellow as they did during the very first firmware update attempt (I had hope for a few seconds). The gimbal light flashed green at first, then flashed red until the flatline tone sounded at which time it turned solid red.

Video of attempt:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I just discovered a change in the rear lights. I think the rear light flashing sequence may be directly related to the AC's ability to acquire a GPS signal. It will flash R/Y/G if it's sitting on my desk, but if it's on the floor near a window (such as in the video) or outside, the rear lights simply flash yellow. Not sure if it really matters though.

*edit* I made a post prior to this but it is showing that it is awaiting moderator approval. Maybe because I added a video.

For an upgrade in process .... or a completed successful one the LED above the camera lens (not the rear or front lights is what I would like some feedback on .... not the front or rear lights). Try this: (1) Put the V01.03.0020.bin flle only on a formatted SD card. Put it in the AC and before you start the AC press in the binding button down (see photo) with the end of a paper clip and hold it down when you start the AC ..... and continue to hold it for 30 seconds. Then wait and see if the FW loads successfully.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
For an upgrade in process .... or a completed successful one the LED above the camera lens (not the rear or front lights is what I would like some feedback on .... not the front or rear lights). Try this: (1) Put the V01.03.0020.bin flle only on a formatted SD card. Put it in the AC and before you start the AC press in the binding button down (see photo) with the end of a paper clip and hold it down when you start the AC ..... and continue to hold it for 30 seconds. Then wait and see if the FW loads successfully.

Well for the sake of discussion and covering what the gimbal lights have done previously, here's the text of my previous post without the video:

Hi, thanks for the input! I've now tried both v1.11.20 & v1.03.0020 installs a few times (fully formatting between each attempt, not quick formatting), both with the same results, after almost a minute it sounds the flatline tone and the result file shows:

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:13 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.11.0020.bin

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.03.0020.bin

However, during these attempts the rear lights didn't cycle through red/yellow/green as they did the other night, they flashed yellow as they did during the very first firmware update attempt (I had hope for a few seconds). The gimbal light flashed green at first, then flashed red until the flatline tone sounded at which time it turned solid red.

Thanks for the new suggestion! Gave that a shot, and this time the AC seemed to progress much further through the process, but then about 3 minutes into it, flatline tone and a "Result: Failed - Reboot the aircraft and try to upgrade the firmware again" in the .txt file. I'm going to try it again though. Maybe also with the v1.11.0020 file since that's the update that failed originally.

I think that is encouraging. Perhaps another attempt or two (with and without the binding button) will get you all the way home. Keep the fan running ..... and us informed. Good luck.

Two more attempts with formatting & using v1.03.0020 while depressing the binding button and the same result: gets to the same spot and flatlines/fails. I'm going to call it a night for now.

Just to document it, today I also attempted to downgrade the FW by using a service bin file from a older thread on this forum. However, the AC did not respond to that service file at all. It made no beeps and the rear lights just flashed yellow (or if it has no GPS signal the rear lights flashed R/Y/G & it continually beeped D-D-D-D-D-D-D), just as it currently does with no SD card installed. It was worth a shot and the risk.

Sounds like it also has a firmware mismatch between the a/c and r/c. See attachment.

Attachments

• Safari - Jun 25, 2020 at 8:28 PM.pdf
    343.6 KB · Views: 425
AC FW v1.11.20 has a bad reputation, I've read here in time a lot of folks have complained about this FW has bricked their birds.
I'm not sure if it's possible anymore (since you've already attempted to upgrade with 1.11.20) but why don't you try AC FW v1.8.80 ? I have not upgraded further since 2016, it is very stable and I have never had any issues with it. RC FW will have to be upgraded then too, to v1.8.0
On phantomhelp.com you may find the said AC FW as well as the FW downgrade procedure, in case the bird claims it has 1.11.20.

Sounds like it also has a firmware mismatch between the a/c and r/c. See attachment.
Yes, of course, I've only attempted to update the AC so far and all instructions point to updating the RC after the AC. But the RC is off as it should be during the update attempts so I'm not sure how that would affect it.

AC FW v1.11.20 has a bad reputation, I've read here in time a lot of folks have complained about this FW has bricked their birds.
I'm not sure if it's possible anymore (since you've already attempted to upgrade with 1.11.20) but why don't you try AC FW v1.8.80 ? I have not upgraded further since 2016, it is very stable and I have never had any issues with it. RC FW will have to be upgraded then too, to v1.8.0
On phantomhelp.com you may find the said AC FW as well as the FW downgrade procedure, in case the bird claims it has 1.11.20.
Wonderful news! lol That's why I always avoided updating in the first place.

I have now tried most of the FW versions, including 1.8.80, and they've all failed in the same manner. At this point I'm wishing I had simply found a used/replacement Nexus 7 to install the old Pilot app on and stuck with that.

The only downgrade procedure I've tried so far is using the Service Bin file mentioned previously. I am now contemplating trying this method: Downgrading firmware on P3P from 1.10.9 to 1.7.6, which has been successfully used on a 1.11.20 bird before.

Unfortunately I can't see what FW version is being recognized by the AC, so I think I need to try to figure that one out before going into that downgrade procedure blindly. Not sure how though since the Pilot app freezes when the AC connects (or did, haven't tried since I started the FW update attempts) and DJI Go won't recognize that I have a P3Pro.

Since your initial attempt was to update the FW to v1.11.20 I would suggest any backdating attempts start with the assumption that it started to upgrade v1.11.20 and then froze up. I have successfully backed up incrementally from v1.11.20 to v1.10.90 then to v1.9.60 then to v1.8.80. I was unsuccessful backing up from 1.8.80 to v1.7.06 .... where I had hoped to go, so I just reloaded 1.8.80 and have been happily using it ever since. If you do decide to go that route. Be sure to include the P3X_FW_DEBUG file on the SD in the root directory with the P3X_FW_V01.???????? Firmware file you are using each time. Don't forget the fan as it is much needed for a marathon of backdates.

When a firmware update fails one may asume the original firmware is still present (active).
My advice is to upgrade the firmwares one at a time: from v1.2.6 to v1.3.20 to v1.4.0010 to v1.6.040 to v1.7.060 to 1.8.80 etc.
Download the Firmware Update Guide here:
For info on the firmware-version history, download the Phantom 3 Pro Release notes:
You can download all firmware versions with the windows program DankDroneDownloader:

(I kept all version from v01.01.0008 to v01.11.0030.)

When a firmware update fails one may asume the original firmware is still present (active).
My advice is to upgrade the firmwares one at a time: from v1.2.6 to v1.3.20 to v1.4.0010 to v1.6.040 to v1.7.060 to 1.8.80 etc.
Download the Firmware Update Guide here:
For info on the firmware-version history, download the Phantom 3 Pro Release notes:
You can download all firmware versions with the windows program DankDroneDownloader:

(I kept all version from v01.01.0008 to v01.11.0030.)
Hello, I appreciate the input, but as covered above 1.3.20 has repeatedly failed to install.

Ok, then first I would try re-installing the original v1.2.6.
If that fails I would try rolling back one at a time starting with v1.10.90.
Although there is NO mention in the release notes the last 3 versions (v1.11.20, v1.10.90 and v1.9.60) can be downgraded.
The latest verion that can be downgraded is v1.8.80 (to v1.7.060).
If v1.10.90 fails, try v1.8.80.
These are only my thoughts.

Unfortunately no FW files will take, all that I've tried result in a "Result: Failure" in the .txt file.

However before trying the Downgrading steps I mentioned above I decided to go ahead and update the RC to v1.3.20 to see what would happen. The FW update on the RC was successful.

So I put a freshly formatted SD card in the AC along with the fully charged battery, turned on the RC, turned on the AC, plugged in my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab A), and launched DJI Go. The status lights on the gimbal and RC both turned green (after the AC FW failures the RC light would flicker between red & green and the gimbal light would continually flash red). So I scrolled over to the Phantom 3 Pro and the blue "Camera" Button was actually there. There is no live view but all other options function normally. The AC acquired 15 GPS signals, the rear arm lights started flashing green, and the app showed "Ready To Go". So I gave it a shot, I took off and it flew just fine. Also took pictures/videos just fine.

But (of course there's a but), I still can't tell what FW is on the AC.

The Overall Status screen looks like this (as expected really), so it wasn't helpful:

50050992958_6462e400ec_c.jpg

The About screen simply shows v1.4.10+ so I'm not sure what to take away from this, v1.4.10 is one of the few FW versions I have not tried to install. Maybe that's where the "+" comes into play?

50051813447_0c36fb716a_c.jpg

In trying to view the LOG file on my PC, I went to the MISC folder, which shows the following hidden folders: IDX, LOG, THM, XCODE, but all 4 are completely empty...

So, any ideas of where to go/what to do now?

WOW!! That is GREAT news ! I was about to conclude that all those FW attempts you made B4 you knew you needed a fan on that procedure had overheated and damaged the camera board and that was blocking our entry with the later FW attempts.
OK, 1st thing ...... force a reload of 1v1.4.10 on the AC. The (+) after the FW number means it did not install everything from that particular version of the FW (not really safe to fly that way). Do that and then have a look at the about screen and see if the (+) is gone. If not, try the backup procedure and see if you can install 1.3.2 or 1.2.6 again using the debug file. Once you have that sorted and stable, we can focus on the missing live view.

PS "version" = FW on the AC, RC = 1.3.20

Last edited:
Ah no, I should have specified that I was using a fan from the very first attempt, that was something that was repeated frequently when I first got my AC and joined. :)

I can give that a shot, but I'm still curious as to why that particular version of the FW is even there or shown, I have never tried to install FW v1.4.10.

WOW!! That is GREAT news ! I was about to conclude that all those FW attempts you made B4 you knew you needed a fan on that procedure had overheated and damaged the camera board and that was blocking our entry with the later FW attempts.
OK, 1st thing ...... force a reload of 1v1.4.10+. The (+) after the FW number means it did not install everything from that particular version of the FW (not really safe to fly that way). Do that and then have a look at the about screen and see if the (+) is gone. If not, try the backup procedure and see if you can install 1.3.2 or 1.2.6 again using the debug file. Once you have that sorted and stable, we can focus on the missing live view.
You are right about the (+) sign.
What's the 'debug file'?
Firmware files are BIN-files.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.