P3P vs Inspire1

Reaction score
Have i missed something or are Inspire 1 owners not now going to be completely pissed off with the release of the latest P3. Those transforming legs are now costing circa 2k? OR are there other features with the Inspire 1 that the phantom does not have that ive missed!

Note- I'm pitching the inspire 1 with 1 controller against the P3Pro for the purpose of this comparison/discussion.

The inspire can fly faster (but for shorter flight time)
The Inspire can do dual pilot/camera operator jobs
The Inspire can take a different camera when/if DJI make one - but it will cost them a packet more.
... that's about it.
The Inspire is an unwieldly, heavy and overpriced quad unless you really need one of those features.
P3 batteries are certain to be cheaper than Inspire batts.
DJI has just slashed the resale value for Inspires too.
Inspire owners have paid to be beta testers for the P3 technology.
They don't have much to be happy about in the P3.

We believe the Inspire 1 still has its market and the Phantom 3 will find its market. @Meta4 has made some good points. Inspire is still quite a bit more powerful and one of things we love most is it can withstand some good wind. Overall all the features may be similar but Inspire still stands on its own ground.

It appears from a hardware point of view the P3 can support dual operators. So why has DJI omitted that for the release debut ???
There is no point having dual operator support, the P3 cameras cannot be rotated 360º. Unless you think it's necessary to have someone else tilt the camera for you ; )

It appears from a hardware point of view the P3 can support dual operators. So why has DJI omitted that for the release debut ???

It would be pretty hard to have dual operators on the P3. The P3 camera is NOT a 360 rotation camera like the Inpsire 1. I don't see the benefit in dual operators with 1 camera. The pilot will get heavily disoriented.

It would be pretty hard to have dual operators on the P3. The P3 camera is NOT a 360 rotation camera like the Inpsire 1. I don't see the benefit in dual operators with 1 camera. The pilot will get heavily disoriented.
+1

Unless you think it's necessary to have someone else tilt the camera for you ; )
Yes.

And, should be relatively easy for DJI to add software support for the old Parrot AR Drone type Absolute Mode so that the camera operator has both Pan and Tilt.

As long a the P3 drone operator (pilot) can quickly toggle between Normal and Absolute modes, that gives the camera operator infinite camera pan (far better than just 360 degrees) via drone yaw.

BTW.. the AR Drone third party App called AR Drone Flight Pro has had this feature for a few years allowing two separate phone devices to act as pilot and camera operator. Infinite camera pan via drone yaw/spin. DJI could easily knock off this feature. DJI obviously recognized the AR Drone ultrasonic capability and finally implemented it after all these years.

Last edited:
Yes.

And, should be relatively easy for DJI to add software support for the old Parrot AR Drone type Absolute Mode so that the camera operator has both Pan and Tilt.

As long a the P3 drone operator (pilot) can quickly toggle between Normal and Absolute modes, that gives the camera operator infinite camera pan (far better than just 360 degrees) via drone yaw.
So you want a dual pilot drone? That won't end well. The Phantom is a one man machine, end of story.

So this is effectively the Inspire in a phantom body minus the power, speed and 360 camera. Am I correct in saying the camera on the P2V2+ is still better than the camera on the phantom 3 for stills. An argument that was raised time and again between the P2V2+ and Inspire 1 camera.

If I had bought an Inspire I'd be pretty mad tbh, might keep an eye out for a cheaper second hand Model now. Perhaps there will be an Inspire 1+ soon enough followed by the phantom 3+ just in time for Christmas.

If I had bought an Inspire I'd be pretty mad tbh, might keep an eye out for a cheaper second hand Model now. Perhaps there will be an Inspire 1+ soon enough followed by the phantom 3+ just in time for Christmas.
Depends what you bought it for. People I know who have, specifically want more control by using one pilot, one camera operator. It's also much more stable in stronger winds.

Inspire owners just got the sausage :D:D:D I'm glad I waited cause they literally just packed all the features of an Inspire into a Phantom. Thanks Dji for saving me over $1,200 buckaroos!!

Am I correct in saying the camera on the P2V2+ is still better than the camera on the phantom 3 for stills. An argument that was raised time and again between the P2V2+ and Inspire 1.

I don't think you're correct there.
The P2V+ camera is really pretty poor to start with.
I've never heard anyone suggest it's better than the Inspire,
For a start it has a smaller sensor - so smaller pixels which is always going to be inferior.
Add to that the level of control and being able to fire of a bracket of 5 shots suitable for HDR.
The Inspire camera is all over it for low light where the P2V+ isn't even trying.
It would be pretty stupid for DJI to use a lower quality camera in their new wonder drone.
Get hold of some sample images to see for yourself.

Last edited:
So you want a dual pilot drone? That won't end well. The Phantom is a one man machine, end of story.
No... one pilot and one camera operator.

"If" the pilot is in a controlled flight path at the Point Of Interest, he can set Absolute Mode allowing the camera operator to do his thing. Once that event is over, the pilot can toggle back to Normal Mode and use the camera to pilot the drone.

Even the old AR Drone proved this to work well... for the ones who chose to explore that option years ago.

DJI surely knows this but chose not to reveal this feature on the P3's debut.

No... one pilot and one camera operator
Are you not getting this? The camera cannot do 360º. Are you seriously thinking you want to fly while your assistant yaw's the whole craft to get the shot??

"If" the pilot is in a controlled flight path at the Point Of Interest, he can set Absolute Mode allowing the camera operator to do his thing. Once that event is over, the pilot can toggle back to Normal Mode and use the camera to pilot the drone.
Sorry, but this is just unnecessary complication and completely impractical. Dual operators work simultaneously, not one after the other. You could achieve the same result on your own.

Sorry, but this is just unnecessary complication and completely impractical. Dual operators work simultaneously, not one after the other. You could achieve the same result on your own.
It appears you never used the years old third party app feature of the $300 AR Drone. No complication... worked well. Especially when a machine does not have a separate camera pan mechanism.

Are you not getting this? The camera cannot do 360º. Are you seriously thinking you want to fly while your assistant yaw's the whole craft to get the shot??
Any AR Drone people in here that used its Absolute Mode function? But even many AR Drone operators did not discover the very powerful third party feature of MeavyDev's AR Drone Flight Pro Android App.

It as easy and was a very good compromise for a machine that does not have camera pan.

Erm there will probably be a inspire 2 ? Which will make the p3 look like old tech...?
There probably will .. but they are still doing beta testing for the I1 4 months after it was released.
For now the P3 offers almost all the Inspire does for less than half the price and in a convenient lightweight package. For most users that's unbeatable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues