P3P range concerns

I shot this today for a realtor. I got about 3600' out and only got a low signal once while my P3P was on the other side of the water tower. But I'm guessing that was interference from the cellular transmitter on it. This was also the first time I've gone more than 600' out so you can believe my legs were shakin'.

Last edited:
Reactions: TorqueRoller
I have the same problem flying my P3 professional here in Brazil, and the se thing happened in Florida.

I start loosing video and RC signal after 350 meters.

I have called DJI yesterday and they said the max distance is 500 meters, when I asked about the info on their website ( saying that it goes up to 2 km from controller ) the guy said it's wrong, simple as that...

He told me to try changing the flight mode... But he never sent me the email explaining how

Does anyone got the same information by phone?

When you lose signal, how do you know if it's the image or the tx?
You don't if you cant see it-- I believe it will initiate RTH if either signal doesn't come back in 15 seconds

Pretty sure with Lightbridge it's all the same signal.
the transmitter signal is different from the Lightbridge signal. you could lose transmitter signal and still have Lightbridge showing the picture. As soon as you loose the 2.4 GHZ connection from the controller to the receiver completely, the RTH is going to initiate and if the Lightbridge signal is still good, you will get the screen popup-- Check the transmitter signal at the top of the screen for signal strength and the one next to it for light bridge strength. If the Lightbridge goes out first, then you will not know anything about the controller signal to the aircraft.

Generally no matter where I am the smallest distance I've gotten low signal is about 2,500', and the furthest I've tested it so far was 10,600' out.

Just using stock setup, 400' elevation, and using the antenna positioning recommended in the manual.

soon my FPVLR antennas will show up and I should be able to do 4x the distance :p

By all means, please post your impressions and results with the FPVLR antennas. I am seriously considering that upgrade. BTW, are you getting the Tx "boosters" or just the helical antennas?

:harry

the transmitter signal is different from the Lightbridge signal. you could lose transmitter signal and still have Lightbridge showing the picture. As soon as you loose the 2.4 GHZ connection from the controller to the receiver completely, the RTH is going to initiate and if the Lightbridge signal is still good, you will get the screen popup-- Check the transmitter signal at the top of the screen for signal strength and the one next to it for light bridge strength. If the Lightbridge goes out first, then you will not know anything about the controller signal to the aircraft.

That pop up window about RTH is programmed into the app. If the control signal is lost the pop up RTH message will display even if there is no video feed.

I find no mention of separate specs on video and transmitter. If there were two transmitters/receivers, you'd think they'd mention their specs.

Just a thought for the guys on here that are suffering with range - are you angling your aerials correctly?

I set mine to 'alert rabbit ears' after seeing a thread on here. They're both vertical & pointing slightly away from each other. For best signal strength they should be angled vertically with the 'face' of the plastic pointing towards the P3. I will also tilt the controller to maintain that orientation.

Reactions: acherman
Just a thought for the guys on here that are suffering with range - are you angling your aerials correctly?

I set mine to 'alert rabbit ears' after seeing a thread on here. They're both vertical & pointing slightly away from each other. For best signal strength they should be angled vertically with the 'face' of the plastic pointing towards the P3. I will also tilt the controller to maintain that orientation.

I think most of us who do have these issues would be annoyed by this response, but it is perfectly plausible reply if you don't have a real issue. It is simply a REAL issue DJI needs to sort out. Not a figment of our imagination or noob mistake.

I think most of us who do have these issues would be annoyed by this response, but it is perfectly plausible reply if you don't have a real issue. It is simply a REAL issue DJI needs to sort out. Not a figment of our imagination or noob mistake.

I don't doubt that there are defective units knocking about. No noob insults were implied :)

@cjmwales I know, it is just that there are a lot of die hards who dont get that there are real probs around...

There appear to be a lot of guys who think that just because they have been on the site for a while, their feelings is whoever has just bought a drone and reports an issue is a fool and should be treated with disrespect...

I am not saying this is everyone, but there is contant bickering because people have their "clicks" and "camps"...

I dont think you took offense, thanks for clarifying that. :)

@Stephan , ur right .
Some people just don't get how frustrating is to get the same range of p2 using a brand new and very expensive P3 .

DJI must give us a logical explanation about why some people have 2k range and others only 300 meters

And Not just tell us to point the RC antenna to a difference direction and not to fly over A massive TV transmitter . Cause that is quite obvious

Reactions: skyhighdiver
@cjmwales I know, it is just that there are a lot of die hards who dont get that there are real probs around...

There appear to be a lot of guys who think that just because they have been on the site for a while, their feelings is whoever has just bought a drone and reports an issue is a fool and should be treated with disrespect...

I am not saying this is everyone, but there is contant bickering because people have their "clicks" and "camps"...

I dont think you took offense, thanks for clarifying that. :)
Yes there are. Kind of makes you want to reach out and :rolleyes:

I have the same problem flying my P3 professional here in Brazil, and the se thing happened in Florida.

I start loosing video and RC signal after 350 meters.

I have called DJI yesterday and they said the max distance is 500 meters, when I asked about the info on their website ( saying that it goes up to 2 km from controller ) the guy said it's wrong, simple as that...

He told me to try changing the flight mode... But he never sent me the email explaining how

Does anyone got the same information by phone?

Height is limited at 500
Range is limited at if you leave the Distance limit toggle on.

Anyways... has anyone looked at the 20 channels that are available??? If red - avoid. Switch to a nice blue/green channel.

Last week I flew out to 4.8km (15,700 feet) I was on a slight hill with line of sight (no obstacles between me and the drone but of course I couldn't see it). Lost signal at 4.8km and it promptly returned itself home where the signal returned a min later and I let it return by itself and land itself.

Was at 400ft for the flight. Dry clear air and no cloud cover (I think that helps the signal for some reason because my mobile data rate is better on clear days).

Standard P3 and aerials no mods.

Cheers,

Simon

Last week I flew out to 4.8km (15,700 feet) I was on a slight hill with line of sight (no obstacles between me and the drone but of course I couldn't see it). Lost signal at 4.8km and it promptly returned itself home where the signal returned a min later and I let it return by itself and land itself.

Was at 400ft for the flight. Dry clear air and no cloud cover (I think that helps the signal for some reason because my mobile data rate is better on clear days).

Standard P3 and aerials no mods.

Cheers,

Simon
Im right with ya :cool: I got scared on return as I watched battery % go down and down and I still didn't hear her:eek:
P3 record.JPG

I shot this today for a realtor. I got about 3600' out and only got a low signal once while my P3P was on the other side of the water tower. But I'm guessing that was interference from the cellular transmitter on it. This was also the first time I've gone more than 600' out so you can believe my legs were shakin'.

My first flight with the P3 was 1800ft, second flight was 2500ft, both flights partly involved water. My way of thinking is if it goes down from any height its a lost cause, no use trying to sugar coat it so might as well use it for what it was meant for.

Your video was incredible though, in my P2 there was no possible way I would have been able to drop that low to the ground after flying even 500ft without losing FPV. For footage like yours I would have needed two flights; one for the long shot and then some up close work with the realtor. Definitely looking forward to getting some great new footage with my P3 while requiring half the work.

You beat me by about 100ft! :)
Yea I still had full signal but decided far enough as I got a low battery warning:eek:
Realized after I got back it was due to distance and battery remaining not dead battery but only had 28% when I got back in sight and 23 when I landed so really not much distance was left. Maybe could get another 4500 ft or so if wanted to push it as I did stop for a minute and hover over a boat with a hot chick on it on the way out:eek::). But don't think I would go over lake if I was to try o_O

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1