P3P range concerns

The only time I have real trouble is when flying with other Phantoms (or I1s). I flew at the coast here today in an area with little interference and easily went 3 miles. I flew today from a nearby park without interference all the way to my house (lots of WiFi networks etc) and still made it over 3 miles. This is all stock. Go out somewhere in the boonies and see how it works without interference.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
The only time I have real trouble is when flying with other Phantoms (or I1s). I flew at the coast here today in an area with little interference and easily went 3 miles. I flew today from a nearby park without interference all the way to my house (lots of WiFi networks etc) and still made it over 3 miles. This is all stock. Go out somewhere in the boonies and see how it works without interference.
I wish it were that simple

Yeah even in my town with probably 30 houses around, power lines, etc I can routinely get 2 miles each way with the stock setup without getting any low signal warnings.

I wonder if there really is a problem with some of the p3's or if it's as simple as antenna orientation, altitude, etc.

Hopefully my fpvlr antennas get here today so I can try some real range

I wonder if there really is a problem with some of the p3's or if it's as simple as antenna orientation, altitude, etc.

No we are all just continually really thick... even with the antennas folded (by accident) I used to get at least half a mile...

I flew out to 1.2k (a bit under 4000ft) @ 40meters high and turned back immediately due to weak signal. I'm guessing if I had increased my altitude I may have got longer range. Flat farmland. It was my longest run yet and I forgot to hit record :mad:. I've been spoilt with Litchi on my P2V+V3, auto record!

Some of you guys have Brass BalZ$ - I can't imagine flying 5000 ft away I get nervous at 1500 (just can't really see the bird that well)... I have been working on my comfort at distances - but wow... you guys give me something to shoot for....
Yeah I went to at least 4500 my first day then headed back just in time for the first alarm to go off. When I fly distances like that where I go from point A to B and back I cut the time in half. I'm a little nervous pushing it's limits to the full 1.2 miles. Had a video issue once, panicked and brought it back.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Has anyone noticed less distance after updating the firmware?

Has anyone noticed less distance after updating the firmware?
yes big time. on one test route I fly I was always able to get between 8 to 10k feet now Im hard pressed to even bust 5,000ft
even if i trying up higher then normal. and in another direction were I have more clear line of site and was able to get to 18,000 feet the best I can get now is just over 5,500 sence the latest firmware update. and the video feed also seems to be real choppy and laggy way before I lose signal.

These ranges are incredibil . Are you guys that are getting these ranges actually able to see the live view on your Ipad,or tablet while flying?

I'm having distance issue's also with my P3A, I have it set to channel 20 and the mbps is set to 4, I have the antenna set correctly, three distance tests I was only able to reach around 1800fton two of them, the last one I tried I was able to reach close to 3300ft, I guess this direction is my clearest los, mind you I am flying at max height 393ft. I am flying in my neighborhood in Southern Mississippi houses and a lot of tree's, I'm trying to find a place with a better los, unfortunately it's probably going to have to be a body of water somewhere close.

I placed my order on the 29th and should receive them Thursday. If you want, I'll make a new thread once I have tested them out and see how they go.

I routinely fly out to 10k+ as well, but I'm always pushing it from a battery perspective. how are you going to fly 4x that distance? won't you run out of battery?

What antenna setups do you use with long distance flying?

And also, for what purpose do you fly those distances? Do you record videos when flying far or no?

I routinely fly out to 10k+ as well, but I'm always pushing it from a battery perspective. how are you going to fly 4x that distance? won't you run out of battery?

For me, 2 miles leaves me with 60%+ battery left, so I should be able to squeeze out atleast 3-4 miles.

The main reason for FPVLR for me is the penetration. My home town has a lot of changes in elevation, and many trees, which interrupt my signal.

EDIT: @deadstik, here is my FPVLR thread

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/my-experiences-with-fpvlr-advanced-kit-p3.46900/

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing-- very informative!:)

Anytime!

I'm currently talking with Tony (the guy who owns FPVLR) about my range issues, and doing some trouble shooting.

Tomorrow I'll do a lot more flying and hopefully get that sought after long-range

Reactions: bobmyers

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20