P3P maximum height?

• Thread starter Deleted member 29014
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29014

My P3P arrives today. Reading the specks in the manual the maximum height is listed as 6000m. Is this a typo?

That's the max suggested altitude above sea level. DJI does not suggest flying higher than that.

The DJI Pilot application does restrict you from flying higher than 500m above the takeoff point.

Reactions: ThommyBoy
Please understand my questions are pure curiosity, guys. I plan to keep my new phantom in VLOS at ALL TIMES. Can a P3P reach 6000m in a single flight if the pilot app would allow it? technically speaking.

Technically speaking, it can reach as far as the battery and radio will reach. You could always mod your Phantom to attach more batteries and/or increase the radio reception with better antennas.

Out of the box, no, it's impossible. I doubt DJI will ever allow a Phantom to fly over 500m high.

It's not about battery capacity or control duration but air density.
What if you're already at altitude???

There's video of a Phantom flying at Mt. Everest base camp (+17,000 ft.)

Last edited:
Reactions: SnoozeDoggyDog
There's video of a Phantom flaying at Mt. Everest base camp (+17,000 ft.)
People do lots of things that aren't suggested by DJI :)

Technically speaking, it can reach as far as the battery and radio will reach. You could always mod your Phantom to attach more batteries and/or increase the radio reception with better antennas.

Out of the box, no, it's impossible. I doubt DJI will ever allow a Phantom to fly over 500m high.
You don't even need radio reach. You can use some alternate apps to set it to fly a mission out of radio reach, and go that high... Just be prepared for it to run out of battery before it comes back and you loose it for good.

You don't even need radio reach. You can use some alternate apps to set it to fly a mission out of radio reach, and go that high... Just be prepared for it to run out of battery before it comes back and you loose it for good.

Or even LOSE it for good.

Previously I could set the maximum height to 0 in the iOS app but since updating recently it's limited to 500m (even if I set 0). It's a shame as I got some great shots at high altitude on the P2V. Hope DJI will re-consider this limit.

As you ascend, the air gets thinner, giving the props less to bite into. An airplane has the added problem of generating less hp as it ascends. I'm not sure of how much of a performance hit the P3 will take, but even if it had unlimited power, there would be a point where it would stop ascending. In the case of a quad, you need reserve power to bring it back down. (Well, not really, but the landing would be a lot smoother)

I'm no Edmund Hillary.

Could there be more than one 'base camp'?
I've never been there.

This is the video I viewed:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you know better please share.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31