P3P Falls Out of Sky within a few seconds...WHY?

[QUOTE=" If that is a prop, it is a very big prop.

And it appears his props are the standard DJI white, not dark like the object above.

If I missed something here, please let me know. I would like to get this figured out correctly.[/QUOTE]

That is a bug flying close to the camera. You can see 2 or 3 of them flying around just before it took a dive.

What a shame not a good first flight. Just out of curiosity you mentioned this is your second refurbished P3, what happened to the first one?
it would not hold a hover steadily. it was all over the place and there were sensor errors I can't remember specifically.

I'm waiting to see if I can get another refurbished unit sent to me....so far it's looking good because this is ridiculously bad luck. I buy refurbished items all the time but ****.....gimme a break!

I find two things of interest. Scrubbing back from the frame showing the "prop" flying off I found a couple more frames with this object further away to the right. That along with the direct of flip and the fact that the "Motor Idling (Loose or Missing Propeller)" messages don't start until AFTER the craft has hit the ground! I think this was a (very fast) bird strike coming in from the right, which caused a tumble to the left, sending the bird (or whatever object it was) shooting up. This caused the crash, the broken propeller, and the subsequent error messages.

:38
View attachment 82423

:39
View attachment 82425

View attachment 82426

View attachment 82427 If that is a prop, it is a very big prop.

And it appears his props are the standard DJI white, not dark like the object above.

If I missed something here, please let me know. I would like to get this figured out correctly.
very interesting analysis....I have to say I was shocked at how quickly and randomly it fell out of the sky. you may be onto something because it sure felt like something inexplicable just happened!

Did you put silicone caulk in the threaded "hole" or on the threaded "shaft"? If you put the caulk in the hole, you could get a hydro-lock condition when putting the propeller on and it wouldn't screw down all the way. It would seem tight, but the caulk in the hole would prevent it from threading all the way down. Just a thought.

Did you put silicone caulk in the threaded "hole" or on the threaded "shaft"? If you put the caulk in the hole, you could get a hydro-lock condition when putting the propeller on and it wouldn't screw down all the way. It would seem tight, but the caulk in the hole would prevent it from threading all the way down. Just a thought.

No.

"No" doesn't answer the question. "Did you put silicone caulk in the threaded "hole" OR on the threaded "shaft"? Not trying to be difficult, but where did you put the silicone? In both cases it could cause hydro-lock, but more likely if it was put in the hole.
I'm the one that puts silicone caulk on the prop threads. I believe the OP is saying "no", he didn't use caulk. I don't see anywhere that Sean808080 (the OP) mentioned using caulk at all.

As far as your question, I put it on the threads only to avoid exactly what you're referring to. The amount I use is a "blob", probably the size of or less than the size of, a BB. Your thoughts are certainly something to consider for those thinking about doing it. I should have probably mentioned that caveat in my post.

Reactions: Great_Lakes
I'm the one that puts silicone caulk on the prop threads. I believe the OP is saying "no", he didn't use caulk. I don't see anywhere that Sean808080 (the OP) mentioned using caulk at all.

As far as your question, I put it on the threads only to avoid exactly what you're referring to. The amount I use is a "blob", probably the size of or less than the size of, a BB. Your thoughts are certainly something to consider for those thinking about doing it. I should have probably mentioned that caveat in my post.

You are correct. That wasn't you that answered "No". My mistake. :) I think the amount you are using isn't a problem.

Sorry about the crash, I've had 3 since I got my P3P about a year ago. I'm on my 3rd camera!!! Lol!

Reactions: Pharm
You are correct. That wasn't you that answered "No". My mistake. :) I think the amount you are using isn't a problem.

Sorry about the crash, I've had 3 since I got my P3P about a year ago. I'm on my 3rd camera!!! Lol!
I haven't crashed yet (been flying for a year and a half (P3S with DBS Mod)) but I fear my day is coming. I'll probably find out that my silicone caulk idea lubricates the threads instead of holding them and all four props will fly off at the same time while I'm over the lake. :)

Now if I can just solve my overheating camera issue...:

P3S Camera MAJOR overheating

Reactions: Great_Lakes
I haven't crashed yet (been flying for a year and a half (P3S with DBS Mod)) but I fear my day is coming. I'll probably find out that my silicone caulk idea lubricates the threads instead of holding them and all four props will fly off at the same time while I'm over the lake. :)

Now if I can just solve my overheating camera issue...:

P3S Camera MAJOR overheating

Lol (lubricates threads) !!

Don't know about the overheating issue.

Just to circle back on this, DJI were very slow and unresponsive but NewEgg came through and shipped me another unit after doing their process. I am quite impressed with NewEgg as they were very professional and responsive so I am quite pleased with them and will be sure to look to them for future purchases.

They are the opposite of DJI customer service in that you can always get someone who knows the right thing to do and understands how important getting good service is to customers. Great job NewEgg!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl