P3P and Acer Iconia 8W

Reaction score
I am totally new to this and got a P3P for Christmas, I have an Acer Iconia 8W tablet, I got the DJI Pilot apk.file downloaded and extracted, but, there doesn't appear to be an "auto.exe" or "inst.exe" anywhere? Has anybody got any suggestions? I have read through and lots of people seem to use them so it must be doable. Update: someone has suggested I need to use a "File manager app" , I have looked on the tab and used its own "Search" facility and nothing shows up, I know these are a weird animal as they run windows and Android so if anyone could PM me a contact number and talk me through it I would be really appreciative. TIA.

You need to sideload the APK.

You need to sideload the APK.

;-( Can't be "Sideloaded" , because it runs 2 OS , iOS Windows and Android, plus, it can't access "Google Pay" directly, not available on Iconia Tab 8W , not resident nor downloadable. Back to the drawing board but thanks anyway.

if he has the .apk file he could install it on every device running Android, including VM like bluestacks....unless the app updates itself only through Google Play. If the OP would provide what OS is the tablet running ( he could've installed android, like Amazon's android or BB's, but not Google's Android fork) would shed some light. If he's running windows, here's some advice How to Install Android on Your Windows 8 Tablet.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure DJI has an universal apk, not bound to google play. DJI is a chinese company and, ignoring the abundance of non-google android devices on Chinese market, we know how much love there is between China and Google.....

if he has the .apk file he could install it on every device running Android, including VM like bluestacks....unless the app updates itself only through Google Play. If the OP would provide what OS is the tablet running ( he could've installed android, like Amazon's android or BB's, but not Google's Android fork) would shed some light. If he's running windows, here's some advice How to Install Android on Your Windows 8 Tablet.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure DJI has an universal apk, not bound to google play. DJI is a chinese company and, ignoring the abundance of non-google android devices on Chinese market, we know how much love there is between China and Google.....

Hi, all I can say at the moment is that it runs Windows 8, I passed it into a guy to see if he can either install Google play or install the extracted programme. The Acer Iconia tab 8W is different to most as it runs both iOS and Android, seems crazy they would preinstall Microsoft app store but not Google play, I'll hve a look at the link and give him a ring in the morning and e-mail the link. Thanks.

Had a look at your supplied link, iOS (Apple Inc) is resident as is Android (Open handset alliance) , Windows and Android, I may be getting on and not 100% up to date with IT speak but I thought that was what you meant? As for flying knowledge, I've been flying model aircraft since I was knee high to my Dad, who actually built full size aircraft for Avro aviation during WW2 where he met my Mum on the production line. From age of 13 flying full size as and when possible plus RC FW and rotary, I came on for advice mate, no need to be rude, you could have just pointed out that wasn't what you meant, but thanks anyway.

I wasn't rude or trying to be. It was a sincere statement.
Now, if you want to install an apk file under Android:
- boot Android on Iconia and make sure you have the apk on a known location(folder, USB or sd).
- navigate to the file and tap it should install
the apk container is installer for android like exe/msi files are for windows.
what kind of Android is the Iconia running?

Is there a reason you want to use the Pilot app instead of the Go?

DJI Pilot was the link supplied by the DJI online support desk .

The Tab itself came without Google play pre-installed, it has Microsoft store but the Pilot/Go apps are not in the list of DJI apps though DJI View is? I was aware support was available for Iconia tab 8W and contacted the online support desk who gave me a link to DJI Pilot apk.

Android 5.0 (Lollipop).

When I downloaded the app it was in a compressed folder, the only options were "Open"-- "Open with" ,no run or install, hence I unzipped it and still no pointer for install. I'll try again what you suggest, but, 99% certain I've tried it before.

You can download the DJI GO APK here. It should not be compressed when downloaded.

Reactions: Brian T
DJI Pilot was the link supplied by the DJI online support desk .
When I downloaded the app it was in a compressed folder, the only options were "Open"-- "Open with" ,no run or install, hence I unzipped it and still no pointer for install. I'll try again what you suggest, but, 99% certain I've tried it before.
Brian, follow this
1.boot into Android, make sure the tablet is connected to internet
2. open whatever internet browser you have on the tablet
3. navigate to http://m.dji.net/djipilot ---- the apk download should start
4. click on the file when download is done ( 76 Megs) it should install
5. let us know if it works

Now I am totally giving up ! I decided enough was enough ! I went and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. No Microsoft to distract it or mess around with. Google play installed. I went to the Store, straight to the app (apk), no problem, yay , getting there ;-) Tap Install. "Your device is not compatible with this version." , WHAT ? It is the only version there. It is higher than the required "Version", it is Android only. I tried the http link provided as well, which I HAVE accessed before via the net "Bad gateway". Seriously had enough ! The sooner DJI bring out a suitable dedicated tab of their own the better.

For Sale 1 x Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and 1 x Acer Iconia 8, open to offers !

CANCELLED SALE.

yeehaa ! we have lift off, at least we will do tomorrow weather permitting.

Having tried the link provided by Phantom help earlier with no luck I decided to give it another try, straight in, straight on , installed, and running . I was so disappointed and getting really frustrated, but now over the Moon. Can't say thank you enough ;-)

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl