P3A engine screws / help needed

Reaction score
Hi guys,
i want to remove the prop guards and in order to do this I have to replace the longer screws with the original ones.

Ca anyone tell me the length of the P3a original engine screw ?

Thanks

You'd do best to get kosher screws, they have a small shoulder, see attached. I think they are fairly cheap on ebay
If you go with normal screws they measure 5.3mm (5mm) from underside of the head to the end of the thread, the thread has a diameter or 3mm and it looks like the pitch is 0.5mm which appears to be the standard/normal pitch for 3mm.
As far as I can see they are an Allen bolt NOT a Torx bolt but my 2mm Allen key is too big and a 1.5mm too small. The T8 bit fits, it could be my 2mm bit is big

Attachments

• motor screw length.jpg
    motor screw length.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 214
I have a bunch of the original motors screws. If you have trouble finding them,let me know. I don’t know what it would cost to get them from Alaska to France, I wouldn’t think it would cost much. They don’t weigh much, it would be the length of time to get there. I’d give them to you,just cover postage.

Reactions: rododendro
Ah didn't realise the OP was in Europe, sorry. See below, the first one looks like it might do and is probably on the French ebay

Set Screws Drone Dji Phantom 3 Series/pro / Adv Screws of Metal. Original | eBay

Reactions: KachemakDiver
I will check the length of the original screws to see. I do know if they are too long even by the slightest bit ,they will ruin your motors. I’ll get back here soon with the measurement.

I will check the length of the original screws to see. I do know if they are too long even by the slightest bit ,they will ruin your motors. I’ll get back here soon with the measurement.

According to PhliusFoggg the original screws are 5.3mm long from the underside of the head. So it’s o.7mm longer..

A point, the kosher screws have some form of anti vibration fall out 'glue' on them. If you do use your own screws it might be sensible to apply a SMALL drop of Loctite etc. to each screw to replicate this. DO NOT excessively tighten the screws, I know that is a subjective statement but it's the best I can do.

When you remove all the prop guard screws from one motor that motor may be loose enough to carefully and gently move it out of the way enough that you can see the inner face of the motor mountings. If so put a screw through the mounting, from the outside, and measure its 'inwards' protrusion. If you do not have calipers or do not have the clearance etc. to use them try using some card etc. pressed against both the mounting face and screw and mark the end of the screw on the card. Then CAREFULLY screw a screw into the motor to the depth of the protrusion STOP IF YOU FEEL IT HIT AN OBSTRUCTION.

The screw shown in my first post was taken from the motor mount of a dummy drone (ex shop display) with coloured prop screw motors. I have just measured the length of the screw taken from a working drone that has dotted ended prop shafts and it is 6mm inc the shoulder.
The mounts of the two type of motor are shown in the attached, it looks like the screw holes in the coloured shaft motors are not as deep as those in the 'dotted' motors and there is a plastic guard inboard of the screw holes in the coloured shaft motors. I have a 'for parts' drone somewhere which I think is of the coloured shaft type, if I can find it I will check the length of its screws.

One other thing to consider is the fit of the screw heads in the recesses in the lower shell half, bearing in mind that these shells seem to be prone to cracks, it might NOT be a good idea for the screw heads to be so large that they foul the side walls of their recess and are drawn into those recesses as the screws are tightened.

All the above said if your prop guards are of the detachable type, quite a few people leave the attachment points on the drone even if they never use the guards

Attachments

• motor mounts.jpg
    motor mounts.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 199
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KachemakDiver
Thank you.
I’ve already put in the 6mm screws, I felt no obstruction nor particular resistance when screwing in.

Hope I’m not messing up with my phantom, I’ll try it next week.

If you want you can leave the props off the motors and start the drone up. If any motor damage has occurred, they will not not start and an ECS error will be displayed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20