P3A 1st flight - observations from a Bebop 2 pilot

Reaction score
1. Props lower pitch. Possibly less noisy that the Bebop 2.
2. Possibly a little bit more movement (adjustment) in wind than the B2. Maybe I'm just more nervous.
3. Obviously photos and videos a lot better quality, as expected.
4. Auto record video on take off on the B2 is not the default on the P3.
5. Default ratio for photos is 4:3, which look narrow to me.
6. Gimbal up/down seemed the wrong way round to me but should get used to it.
7. The wealth of options/settings started me worrying I'd spent so long getting everything "just so" in pre-flight that I'd never take off!
8. Horizon wasn't quite level. I don't think I've done the IMU calibration.
9. With the P3 in my hand, doing the calibration or whatever, it's not immediately obvious which way it is. i.e. what is front and back. And also not obvious which are the "front LEDs" and which are the "aircraft status indicators".

Just newbie thoughts really. Hopefully all will come good.

Also noticed that the right stick sometimes didn't move the drone the way I was expecting. It's possible I imagined it but a couple of times it didn't seem to move relative to what I was pointing at. i.e. I'd push right and it would go backwards.

Also noticed that the right stick sometimes didn't move the drone the way I was expecting. It's possible I imagined it but a couple of times it didn't seem to move relative to what I was pointing at. i.e. I'd push right and it would go backwards.
You must have turned it. In order to keep fwd, fwd, you will need to use Home Lock. That way no matter where the camera is pointing, the flight orientation stays the same :)

This is what DJI needs to add to the app. A few times it switches to camera mode, I hit record and find out after the flight I took one picture during take off, no video. I know it should be on the checklist during the initial hover but those using a phone, some of these are small and not so obvious with a quick glance.

Reactions: Reed L

It is preferable this way because setting it to 16:9 only means the vertical resolution is lowered to change the aspect ratio.

Reactions: monkeychops
If your camera stuff seems strange, you need to format the SDcard. Remove all the files Then go to the tool section on the camera menu, scroll down as far as you can go and select the Format SD card. That took care of all my problems. I also remove the firmware files.

1. Props lower pitch. Possibly less noisy that the Bebop 2.
2. Possibly a little bit more movement (adjustment) in wind than the B2. Maybe I'm just more nervous.
3. Obviously photos and videos a lot better quality, as expected.
6. Gimbal up/down seemed the wrong way round to me but should get used to it.
7. The wealth of options/settings started me worrying I'd spent so long getting everything "just so" in pre-flight that I'd never take off!
8. Horizon wasn't quite level. I don't think I've done the IMU calibration.
9. With the P3 in my hand, doing the calibration or whatever, it's not immediately obvious which way it is. i.e. what is front and back. And also not obvious which are the "front LEDs" and which are the "aircraft status indicators".

Just newbie thoughts really. Hopefully all will come good.

Excellent observations! I'm in the same boat as you. I can say, without a doubt, that the Bebop 2 is quieter than the P3A that I have. I purchased the P3A for the improvement in video quality and range increase, however I wasn't blown away by the difference as I expected but it is better. I do like the manual camera settings though and the ability to easily use a range of filters on the P3A.

The ability to live stream and the better camera are the two advantages that I enjoy with the P3A. However the Bebop 2 is quieter, can be strapped to the outside of a small sling bag with all the support equipment and a range extender and still take us less room that the P3 aircraft alone. I like the waypoint and POI applications with the Bebop 2 better than those with the P3A.

Another one after a couple more days: all the photos I've taken have looked a little bit disappointing compared to the awesome video.

Everything on default settings, the photos I've taken don't look that clear. Might just be my expectations too high.

I need to spend time looking at the multitude of camera settings, but just saying.

Sent from my SM-N910F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Newbie here too - First real flight last night and I'm in love. Not much of a photographer either so i will probably not play with the manual settings but i thought the pictures looked pretty good. Not sure if i know how to do this but will try and attach 2 photos. Constructive criticism welcome ;) (I also dragged these off myFB so its not the original quality)
13700997_10210110920311879_7701342411592027780_o.jpg
13698297_10210110918311829_5688745252139902109_o.jpg

Newbie here too - First real flight last night and I'm in love. Not much of a photographer either so i will probably not play with the manual settings but i thought the pictures looked pretty good. Not sure if i know how to do this but will try and attach 2 photos. Constructive criticism welcome ;) (I also dragged these off myFB so its not the original quality)
View attachment 60301View attachment 60302

I noticed the tilted horizon right off. You should go ahead and do IMU and Gimbal calibrations so you can get it leveled out.

I couldn't trust my bebop more than 30' up or 50' away from me. I understand your observations but for me there is simply no comparison in any way, shape or form. I went from a bebop to a yuneec q500 and it was a fantastic upgrade and experience. But the phantom is actually getting me the results I need most. The only thing the bebop taught me to do is fly, having zero experience prior. I'll give it that, but that's it.

I couldn't trust my bebop more than 30' up or 50' away from me.

Thats because you where using your phone or tablet. I used the bebop 2 with skycontroller and could get further than I can now with my EU spec P3A on the same terrain (we flew both together there). And with a ~$10 xiaomi wifi repeater, I can still get up to 1.5Km, which is plenty for me.

IMO the bebop is more fun to fly, its more agile, faster, and less threatening because its so small and light and small props. Its far more portable and using a mini wifi repeater and game controller, you get almost all the functionality of the skycontroller and it fits in the palm of your hand.

I never had any compass issues and the bebop would take off and navigate flawlessly where the phantom refuses to arm (rebar in concrete slab).

The image stabilization on the bebop is remarkable (provided you dont pan/tilt too much), however, the video quality is a let down, especially when filming things like trees/grass/bushes and if course, when tilting the FOV. Thats ultimately why I gave it away and got a phantom. I also hated the lack of SD card and only 8GB of storage.

If only parrot made a bebop with better optics/sensor and a much higher video bitrate, SD card slot, and I would probably sell my phantom again and buy a "bebop 3".

Reactions: eflyersteve
Here's a clip I shot with the bebop that shows both its strength and weaknesses:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I havent tried this yet with the phantom (because the Losi car is being repaired), but I suspect I'll have (even more) trouble keeping up. The slow yaw and yaw stabilization will also make it very hard to frame it right.

OTOH, the BB2 video is blurry as hell, and thats only partially due to youtube. If things move fast and dont have well defined edges, the low video bitrate of the BB2 just doesnt cut it. Shame...

Last edited:
Reactions: FT in Japan
I noticed the tilted horizon right off. You should go ahead and do IMU and Gimbal calibrations so you can get it leveled out.

I see that now that you pointed it out but I hadn't noticed before. I did an imu calibration out of the box but not gimble. Will try both later and see if it helps. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thats because you where using your phone or tablet. I used the bebop 2 with skycontroller and could get further than I can now with my EU spec P3A on the same terrain (we flew both together there). And with a ~$10 xiaomi wifi repeater, I can still get up to 1.5Km, which is plenty for me.

IMO the bebop is more fun to fly, its more agile, faster, and less threatening because its so small and light and small props. Its far more portable and using a mini wifi repeater and game controller, you get almost all the functionality of the skycontroller and it fits in the palm of your hand.

I never had any compass issues and the bebop would take off and navigate flawlessly where the phantom refuses to arm (rebar in concrete slab).

The image stabilization on the bebop is remarkable (provided you dont pan/tilt too much), however, the video quality is a let down, especially when filming things like trees/grass/bushes and if course, when tilting the FOV. Thats ultimately why I gave it away and got a phantom. I also hated the lack of SD card and only 8GB of storage.

If only parrot made a bebop with better optics/sensor and a much higher video bitrate, SD card slot, and I would probably sell my phantom again and buy a "bebop 3".
You had a good experience with your bebop. Cool. I did too for the most part, but it just could not serve as a professional drone camera for me in a number of ways. I think that when you fly the phantom long enough it's difficult to find another drone more fully capable. Nothing wrong with appreciating every drone you own for one reason or another. I love my yuneec q500 and I was quite sure I'd continue flying it even after I got the phantom. That hasn't happened, lol. Everything I need and appreciate is in one bird, the phantom.

I did too for the most part, but it just could not serve as a professional drone camera for me in a number of ways.

Its hard to disagree with that. But if you flew the bebop with just your phone, then dont judge too quickly, you will not have found out how much fun it is to fly, how responsive, fast and precise. Almost mini quad like. The phantom flies like an elephant in comparison. There is no question in my mind the bebop is the better flyer, and just as true, the phantom clearly has the much better camera (though still in need of improvement, particularly for photo's). If someone could combine those properties, you'd have a real winner. As it is, neither really satisfies my needs.

Another one after a couple more days: all the photos I've taken have looked a little bit disappointing compared to the awesome video.

Everything on default settings, the photos I've taken don't look that clear. Might just be my expectations too high.

I need to spend time looking at the multitude of camera settings, but just saying.

Sent from my SM-N910F using PhantomPilots mobile app

If your shutter speed it snaps these picture at is less the 100/sec it can get camera movement blur if it was a gloomy day in the UK as it can be ;) - leave it set in auto for the first few goes, and a warm sunny day and see what you get then, videos will look sharper :)

This is what DJI needs to add to the app. A few times it switches to camera mode, I hit record and find out after the flight I took one picture during take off, no video. I know it should be on the checklist during the initial hover but those using a phone, some of these are small and not so obvious with a quick glance.

Bryan, instead of tapping the record button on the screen in the GO app, push the video record button on the left side of the controller and it will switch to video mode and start recording if it's in photo mode.

Reactions: bryan_m
Also, need to do the gimbal calibration too, horizon often not straight. Keep forgetting though.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted. But Ive calibrated mine like a dozen times now, and it will still roll when flying fast or in strong wind (I think?). Im not sure I believe its a problem with the calibration, as within the same flight it will be level at times, then slowly drift, then be right again. Like in this flight today:

I wouldnt call it normal, but at least it appears to be a common problem with the phantom. I just saw this, and may try this next:

Yes, adding a range extender or using the sky controller makes for much farther control and FPV range. I get about a mile out of the Bebop 2 with a range extender where I get about 1.25 miles out of the P3A flying the same course. Another thing to note is that the Bebop 2 seems to have better wind penetration than my P3A. I can cover more ground on a single charge with the Bebop 2 than the P3A in my experience.

I don't mean to take anything away from the P3 though - it is a great video platform and gets a lot of things right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.