P3 Wind Speed Tools

Unless you have the anemometer on the end of a pole 400' in the air, the VP2 will not tell you either...
Exactly.

As for making Phantom able to read wind speed (other than the data provided by Healthy Drone), I wonder what kind of hardware will be needed to be built into the Phantom? Will it make the Phantom bulkier and heavier? If so, no thanks.

I also question the method that Healthy Drones uses as the results can be pretty odd sometimes. In this example, I find it hard to believe that I had an almost 40mph wind at an altitude of 11 feet. In fact I know that is a bad reading :)

Another example there is the values at 43s and 1m 41s. I suspect this data can give you a ballpark reading but don't depend on it heh.

wind.jpg

Have you seen the Healthy Drones wind speed page?

Here is a picture attached of one of my flights I've uploaded to Healthy Drones.
Does it mean P3 computes Wind speeds and directions?

I also question the method that Healthy Drones uses as the results can be pretty odd sometimes. In this example, I find it hard to believe that I had an almost 40mph wind at an altitude of 11 feet. In fact I know that is a bad reading :)

Another example there is the values at 43s and 1m 41s. I suspect this data can give you a ballpark reading but don't depend on it heh.

wind.jpg
I am sure these are calculated values based upon the ESC current differences. Results will be quite reasonable only when drone speed is zero (Hovering)

Reactions: B- Scene Films
I use the WindAlert app on my iPhone to get a general idea of reported wind speed around my location..... but this doesn't account for the altitude differential of me vs the P3... still, gives a good general idea... if I want to know how strong the wind is at altitude, I change P3 to ATTI mode and watch the drift for 10 seconds... the map can give you an idea of drift distance over time to gauge wind velocity at the flight altitude

The OP is suggesting you take an anemometer with you to check the wind speed where you're flying. I don't think he necessarily expects that most people will take a full-sized weather station with them. But, the Davis Vantage Pro2 is certainly portable enough to do so if you wanted to.

msinger is right on the subject. I was pointing out a good tool to use, and then showed all what I used. Also as msinger mentioned, if you going somewhere for the day, there is no hassle with taking the Davis Vantage Pro2. To begin with, you do not need to take the rain gauge. Total weight for the system needed like what I use without rain gauge is only around 3-4pds. My anemometer is mounted on a plastic pvc pipe which is minimal weight overall. And then of course the wind speed you are measuring, will come from the height the anemometer is placed. In my opinion, all wind under 175ft altitude is surface or ground wind. Above 175ft you are getting into Sustained Wind and on up you begin to get into Jet Stream.

My rule of thumb that is always works for me is, say the weather forecast calls for 15mph winds with 27mpg gust. What I have found is, the speed in the mentioned above Sustained Wind area will very close to that 27mph number. Now I actually get more into then that and go to a website I use that is real good for forecasting the Hourly Wind Speed. I use that info and then know what hours of the day I need fly when wanting the most mph I can have to attempt mph records for the P3.

*Anytime you want to know the exact wind speed at the altitude you are flying at, all you have to do is place the Flight Mode Switch into A-mode and allow your P3 to drift for 10 seconds. Once you see it level off, or don't want it to drift too far away, just switch back to P-mode. This number shows up on your flight log for later reference should you need to show the air speed for that flight.

wind.jpg

You know that wind isn't a constant.... It does change direction and speed..
And according to that data, if you ignore extreme erroneous values (like statitician does) then the data looks correct.
And lastly, did you hand catch @ 8m 21s @ 11ft? Sometimes handcatching and swinging the phantom around may cause erroneous values considering it uses angles to measure the wind speed.

I am sure these are calculated values based upon the ESC current differences. Results will be quite reasonable only when drone speed is zero (Hovering)
Yes, I believe they are derived relative to the induced pitch and speed that the ESCs are applying in GPS p-Mode, rather that an absolute wind measurement. The angle is probably close to accurate whereas the speed estimate is probably coarse.

This is what I use and set it to 400ft so I know the max I could be dealing with. You will be surprised at the wind speed at elevation vs ground level.

UAV Weather Forecast

As a hang glider pilot i have noticed wind speed and direction change dramatically at different heights, wind sheer has caused me stalls many times but with enough height those are recovered in a couple of seconds,
Basically wind speed is reduced by friction, the closer to the ground the slower it will be, depending on the terrain such as trees or buildings,

Bit OT but has anyone noticed the phantom being affected by thermals? i spent years searching them out and also spent time playing close to cumulus nimbus... very powerful things.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj