Flying in congested Area

Reaction score
Hello!
Question about NOTAMs:
I am looking at flying north of Spooner Summit, Nevada- type it in 'The Google' and you will see the area... many small aircraft fly this 'gap' on the way to California. on Fridays there are lots of small aircraft flying from Nevada to California. in one hour, I counted 8 different planes going east to west, then 2 military helicopters flying west to east. the helicopters flew the lowest- maybe a couple hundred feet above the highest point? I was up there this morning- Tuesday- and only 2 small aircraft came through the area- but still low! another issue is the winds- this area is more or less the 'eastern crest of the Sierra Nevada's' so when the nearest weather station(us 50 at Spooner summit NDOT RWIS webpage) has 7 MPH gusts, the wind up on the ridge is more like 20MPH... todays weather forcast says calm winds, gusts 5- 10.
So, requesting a NOTAM for a day does not sound feasible- not sure if the conditions will be right to fly. Should I request one for a week? should I request one at all??
pretty new to this whole drone thing, but totally enthralled by it! any help on NOTAMs or flying in areas of 100's of feet of relief would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance-

Welcome to the forum :)

I wouldn't fly in that area at all. Is any picture or video you could take worth the risk of a drone to sUAS incident? Keep in mind that requesting a NOTAM may not help at all because it's a DROTAM and many pilots don't know to look for a DROTAM. It doesn't go out on the NOTAM circuit unless it's changed recently.

Welcome to the forum :)

I wouldn't fly in that area at all. Is any picture or video you could take worth the risk of a drone to sUAS incident? Keep in mind that requesting a NOTAM may not help at all because it's a DROTAM and many pilots don't know to look for a DROTAM. It doesn't go out on the NOTAM circuit unless it's changed recently.
Thanks for your time BigAl07- although not what I wanted to hear, I appreciate your thoughts and experience.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1