P3 SE - how the heck do I fix this "country code" error message...

Reaction score
I'm a new drone user. I recently brought my new drone, a brand new Phantom 3 SE, with me to Iceland. I registered it at home in the US before bringing it here, and now I am using a foreign sim card with my iPhone7 and I keep getting this error message (attached) which is preventing my from flying my drone in the beautiful wintry wonderland of Iceland. Needless to say I am a bit crushed, and need to figure out how to fix it. Actual Phantom help is not available until Monday, and that's when I head home. Can anyone PLEASE help me fix this?

Every time I turn everything on, the drone camera will be fully connected for a few seconds, and then this comes up and tells me to reconnect, which does not fix the problem. PLEASE HELP :(

IMG_8221.PNG

You're from the USA? You want to fly in Iceland. So it wants to switch from FCC mode to CE mode.

The SE is a little odd and seems to possibly behave differently when in different geographic modes, and not just in regards to signal strength.

You should check your mobile device and be sure the settings will accept both 2.4 ghz wifi and also 5 ghz wifi. You should be sure both are enabled.

When it says to reconnect, you would probably be wise to turn everything off and start over.

Last edited:
You're from the USA? You want to fly in Iceland. So it wants to switch from FCC mode to CE mode.

The SE is a little odd and seems to possibly behave differently when in different geographic modes, and not just in regards to signal strength.

You should check your mobile device and be sure the settings will accept both 2.4 ghz wifi and also 5 ghz wifi. You should be sure both are enabled.

When it says to reconnect, you would probably be wise to turn everything off and start over.

Where in the settings can I switch the mode?

You cannot switch the FCC/CE mode. It's done automatically when the mobile device you have senses what geographic location it is in. I believe it uses the GPS within the mobile device to determine what country you're trying to fly.

Another oddity: apparently the wifi to the mobile device switches freqs depending on what "wifi" freq you choose in the Go app. But the freq is actually opposite of the one you choose. That's because the freq you choose is the signal between controller and AC. This is how it seems to work in CE mode, from what I've read in posts.

I had a miserable time in italy trying to get my SE to fly with the same message and also losing signal very often and fast even from 2 feet away..I bought it in the U.S. flew it twice then brought it overseas.

I was staying on the amalfi coast and tried to fly it a few times but had very little luck because it couldn’t connect or stay connected. I gave up because I was so frustrated and couldn’t find anyone else talking about this exact country code thing online. A few days later we went on a boat with a captain we knew, approximately 1 mile off the coast of capri I got the drone out.... super sketched out about it landing in the water it connected and I took flight.

Lost connection once but got it back and all was good. So couldn’t fly it close to town but would work away from everything. I also stopped in Tuscany and was able to fly it easily.

Once I got home to the U.S. again it’s still working flawlessly.

While there I thought it had to do with the large cliffs messing with my connection and it seemed like the more space I had it worked better. Are you really close to large obstructions when trying to take off? I tried everything I saw that would possibly help me besides messing with the firmware. I did not see anything about FCC/CE mode or the problems when I was trying to solve mine.

Very sorry you are dealing with this but I hope that this might help you/help someone else see something that would help you fix it.. or at least so you know you are not the only person to deal with this.

I think the problem here is the NFZ affecting it. Reason being is you downloaded the app in america and it took your signal from your phone and registered it there. When you went abroad the NFZ was not recognised as an American state as it used the GPS. this will make conflictions. The easiest way around this is to uninstall the app, install and log in. The maps will then casch and update the GPS. now I know this sounds so far fetched as others have toured around the world with their phantoms and not had these problems or even had to uninstall the apps. This is just a guess 100% but its the only thing I can think of

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I like that idea. The SE is significantly different than the other Phantoms so I don't know if we can look at the other Phantoms for how to solve the problem. I would try Neon's idea. Nothing to lose.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I think the problem here is the NFZ affecting it. Reason being is you downloaded the app in america and it took your signal from your phone and registered it there. When you went abroad the NFZ was not recognised as an American state as it used the GPS. this will make conflictions. The easiest way around this is to uninstall the app, install and log in. The maps will then casch and update the GPS. now I know this sounds so far fetched as others have toured around the world with their phantoms and not had these problems or even had to uninstall the apps. This is just a guess 100% but its the only thing I can think of

When it was happening to me I️ tried to uninstall the app, change countries, uploading the app to other devices that it previously wasn’t on in the states, and also deleted all cached info, reset the drone and controllers themselves/ relink them. Still couldn’t figure it out

If App reinstall doesn't help it means the misshandled data is stored in memory of drone or controller. You can try one more idea: To downgrade firmware to an older version

Reactions: Motlock
Same problem for me.. Installed the app in my own country(i did not travel overseas), managed to fly for months till past few days where this message pops out. still could not get rid of it even when i tried the above methods.. Would appreciate anymore solutions~~

Same problem for me.. Installed the app in my own country(i did not travel overseas), managed to fly for months till past few days where this message pops out. still could not get rid of it even when i tried the above methods.. Would appreciate anymore solutions~~
You did not travel to another country and have this message?

nope i did not travel. Tried searching for solutions and this post is the only answer to my problem but does not work out for me. And i dont think the firmware is any part of the problem since i managed to flew a few times after the most recent version update

nope i did not travel. Tried searching for solutions and this post is the only answer to my problem but does not work out for me. And i dont think the firmware is any part of the problem since i managed to flew a few times after the most recent version update
Yes, the firmware can not cause, nor solve the problem. But the change of firmware reinitiate some things in the deep, thats why i think that the change can be a solutions if you have luck. You already tried that as well?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj