P3 Camera Gimbal

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am new to this forum and need some information if anyone can help it would be great.
Here is my problem...I damaged my Pro 3 camera gimbal.. was in flight and the camera came away from the gimbal. Reattached camera and it operated well.. Then had a slight altercation with a tree branch but I must stress not a serious one but the camera did come away from the Gimbal again. Reattached it again but this time I kept getting intermittent picture feed whilst in flight and it kept stopping record after a few seconds.
Replaced ribbon and gimbal arm but the same problem occurred.
I purchased a new 4K camera from an authorised dealer Via Aliexpress.
Now here is the problem... I have fitted the new camera but it does nothing when I power up the Drone... the original still does its normal start up "dance" but the new one does nothing at all and my on screen display shows "No Camera Present". I have been in touch with DJi and they only want to know about the original camera problems and wont even discuss the new camera other than where did I get it from then proceed to tell me to send the whole lot to them and let them deal with it but at a $400.00 cost to me.
It now appears from information I have gotten from DJI that each camera is "paired" to the Drone and only their technicians can get it to work...
Don't get me wrong I am more than happy to pay if that is what it takes but my reason for purchasing the new camera was so that I could have a spare when the original is fixed to change-out quickly in the future as the drone is operated in remote areas far from DJI help and technicians.
Can any one verify the information I have received...Or do I have another Dud in the new camera as well.
Thank You

Hi guys,
I am new to this forum and need some information if anyone can help it would be great.
Here is my problem...I damaged my Pro 3 camera gimbal.. was in flight and the camera came away from the gimbal. Reattached camera and it operated well.. Then had a slight altercation with a tree branch but I must stress not a serious one but the camera did come away from the Gimbal again. Reattached it again but this time I kept getting intermittent picture feed whilst in flight and it kept stopping record after a few seconds.
Replaced ribbon and gimbal arm but the same problem occurred.
I purchased a new 4K camera from an authorised dealer Via Aliexpress.
Now here is the problem... I have fitted the new camera but it does nothing when I power up the Drone... the original still does its normal start up "dance" but the new one does nothing at all and my on screen display shows "No Camera Present". I have been in touch with DJi and they only want to know about the original camera problems and wont even discuss the new camera other than where did I get it from then proceed to tell me to send the whole lot to them and let them deal with it but at a $400.00 cost to me.
It now appears from information I have gotten from DJI that each camera is "paired" to the Drone and only their technicians can get it to work...
Don't get me wrong I am more than happy to pay if that is what it takes but my reason for purchasing the new camera was so that I could have a spare when the original is fixed to change-out quickly in the future as the drone is operated in remote areas far from DJI help and technicians.
Can any one verify the information I have received...Or do I have another Dud in the new camera as well.
Thank You
I wouldn't always believe what DJI tell you.... :)

It sounds to me that you may have bought the slightly cheaper P3 4K camera, which is not the same and is totally incompatible with the P3 Pro (and the P3 Adv). You may also have cooked some boards or cables when you turned it on.....Or you might be lucky.

See here PSA: Do NOT put a P34K camera/gimbal on a P3P and a further search using the magnifying glass top right will find you more relevant results.

Last edited:
It now appears from information I have gotten from DJI that each camera is "paired" to the Drone and only their technicians can get it to work
That's not true. You can install any P3P camera/gimbal without any type of pairing process. The P3A camera/gimbal is also compatible (if you don't need 4K video).

Are you sure you have a P3P camera?

It sounds to me that you may have bought the slightly cheaper P3 4K camera, which is not the same and is totally incompatible with the P3 Pro (and the P3 Adv). You may also have cooked some boards or cables when you turned it on.....Or you might be lucky.

See here PSA: Do NOT put a P34K camera/gimbal on a P3P and a further search using the magnifying glass top right will find you more relevant results.
@Steve7777 Its so unfortunate how often we need to inform people that a P34K camera is not compatible with a P3A or P3P. The moment I see, "I bought a new 4k camera" in a post, I expect the next sentence to be something about smoke and melting wires. In this case, with no mention of a meltdown situation I have my fingers crossed that this was actually a P3P camera.

@Robertatsaenth As noted, DJI regularly gives incorrect information. In fact, it is almost expected at this point.

Aside from the earlier questions, did you use an OEM ribbon cable? I ask because we have seen literally countless posts from people who have used third party ribbon cables which did not work. In fact, I don't recall if I've ever seen anyone here note that a third party ribbon cable actually did work for them. Just something to consider during your troubleshooting.

Reactions: Steve7777
@Steve7777 Its so unfortunate how often we need to inform people that a P34K camera is not compatible with a P3A or P3P. The moment I see, "I bought a new 4k camera" in a post, I expect the next sentence to be something about smoke and melting wires. In this case, with no mention of a meltdown situation I have my fingers crossed that this was actually a P3P camera.

@Robertatsaenth As noted, DJI regularly gives incorrect information. In fact, it is almost expected at this point.

Aside from the earlier questions, did you use an OEM ribbon cable? I ask because we have seen literally countless posts from people who have used third party ribbon cables which did not work. In fact, I don't recall if I've ever seen anyone here note that a third party ribbon cable actually did work for them. Just something to consider during your troubleshooting.
Very true, Oso - but it's oh-so-easy to be wise after the event(s). ;)

Anyway, let's hope that the OP can confirm if he has definitely bought the correct P3 Pro 4k camera and if so, we and he can move onto the next stage of finding the problem, possibly a non-OEM ribbon cable, as you have suggested.

Wow! Thank you for sharing that. I recently picked up a P3 4k with the intent to replace my blown P3P camera/gimbal (the dreaded FPV failure). Only reason I didn't was the wife liked having her own bird and decided to keep it. Now it appears she saved me from all kinds of heartache!

Wow! Thank you for sharing that. I recently picked up a P3 4k with the intent to replace my blown P3P camera/gimbal (the dreaded FPV failure). Only reason I didn't was the wife liked having her own bird and decided to keep it. Now it appears she saved me from all kinds of heartache!
I (and probably @Oso ) are very glad that we have stopped at least one catastrophe from happening before the event, even though you had already decided not to go ahead with the swap!

I'm definitely no expert but I have learned such a lot from just browsing and searching this forum whenever I can (although I do also have a 'real' life as well :))

Very true, Oso - but it's oh-so-easy to be wise after the event(s). ;)

Anyway, let's hope that the OP can confirm if he has definitely bought the correct P3 Pro 4k camera and if so, we and he can move onto the next stage of finding the problem, possibly a non-OEM ribbon cable, as you have suggested.
But maybe it's not the ribbon cable, @Oso , as I've just noticed that the OP says that the old camera still starts up OK, presumably on the new ribbon cable...

Agreed. Usually a bad cable will work or not work, assuming it isn't damaged. His issue is intermittent.
I find it strange, though not unheard of for the camera to come off the gimbal. Or perhaps it was really the gimbal separating from the mount? Got to make sure the drop pins are intact. And only use two on opposite corners, never 4 or you'll likely get excessive vibration interference.

No smoking leads no apparent damage to anything else have refitted old camera and it still goes through start up sequence and returns the same results flickering picture stops starts when recording as well as intermittent transmissions to screen on remote

See here PSA: Do NOT put a P34K camera/gimbal on a P3P and a further search using the magnifying glass top right will find you more relevant results.[/Q
Agreed. Usually a bad cable will work or not work, assuming it isn't damaged. His issue is intermittent.
I find it strange, though not unheard of for the camera to come off the gimbal. Or perhaps it was really the gimbal separating from the mount? Got to make sure the drop pins are intact. And only use two on opposite corners, never 4 or you'll likely get excessive vibration interference.
The first time camera came away from the Gimbal roll arm. When I refitted it back on I just had to push it back on the gimbal roll arm shaft and it all worked well..
When it hit the tree branch it did the same but when I refitted it that time and powered up the Drone there were lines across the screen and the same appeared on the playback when I took the video off the card and played it back on my computer...The camera also did not re-centre as it normally did upon start up...
I Contacted DJI they said as I had modified it ???? (I only pushed the camera back onto the Gimbal Arm) and it had been crashed "Warranty was Void" all repairs would be at a cost to me which I can accept as it did technically crash... So I thought if I had to pay I would put a new camera on it and use the other one for spares if needed.

The first time camera came away from the Gimbal roll arm. When I refitted it back on I just had to push it back on the gimbal roll arm shaft and it all worked well..
When it hit the tree branch it did the same but when I refitted it that time and powered up the Drone there were lines across the screen and the same appeared on the playback when I took the video off the card and played it back on my computer...The camera also did not re-centre as it normally did upon start up...
I Contacted DJI they said as I had modified it ???? (I only pushed the camera back onto the Gimbal Arm) and it had been crashed "Warranty was Void" all repairs would be at a cost to me which I can accept as it did technically crash... So I thought if I had to pay I would put a new camera on it and use the other one for spares if needed.

That's not true. You can install any P3P camera/gimbal without any type of pairing process. The P3A camera/gimbal is also compatible (if you don't need 4K video).

Are you sure you have a P3P camera?
When purchased I told them it was a P3P but not sure what I got

When purchased I told them it was a P3P but not sure what I got
Does the sticker on top of the gimbal say PHANTOM PRO (this is good) or does it say PHANTOM 4K (this is bad).

Used the original cables no melted or hot wires...absolutely nothing happened

You may be right so I reconnected old camera and it still works as before with no change.
I have triple checked new camera and It may possibly be a P3-4K as I cannot see Professional written on it anywhere as the original has.

Nope not a thing... but good news is I reconnected old camera and it still works as before with no change
So it looks like there are 2 possibilities. Either the so-far unidentified replacement camera isn't the correct one for a P3 Pro, or you've been supplied with a correct but defective one. In either case I think return to seller is the correct way forward. I have never bought off Aliexpress, so I don't know how costly this would be for shipping.

Then I'd have a re-think about repairing the old camera. IMHO it's not worth possibly spending $400 to get it fixed, but refixing the roll arm motor ring so it stays on is a possibility. I did a quick search here and there's quite a lot of info on the subject.

Search Results for Query: roll arm ring | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

Here's one from the results above that might be useful.

Haven't seen this one before

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj