P3 Adv - Problems Holding Altitude

Reaction score
My P3/Adv has become quirky at low altitudes - anything below 10 or 12 feet. Sometimes when hovering at 4 or 6 ft, it will drop all the way to surface.

Is this a malfunction of the VPS? Will turning it off resolve this issue?

Suggestions appreciated.

BT

My P3/Adv has become quirky at low altitudes - anything below 10 or 12 feet. Sometimes when hovering at 4 or 6 ft, it will drop all the way to surface.
Is this a malfunction of the VPS? Will turning it off resolve this issue?
That would be the first thing I'd investigate - easy enough to switch off and compare.
That it's only happening in VPS range is very suspicious.
The VPS has limitations and doesn't work in all conditions.
See here for details of situations where it might have trouble:
i-g35PrR7.jpg

Noticed that with my P3A when I'm on my gravel driveway . Have not tried it over any other surface . Could it be having a hard time on gravel ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Gravel could confuse the VPS camera, it needs fairly clear and well defined patterns on the ground to work. Gravel would be fall in the category of the next to last conditions in the list the meta4 posted. Would also tend to scatter the sound more weakening the return signal. Does the bird actuall 'drop' as in fall to the ground or does it fluctuate? A hard drop would be curious.

Gravel could confuse the VPS camera, it needs fairly clear and well defined patterns on the ground to work. Gravel would be fall in the category of the next to last conditions in the list the meta4 posted. Would also tend to scatter the sound more weakening the return signal. Does the bird actuall 'drop' as in fall to the ground or does it fluctuate? A hard drop would be curious.

I notice the quirky, vertical behavior over my concrete sidewalk. The self descent, for lack of a better term, does not result in a hard landing. The bird will slow just before hitting the sidewalk.

BT

Same here it never falls to the ground but I do notice that if I'm 20' in the air it stays relatively level and keeps position. But if I'm 6' or so it can fluctuate a few feet either way and from side to side

Same here it never falls to the ground but I do notice that if I'm 20' in the air it stays relatively level and keeps position. But if I'm 6' or so it can fluctuate a few feet either way and from side to side

Remember, VPS range is 0.3 to 3 meters so at 20 ft, you are on GPS, not VPS.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31