P2v3 Lake Crash

Reaction score
This was completely my fault. I was just too far away. My depth perception was way off and didn't realize till the last minute. Has anyone rebuilt a Phantom that took a dive into water? I'm wondering what my options are at this point.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off how long did it stay in the water. Since the power was on it most likely damaged the ESC ( motor controllers) . The best method is to completely dry her out , several options by putting in rice, using a hair dryer and let her stand in the sun for a few days. After she is totally dry, put in a clean battery, power up and start testing components. Most electronics and motors can take a good dunking and even be in water for days as long as components are sealed, cleaned, and then dried completely. Test and replace bad blown components. It's step at a time. But you will be surprised at what still works.

It was in about just shy of tow hours. I'm gonna take her to work and flow N2 through her all day to dry her out real good and then like you said start testing components. Thanks for the reply.

i have a phantom 3 and it did the same thing but was only in the water a few seconds. i was right at edge of shoreline of a freshwater lake (reservoir) I immediately popped out the battery (if you have juice flowing to ccircuits can short them out, so best to not have current going). i then took it inside, gently shook out several times then ran a hair dryer for about half hour. its dry on outside, but i tried battery this morning, the battery lights up but no power in the copter.... of course if anyone crashes into salt water with anything electronic youre toast. But anyone with any experience with this with fresh water and just in for a few seconds, not hours like thew one above... thanks

This was completely my fault. I was just too far away. My depth perception was way off and didn't realize till the last minute. Has anyone rebuilt a Phantom that took a dive into water? I'm wondering what my options are at this point.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

hi, i did pretty much same thing, also a fresh water lake, clipped a branch like thatm, except i was flying it back to me, not away, so it clipped a branch about 6 ft from me,. i tied to catch it before it fellin, so only was in water few seconds, and i took it inslide and immediately dried it off, and then hair dryer for about 30 mins.(see my posting here) just wondered, that was sunday, did you get it working again.?

If in salt water it's not that. Just take more work to clean her up. Navy ships get salt water in electrical components a lot of times. They need to be cleaned of al salt water and salt residue so cristilization does not start forming. Using warm fresh water and mild soap give all the components a thorough cleaning and the flush and rinse several time with fresh water. Then go through the drying process and afterwards the testing of all components. Replace bad components, most likely ESC'S and possibly the wireless unit and you'll be back up in no time.

Mine went into the pool and was there for a good 10 mins. I immediately took the top off, rinsed it in fresh water and then filled my Pelican case with rice and Phantom and put the rice everywhere I could with the top off. I left it in the rice for 5 days, adding more rice each day. After making sure there was no rice in the phantom, I put the cover back on, put in a different battery and everything worked fine. I turn it off then back on the the motors would not start this time. I had to get a new GPS, installed that and the motors started working again. After putting the props on for a test, one motor would not spin the prop, it would delay. I was worried as I was leaving for 3 weeks and wanted to take it with me. Luckily, I live in South Florida where Drone Nerds is located. After stopping by their shop, I showed them the problem and told them what happened and they said its was most likely the ESC. After purchasing a new ESC and Motor, I was able to catch my flight and. A simple solder of the new ESC and everything is back to flying again just like before. The only thing that I lost was the battery that went into the water, I couldn't get that battery to work again even after it was in rice.

Let it dry out really good and replace anything that isn't working and you'll be back in the air in no time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic