P2, Immersion RC 600mw, IOSDmini Install Location (Whats Best?)

Reaction score
Hello folks.. This is my first post, so I guess I should throw out a big hello to a great community..

I had recently purchased and flown the P2V+ for 1 week and just returned it for a partial credit towards the setup below because I hated the camera.... I have about a years worth of experience flying RC Helo's (Old Blade and TRex) over 8 years ago and I just caught the Arial imaging/video bug with the DGI drones...

I was hoping for a little advice if you all don't mind

I just received this setup...

P2 vers 2
H4-3d
Immersion RC 600mw TX
IOSD Mini
Plug and play cable for TX/IOSD Mini
Fat shark Antennas
Black Pearl 7ch Rx/Monitor

And I am on the fence regarding installation placement of the components.

After reading numerous threads and watching many videos I understand the limitations of the different installs.

I guess my choices are the following...

1. Install Gimbal Anti Interference board, IOSD, and CanBus inside the phantom. TX outside...

Good points are.. Clean, Less FPV interference since Video TX is further away from IOSD and Anti Interference Board.

Bad points are.. IOSD Heat and not enough IOSD ventilation. Have to uncap the P2 to update or use the IOSD software.

2. Install Gimbal Anti Interference board Inside. CanBus, IOSD and Vid TX outside.

Good points... More room on the belly of the P2, since the Anti Int board is inside. More ventilation for the IOSD incase it heats up. Easy to update the IOSD and use the assistant software.

Bad Points... Possible Vid interference because IOSD and cables are close to the Vid TX. Not as clean of an install.

3. Everything on the outside

Good Points... Easier, everything is accessible,

Bad Points... Not as clean, not as much room on the belly, might need to adjust CG data because of displaced weight. Possible Vid Interference since everything is closer to the Vid TX.

Can you guys please give me some feedback on what option is the best and why...

Thanks JB

The interference board along iOSD can go inside the shell. Just make sure to check iOSD for upgrades before closing it up. I did mine a year ago and there haven't been any updates. Here's a video by Simon Newton on installing the interference board.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
This where I installed iOSD.
IMG_5551.jpg

The only thing on the outside will be the gimbal and the TX. There 's no problem with heat by putting both units inside the shell.

Reactions: 750r
The anti interference board is designed to go inside. It has screw holes which line up with the main board. Why would you put it outside?

If you want to put the vTX inside remember that you might one day need to change channels at short notice - perhaps whilst at a flying field. If it is not accessible to do this you may have a problem.

IOSD updates are very rare and are not mission critical anyway. I would not let access to the update port on this unit be a reason to keep it outside.

I mounted both on the inside. No problems with heat, TX module that gets warm is mounted next to vents. I have the Flytrew Live 3G on the outside.

Phantom Phreak...That's the cleanest install I have ever seen. Nicely done..

Thanks for all the support folks.. I have installed everything inside except the v/tx.

Looking foreword to flying it soon as I am waiting on an FPV Monitor mount for the Phantom controller.

Reactions: PhantomPhreak
Ohh one last question.. Kind of off topic, but figured I would ask.. My IRC TX came set to default of channel 1. Signal seems pretty good, but I do get the occasional flicker on the monitor when the Rx switches receivers and when I walk between objects.... My question is.. what would be the best TX channel to work on as a default? Again, right now it's set on channel 1.

JB

Ohh one last question.. Kind of off topic, but figured I would ask.. My IRC TX came set to default of channel 1. Signal seems pretty good, but I do get the occasional flicker on the monitor when the Rx switches receivers and when I walk between objects.... My question is.. what would be the best TX channel to work on as a default? Again, right now it's set on channel 1.

JB

Myself I tried them and Channel 1 seem to be the best on the BP 32 ch monitor.

I mounted both on the inside. No problems with heat, TX module that gets warm is mounted next to vents. I have the Flytrew Live 3G on the outside.

The problem i see with this setup is that in order to change channels you'd have to open the shell and hopefully can reach the switches.

Myself I tried them and Channel 1 seem to be the best on the BP 32 ch monitor.

The problem i see with this setup is that in order to change channels you'd have to open the shell and hopefully can reach the switches.
I can get to the switches through the hole for gimbal. Just the cable and pop the 4 dampers. I have had this setup for almost a year on 2 P2's and haven't needed to change channels (yet).

I can get to the switches through the hole for gimbal. Just the cable and the 4 dampers. I have had this setup for almost a year and haven't needed to change channels.

Well if you use a gimbal it's still a pain to remove it. This how I mounted mine and there isn't any need to remove the antenna to store it in my hardcase.
IMG_1554.jpg

Well if you use a gimbal it's still a pain to remove it. This how I mounted mine and there isn't any need to remove the antenna to store it in my hardcase.

I have had the gimbal off several times, about 2 mins round trip. Not a pain at all. I have the Flytrex mounted to the bottom so inside was the best choice for me. Fits fine in my backpack and hard case. I was hoping to fit the Flytrex inside as well, maybe next round.

[/QUOTE]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic