P1.5 with upgrade install?

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've got a P1 with a P2 bottom shell and the upgrade board and the canbus hack so I could use the miniOsd. And I'm using a TBS 5.8 tx on the bird and I'm trying to install the H3-3D gimbal. I also have the P2 signal hub v1.
Am I to use this hub? Or do I come off the upgrade board at the vtx header and go through the miniOsd and then to the vtx input?
Thanks
Brian

Hey Guys,

I've got a P1 with a P2 bottom shell and the upgrade board and the canbus hack so I could use the miniOsd. And I'm using a TBS 5.8 tx on the bird and I'm trying to install the H3-3D gimbal. I also have the P2 signal hub v1.
Am I to use this hub? Or do I come off the upgrade board at the vtx header and go through the miniOsd and then to the vtx input?
Thanks
Brian

You can do it either way. In order to use the DJI hub you need the AVL58 TX. Is that what you have?

H Jason, I'm using a Team Black Sheep 5.8 tx. The problem I have is the connection to the upgrade board. The tiny picture in the instructions is not clear enough to see the pinouts on that header that goes to the vtx.
Do you know is that plug called a molex? 6 pin?
Thank you
Brian

H Jason, I'm using a Team Black Sheep 5.8 tx. The problem I have is the connection to the upgrade board. The tiny picture in the instructions is not clear enough to see the pinouts on that header that goes to the vtx.
Thank you
Brian

Brian if you have wiring diagram for TBS TX take a photo of it and post it here as I could not fine anything online for it as there are three versions of it. You only need four wires total for the TX 2 for power (red/black) an 2 for video (yellow/black). The most common transmitters used are Immersion, Boscam and Flysight of which they make plug n play cables for. As in this photo of an Immersion 600mw TX:
Immersion 600mw wiring.jpg

Many of us mounted the mini iOSD and anti-interference modules inside the P2 which cut down on drag while in flight as you can see in the photos.
IMG_0016.jpg
IMG_1550.jpg
IMG_1551.jpg
IMG_2070.jpg

Hope these photo help and if you need a closer look click on the photo to enlarge it.

Thank you
Brian

Yes the sockets are molex. The cam socket is a six pin socket and work from left to right pin 1 is video, 2 is video ground, 3 is B+ power and 4 is B- ground.

Which camera are you using? Myself I have three GoPro's 3+ silver, black and 4 black. The latter two have
modified non-distorted (no fisheye) lens is a 5.4mm while the other is 3.97mm.

Hey Jason,
That must be a P2 board. The upgrade board is a little different see below. But what you said in your last msg is the info I was looking for. The pinouts on the upgrade board not the vtx, I already had that working with the 2d gimbal. What has changed is now I'm installing the H3-3D gimbal using the upgrade boards video out conection instead a usb wire coming out of the Gopro to the miniOSD.
If I zoom in on the new board picture, it looks like there are only three wires coming out of the cam header. And only three labels for the connection, signal, VCC, and ground. And it looks like the first spot from the left of the inset picture is signal and the second is empty, the third is VCC, and the forth ground.
My header is at 90 degrees to yours. If you had the open side of the header facing you would your pinouts still from the left?
My camera is a Gopro 3 black stock lens. I've got a ND4 filter for it but the H3-3D doesn't have a lot power. I'll have to rebalance when I use it.

Thanks SOOOO much for helping me out. I was really frustrated after all the work necessary to get the 2D gimbal installed, just to have it be unable to calibrate it. Thus the purchase the H3-3D.
Cheers
Brian

Attachments

• upgrade board.jpg
    upgrade board.jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 459
  • phantom1_hack6.jpg
    phantom1_hack6.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 587
Hey Jason,
That must be a P2 board. The upgrade board is a little different see below. But what you said in your last msg is the info I was looking for. The pinouts on the upgrade board not the vtx, I already had that working with the 2d gimbal. What has changed is now I'm installing the H3-3D gimbal using the upgrade boards video out conection instead a usb wire coming out of the Gopro to the miniOSD.
If I zoom in on the new board picture, it looks like there are only three wires coming out of the cam header. And only three labels for the connection, signal, VCC, and ground. And it looks like the first spot from the left of the inset picture is signal and the second is empty, the third is VCC, and the forth ground.
My header is at 90 degrees to yours. If you had the open side of the header facing you would your pinouts still from the left?
My camera is a Gopro 3 black stock lens. I've got a ND4 filter for it but the H3-3D doesn't have a lot power. I'll have to rebalance when I use it.

Thanks SOOOO much for helping me out. I was really frustrated after all the work necessary to get the 2D gimbal installed, just to have it be unable to calibrate it. Thus the purchase the H3-3D.
Cheers
Brian

What controller frequency are you using with that board?

Hey Jason,

I'm using the stock controller, the SR6 tx.
I'm wondering if I can check the pinouts on that 6 pin molex for vid out on the upgrade board.
Cheers
Brian

Hey Jason,

I'm using the stock controller, the SR6 tx.
I'm wondering if I can check the pinouts on that 6 pin molex for vid out on the upgrade board.
Cheers
Brian

Look at post #5 and you'll the pin out for video/power. The post # are right over the reply button.

Last edited:
Look at post #5 and you'll the pin out for video/power. The post # are right over the reply button.
Yes I saw that, but I thought that was for the P2 board. Do you know they are the same pinouts as the upgrade board? With my header being 90 degrees to the P2 board I don't know that they are the same. And you are using 4 wires and the upgrade instructions only mention 3 wires.
Thank You
Brian

Yes I saw that, but I thought that was for the P2 board. Do you know they are the same pinouts as the upgrade board? With my header being 90 degrees to the P2 board I don't know that they are the same. And you are using 4 wires and the upgrade instructions only mention 3 wires.
Thank You
Brian

More then likely they are the same since the video off the 8 pin zenmuse cable.

Well, thanks to your help Jason, I was able to get everything working. The one problem I have is adjusting the gimbal pitch speed. It has no dampening. Do you know what software to use to adjust the gimbal?
I tried the assistant 2.20 and 2.40 and the Zenmuse assistant, but none of those will affect the pitch speed.
All I need is to figure that out and get some kind of mount for my Black Pearl monitor. Do you know of any mounts that will allow the monitor to be folded down?
I looked at Shapeways and Thingiverse. I saw some good mounts, but they all looked like they wouldn't fold with the monitor mounted. I'd like it to be able to fit in the backpack folded. The black Pearl has a 1/4" threaded hole for tripod.
Thanks
Brian

Well, thanks to your help Jason, I was able to get everything working. The one problem I have is adjusting the gimbal pitch speed. It has no dampening. Do you know what software to use to adjust the gimbal?
I tried the assistant 2.20 and 2.40 and the Zenmuse assistant, but none of those will affect the pitch speed.
All I need is to figure that out and get some kind of mount for my Black Pearl monitor. Do you know of any mounts that will allow the monitor to be folded down?
I looked at Shapeways and Thingiverse. I saw some good mounts, but they all looked like they wouldn't fold with the monitor mounted. I'd like it to be able to fit in the backpack folded. The black Pearl has a 1/4" threaded hole for tripod.
Thanks
Brian

Connect you P 1.5 to its software and see if the gimbal is listed in the upgrades. If it isn't then you'll have to log into DJI site for the software upgrade 1.0.0.12 for the H3-3D gimbal.
Upgrade Page_04.jpg

Hey Jason,

Should I be using the P2 assistant with this P1 upgrade board? Or does that pic say P2 because that is what you have plugged into it?
I have the Naza-M v2
upload_2016-11-23_17-34-7.png

But when I change the manual control speed for pitch (x1), it doesn't change the speed.
This is the upgrade screen it shows me
upload_2016-11-23_17-36-21.png

Is this the correct software to be using?
I can't find that 1.0.0.12 firmware on the DJI site.
Thank You
Brian

Hey Jason,

Should I be using the P2 assistant with this P1 upgrade board? Or does that pic say P2 because that is what you have plugged into it?
I have the Naza-M v2
View attachment 69271
But when I change the manual control speed for pitch (x1), it doesn't change the speed.
This is the upgrade screen it shows me
View attachment 69272

Is this the correct software to be using?
I can't find that 1.0.0.12 firmware on the DJI site.
Thank You
Brian

Have you logged into DJI or are you just looking at the download page?

I wasn't, but now I am and still can't find the firmware. I'm going to the H3-3D page and the only firmware there is Zenmuse Assistant 1.12. When I install it, it says it is version 1.4. That won't connect either.
Can you link me to the firmware?
upload_2016-11-24_10-17-29.png

Thanks SOOO Much
Brian

I wasn't, but now I am and still can't find the firmware. I'm going to the H3-3D page and the only firmware there is Zenmuse Assistant 1.12. When I install it, it says it is version 1.4. That won't connect either.
Can you link me to the firmware?
View attachment 69309
Thanks SOOO Much
Brian

Which controller are you using? For the P2 i'm using the NDJ6 controller with tilt control wheel on the upper right corner. An trying to set the software tilt speed is useless as the X1 wheel controls the tilt speed. Of course the big difference is in both the machine and software for a P2.

Jason,
I've got the SR6 stock Phantom 1 controller with the tilt control on a lever on the lower back of the controller.
With the cheap 2d gimbal I was using the output from the Naza to control tilt and I could adjust the dampening.
There's gotta be a way of doing this.
Thanks
Brian
sr6 front.jpg
sr6 rear.jpg
sr6 front.jpg

Jason,
I've got the SR6 stock Phantom 1 controller with the tilt control on a lever on the lower back of the controller.
With the cheap 2d gimbal I was using the output from the Naza to control tilt and I could adjust the dampening.
There's gotta be a way of doing this.
Thanks
BrianView attachment 69377 View attachment 69378 View attachment 69377

Since the P1.5 uses the same frequency of 2.4GHz you could upgrade to the NDJ6 and pair it to your bird which will give you more control over tilt speed. The faster you move the wheel the faster the tilt and vice-versa.

The retail cost is $95.00USD but you be able to find one online for less. It has a builtin battery pack and can be charged off your computer using the USB mini cable.

I had modified my DJ6 (old unit) with a variable pot to control the cameras tilt as the lever on the back was not the smoothest. Later I decided to upgrade to NDJ6 which made it much easier to operate.

Just curious why people spend so much time and money in a older phantom that will never be as good as a newer phantom that they don't have to dump a ton more money into...is it just for the fun of doing it and seeing what your can do with an old bird?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.