Overview of AeroScope, a New DJI System to Track and Identify Drones

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a connection, you just missed it.
It was a connection that had nothing to do with what AeroScope is doing.

It's good to be concerned over apps installed on mobile devices, especially Android devices. But that's a completely different topic altogether,

Reactions: sar104
At the moment I can drive my car without being on radar and all my information displayed.

So when you are flying legally every knows your personal information? No. So when you are flying illegally in a NFZ everyone knows your personal information? No. When you are driving your car a police office can't simply input your take and have all of your personal information? Yes, they can.

Aerospace does not automatically give out any personal information. A warrant from a court would be needed to be submitted to DJI for this information. When you are driving your vehicle, any law enforcement officer can obtain your personal information just by running your tag.

Reactions: sar104
And police cars now have cameras that automatically scan tags. If tag shows up as stolen or the owner has an outstanding warrant, the system will notify the officer. And if you drive on any highway that charges a toll, your location has just been tracked.

So when you are flying legally every knows your personal information? No. So when you are flying illegally in a NFZ everyone knows your personal information? No. When you are driving your car a police office can't simply input your take and have all of your personal information? Yes, they can.

Aerospace does not automatically give out any personal information. A warrant from a court would be needed to be submitted to DJI for this information. When you are driving your vehicle, any law enforcement officer can obtain your personal information just by running your tag.
It’s just a point that some care about privacy and some don’t. That is the bottom line. The article stated: This concern is justified: in a previous article we saw how the law enforcement authorities convinced the FAA to put a no-fly zone over Standing Rock. Open data gathering could also be used for corporate espionage.

At this point I’m not convinced that if someone, surreptitiously or not, wants to gain access to everything there is to know about my vehicle and its systems too, they can.

They are computer controlled. They are GPS equipped. They are wifi capable. They connect to cell via Bluetooth.

I get reminders about where and when I parked to within a foot. I wake up in the morning to an email telling me my left rear tire has low pressure.

It’s all out there if someone wants it bad enough to get it.

The point is, I take the topic of this thread as interesting information, not a warning or revelation, because everything that anybody wanted to know about anybody else became available soon as we started using computers and linking them all together.

The simple reality is, as soon as ANY device has the capacity to connect to the internet, it’s reasonable to assume that said device is capable of (or vulnerable to) hacking and sharing everything that’s on board it.

That trail may lead from Aeroscope to drone to device to cell to provider to internet, but we’d be foolish to assume it’s not POSSIBLE.

Even if it wasn’t designed that way, I’d have a hard time believing it couldn’t be made to behave that way or manipulated as such.

Are they (DJI)? Not likely. Would they? Doubt it. Is it worth it for a hacker? No. Should we worry? I’m not.

Why? Because as mentioned, there are so many things we DON’T know, it’s useless to worry about what we do.

Remember when Apple was outed for tracking and saving recently mapped locations and the world went crazy for a few days? Now who cares as much I wonder...

I believe that they release this info (on Aerospace) so people can use it for benefit, or so that users can know its being used. Either way, any time info like this is released, it does one of two things:

Empowers us with the knowledge,

Humbles us with the realization of how little knowledge we really have.

e1b6ff994ba16793af1962e0db65ca40.jpg

Fixed it.

The simple reality is, as soon as ANY device has the capacity to connect to the internet, it’s reasonable to assume that said device is capable of (or vulnerable to) hacking and sharing everything that’s on board it.

That trail may lead from Aeroscope to drone to device to cell to provider to internet, but we’d be foolish to assume it’s not POSSIBLE.

Even if it wasn’t designed that way, I’d have a hard time believing it couldn’t be made to behave that way or manipulated as such.

Are they (DJI)? Not likely. Would they? Doubt it. Is it worth it for a hacker? No. Should we worry? I’m not.

Why? Because as mentioned, there are so many things we DON’T know, it’s useless to worry about what we do.

Remember when Apple was outed for tracking and saving recently mapped locations and the world went crazy for a few days? Now who cares as much I wonder...

I believe that they release this info (on Aerospace) so people can use it for benefit, or so that users can know its being used. Either way, any time info like this is released, it does one of two things:

Empowers us with the knowledge,

Humbles us with the realization of how little knowledge we really have.
Knowledge is great and knowledge is power. Wisdom is the ability to use knowledge. With all that power(knowledge) and you don’t know how to handle it, you will blow yourself up.

In the last days people will grow in great knowledge and lack wisdom. Boom!

Enough of this , I’m going flying. Lol

Last edited:
Back to the original post, the linked article is good information. It seems to me that DJI is just acting to protect it's place in the market.
The bogie man *is* watching from the digital closet but he is not really interested in where you are flying your Phantom, broadly and simply he wants your SSN and credit card information.
If you use a digital device, it is vulnerable, if not today then it will be tomorrow. Thoughtful and informed paranoia is a good thing if it causes you to make your personal information more safe.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Not just a hacker, but the Chinese Govt...you do realize China is an adversary.
Yeah, I'd be worried too, given they already own 1/3 of your national debt and 3/4 of US businesses get their goods manufactured and screwdrivered there....
Seriously.... why on earth do you think the Chinese Government would be interested in anyone's, including your flight data? That really is 1950's 'reds-under-the-bed' McCarthyism paranoia. I'd be far more worried if some western governments captured everyone's emails.... oh, hold on....

Reactions: Loz and Meta4
It’s just a point that some care about privacy and some don’t. That is the bottom line. The article stated: This concern is justified: in a previous article we saw how the law enforcement authorities convinced the FAA to put a no-fly zone over Standing Rock. Open data gathering could also be used for corporate espionage.

However, it's not open data. Could anything at any time be used against anyone? Yes. However, it's still nothing like access to personal info from a vehicle as you mentioned. Most states sell your DMV info to anyone that wants to pay for it. I can send money to the DMV and get a long list of vehicles, their owners, the owners addresses and even their phone numbers if they wrote them down. You don't need to have done anything with your vehicle. In the case of Aeroscope, a court order/.warrant is needed to get the info from DJI. This is true of _any_ information you have given to _any_ company or agency.

Well on balance I'm not overly concerned with information, if any, that is being mined by DJI by whatever means is currently out there as the bulk of my flying is harmless and no where near any sensitive areas. Of more concern is the fact that someone hacked the wife's credit card and booked some flights to Malaysia and the fact that my internet surfing habits are popping up on this forum, Facebook and elsewhere. That bothers me somewhat and there is nothing I can do about it.
There is plenty you can do about it... go into your google account and turn that crap off (location history, browsing history, etc). I figured that out years ago, and quit using google. Duckduckgo.com is wayyyy better, loads faster and doesn't track search inquiries.

Yeah, i know, "what does this have to do with the topic at hand?" (Just had to throw that in before mr smartmouth comes back on me)

There is plenty you can do about it... go into your google account and turn that crap off (location history, browsing history, etc). I figured that out years ago, and quit using google. Duckduckgo.com is wayyyy better, loads faster and doesn't track search inquiries.

Yeah, i know, "what does this have to do with the topic at hand?" (Just had to throw that in before mr smartmouth comes back on me)

...or, is sliding that little on-screen simulated switch nothing more than a “placebo effect”?!

I made the little slider go from green to grey. I must be safely protected now! [emoji6]

Use it or don’t. Fly it or don’t. Own it or don’t. Be tracked by a trackable device, or get rid of it. I’ll be confident that I’m not vulnerable if I’m ever completely off the grid, and even that’s not easy.

Until then, I accept the risks inherent with enjoying the hobby, the convenience, the assurances, or whatever else I can get out of the subject at hand.

And by that I mean I’ll fly it knowing the risks, even given this Aerospace information, until I’m not happy about it and then I’ll stop flying it because I don’t think there is anything else practical I can do about it.

There was a connection, you just missed it.
Yeah, I'd be worried too, given they already own 1/3 of your national debt and 3/4 of US businesses get their goods manufactured and screwdrivered there....
Seriously.... why on earth do you think the Chinese Government would be interested in anyone's, including your flight data? That really is 1950's 'reds-under-the-bed' McCarthyism paranoia. I'd be far more worried if some western governments captured everyone's emails.... oh, hold on....
maybe the very same reason they hacked the US Govt personnel records database...they have already shown interest.

Looks good on paper, but things can get abused quickly. DJI knows how to make money and cover it’s butt. Hackers are going to make money changing the frequencies on DJI products. And life goes on.

I don’t think it’s easy to change the frequency.

The most Intriguing thread I’ve read on this forum yet. I just realized why...it’s got both of my favorite subjects intermingled; politics and aerial photography.

It’s easy to decipher the political leanings by the comments. Great stuff.

Now, really...can any harm be done to We The People by our little, two pound mag alloy & plastic bodied flying toys? Anyone who thinks that as long as you’re flying where you should and how you should that you shouldn’t be worried. A point that is continually attempting to be made here is that government involvement is not always the answer and is not always what guarantees to keep us “safer” and although they claim and make laws regarding our privacy - unless off the grid you have none. Zero. To be concerned and to push back doesn’t make anyone paranoid or a conspiracy theorist. It means they understand how incrementalism is used to slowly....very slowly heat up the water and before the frog knows it’s in boiling water it’s already dead. It’s the ONLY way the political left can rule the world. Unfortunately, for those of us who don’t want a world where everyone’s attitude is “oh well, it is what it is - what can you do about it” - that battle seems lost long ago.

It’s sad to me that it’s becoming clear that this hobby that I love that gives me a great feeling of peace and freedom (as flight does for many) will be ruined by lawmakers who have never logged a single hour of flight either manned or unmanned. All to keep us safer if they end it and absolutely to monitor us as they increasingly regulate it. Neither of which I look forward to albeit I believe inevitable because we’ve stupidly allowed incremental overreach to the point where it’s vastly ignored, accepted and from those who benefit from it, encouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub