Overview of AeroScope, a New DJI System to Track and Identify Drones

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bigger issue is, every single one of the posts in a thread like this (mine definitely included) and a million others can just as easily start with “I think”... and in the end, what does that really mean? Or matter?
There are some on here that do know areas of expertise, I’ve seen it, but this topic is part software coding, part information security among other areas of technical expertise...so I know for sure there are some here that are familiar with at least one of those areas

There are some on here that do know areas of expertise, I’ve seen it, but this topic is part software coding, part information security among other areas of technical expertise...so I know for sure there are some here that are familiar with at least one of those areas

For sure. A lot of people know a lot of things. I just don’t think anyone knows everything. And it’s what anyone doesn’t know that makes the difference.

On topic, DJI is releasing this info... sure there had been rumblings and white papers about it prior to this, but you can bet there was a lot of it happening before any of us knew anything.

And my point is that we’d be fools to believe there isn’t a whole lot more of that in the world.

No big deal really, when it comes to something like the flight records of my toy helicopter.

On the bigger scale, as long as my personal finances are protected by bank guarantees and my light switches still work, I can live with it. I just hope it doesn’t threaten my freedom or that of my children, but “hope” and a couple dollars will get me a coffee.

For sure. A lot of people know a lot of things. I just don’t think anyone knows everything. And it’s what anyone doesn’t know that makes the difference.

On topic, DJI is releasing this info... sure there had been rumblings and white papers about it prior to this, but you can bet there was a lot of it happening before any of us knew anything.

And my point is that we’d be fools to believe there isn’t a whole lot more of that in the world.

No big deal really, when it comes to something like the flight records of my toy helicopter.

On the bigger scale, as long as my personal finances are protected by bank guarantees and my light switches still work, I can live with it. I just hope it doesn’t threaten my freedom or that of my children, but “hope” and a couple dollars will get me a coffee.
I still haven’t figured out what the Chinese did or plan to do with data breach of millions US Govt personnel 25 years ago we just discovered 5 years ago? Bribery? Nothing? I just don’t believe they do such things for nothing.

There is a significant difference, they access your data Vice read an RF transponder code. Your data is not accessible on the drone but your photos, movies, personal stuff, banking...it’s a door into your mobile device not just your drone...that’s why you should be alarmed...transponders are not mandatory in aircraft unless you fly high altitude, or enter certain airspace...so why apply harder torules to and more intrusive measures to adrone.
You may have some specific knowledge around the technical components of the proposed scheme however from what I have seen in the public domain access to your mobile device isn’t proposed or needed. It would seem they will simply employ a wifi sniffer to collect telemetry data from the downlink to the controller for all AC within range of the receiving station.

Well this is interesting, I just learned last week from msinger, how to logout of the DJI GO app...I only logged in on first use of the app, never was prompted to log in again, had shut down all devices, and after he showed how to log out, I went and looked...I was still logged in...yet I had shut everything including tablet off...in light of this convo...that’s pretty interesting.
Well on balance I'm not overly concerned with information, if any, that is being mined by DJI by whatever means is currently out there as the bulk of my flying is harmless and no where near any sensitive areas. Of more concern is the fact that someone hacked the wife's credit card and booked some flights to Malaysia and the fact that my internet surfing habits are popping up on this forum, Facebook and elsewhere. That bothers me somewhat and there is nothing I can do about it.

You may have some specific knowledge around the technical components of the proposed scheme however from what I have seen in the public domain access to your mobile device isn’t proposed or needed. It would seem they will simply employ a wifi sniffer to collect telemetry data from the downlink to the controller for all AC within range of the receiving station.
I really wasn’t addressing any specific design of the proposed design. Much more generic as it relates to what we have right now. Open WiFi connection for control of drone, for the most part to a non dedicated mission computer (iPad, iPhone, Android tablet or phone) (except in case of pro+) in which case it is a dedicated device. Because probably most don’t have the pro+, a good amt of ppl probably use their everyday tablet that has personal data on it, of all types. Fundamental question, what protects that personal data from capture or exploitation through the DJI app by an outside entity? Banks put security and encryption galore into their online banking apps, what does the foreign communist country of China require its company DJI to do to secure your data?

Reactions: Newbieguy
I really wasn’t addressing any specific design of the proposed design. Much more generic as it relates to what we have right now. Open WiFi connection for control of drone, for the most part to a non dedicated mission computer (iPad, iPhone, Android tablet or phone) (except in case of pro+) in which case it is a dedicated device. Because probably most don’t have the pro+, a good amt of ppl probably use their everyday tablet that has personal data on it, of all types. Fundamental question, what protects that personal data from capture or exploitation through the DJI app by an outside entity? Banks put security and encryption galore into their online banking apps, what does the foreign communist country of China require its company DJI to do to secure your data?
You will probably find the AC control link is FAAST or another common RC protocol with FPV and downlink on wifi. As you might know, you can fly the phantoms absent any display device. There is no particular complexity, on iOS or Android, in preventing the GO app from performing any authorised connections.

The danger of jumping on forums and pretending to know stuff that you really don't is that it only works if everyone else is equally ignorant.
Well on balance I'm not overly concerned with information, if any, that is being mined by DJI by whatever means is currently out there as the bulk of my flying is harmless and no where near any sensitive areas. Of more concern is the fact that someone hacked the wife's credit card and booked some flights to Malaysia and the fact that my internet surfing habits are popping up on this forum, Facebook and elsewhere. That bothers me somewhat and there is nothing I can do about it.
lol, ya there is something you can do about it...but ...to some degree we all accept it. Maybe we just hope it won’t happen to us. After all you or I could just unplug right? Problem solved...but, We don’t though.

All those free apps we download, we give open permissions for them to access our contacts, our phone, make calls, receive calls, our photos, our files...because...the app is cool...and that my friend is how they get us...we invite them in.

You will probably find the AC control link is FAAST or another common RC protocol with FPV and downlink on wifi. As you might know, you can fly the phantoms absent any display device. There is no particular complexity, on iOS or Android, in preventing the GO app from performing any authorised connections.
Ya I didn’t think about the phantom in that way, flying it like an RC without using the App GUI...though I’ve done all my short time flying the Phantom pretty much manually, not yet using the autonomous flight capabilities of Active Track, Draw, etc...the only real things Ive done autonomously is auto take off and RTH to land. And reading your comment, I realize I do spend a good amt of time not looking at the GUI at all. I do use it for SA info like battery power, altitude, and orientation when it’s too far away to tell

lol, ya there is something you can do about it...but ...to some degree we all accept it. Maybe we just hope it won’t happen to us. After all you or I could just unplug right? Problem solved...but, We don’t though.

All those free apps we download, we give open permissions for them to access our contacts, our phone, make calls, receive calls, our photos, our files...because...the app is cool...and that my friend is how they get us...we invite them in.
In an earlier life when we were paid a salary in cash and we had access to bricks and mortar facilities, it wasn't a problem. These days, my nearest bank is over 30 klms away, the shops I used to frequent don't exist anymore and I'm essentially forced to use online services to get on with my life. Opting out is not really an option as the savvy bill providers charge you a fee for regular mail billing, I don't have a letter box due to my remote location so I'm snookered there as well.
As for apps I only have a few and 50% of them are related to flying my drone. A flying camera is the least of my concerns regarding being hacked.

In an earlier life when we were paid a salary in cash and we had access to bricks and mortar facilities, it wasn't a problem. These days, my nearest bank is over 30 klms away, the shops I used to frequent don't exist anymore and I'm essentially forced to use online services to get on with my life. Opting out is not really an option as the savvy bill providers charge you a fee for regular mail billing, I don't have a letter box due to my remote location so I'm snookered there as well.
As for apps I only have a few and 50% of them are related to flying my drone. A flying camera is the least of my concerns regarding being hacked.
I laffed out loud reading this post, the phrasing is great..Tevek where are you?

I laffed out loud reading this post, the phrasing is great..Tevek where are you?
Down the bottom of the south west in Western Australia bordering on banjo and three legged dog country. Only two types of music - Country and Western. No letter boxes but we have flush toilets and electricity and the rubbish bins are randomly collected whether we like it or not.

Down the bottom of the south west in Western Australia bordering on banjo and three legged dog country. Only two types of music - Country and Western. No letter boxes but we have flush toilets and electricity and the rubbish bins are randomly collected whether we like it or not.
Ya , lol, love how you phrase things adds a hint of light hearted humor to the discussion, which I love a person who doesn’t take themselves too seriously.

Reactions: THECaptainKirk

None of that has anything to do with AeroScope. It's listening for radio traffic between a DJI AC and it's RC.

No

Not really talking abt aero scope per se...more or less talking abt current DJI capability to access your data..it’s why the US Army banned DJI. Now this aero scope takes it a step further with live tracking..
The thread topic was about AeroScope...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4