Overview of AeroScope, a New DJI System to Track and Identify Drones

Status
Not open for further replies.
No
pzv5j7l.jpg

That's not how AeroScope works. All it's doing is to listen in on radio traffic between a DJI AC and it's RC. From that data stream, it can get the registration number, location, heading, and speed. This lets airports know about sUAV activity in their area. If a helicopter is flying in or out an airport, the ATC can let the pilot know that there are drones flying and where they are. That avoids situations where the drone was flying legally and did not have enough notice to get out of the way of the helicopter.

AeroScope will work whether or not you update your drone. There's nothing to opt in or opt out of.
Not really talking abt aero scope per se...more or less talking abt current DJI capability to access your data..it’s why the US Army banned DJI. Now this aero scope takes it a step further with live tracking..

It’s not that bad really, plus now they have the “sports” pilot rating for light aircraft that they back off on most of the harder regulations, like yearly medical etc...a lot of older pilots move to that class. Much cheaper way to fly...or keep flying

I don't think it's bad at all. But it's still far more than the cursory requirements placed on UAV operations, which is why it seems unreasonable to object to UAV flights being subjected to similar tracking, especially around airports.

What does the app sharing (or not sharing) data with DJI have to do with the topic of the thread?
It’s a level of operational security. Some customers are concerned with that...very much. With aircraft we use transponders. We don’t provide a connection into our data.

If the intent of the technology, as outlined in the link, is to provide additional compliance around airports and other sensitive areas, then so be it. I guess if there continue to be incidents involving irresponsible drone pilots out there, we get what we deserve despite some of the hysterical media reports out there. Whether or not the technology is expanded for use by local authorities in our towns remains to be seen. Our national aviation authority, CASA, is currently receiving submissions WRT regulations governing the use of drones and in mine I highlighted the concern that whilst DJI is the dominant highend consumer product out there, their numbers are dwarfed by the thousands of quads, helos, planes and gliders that are flogged daily in the shopping centres and no amount of regulation or enforcement is going to have an appreciable effect on how these end users will fly them. Why spend over $1000 when you can spend $200 and create even more chaos. As for non DJI companies joining the AeroScope bandwagon and probably paying some sort of compliance fee, I doubt it.

Reactions: Numone
Not really talking abt aero scope per se...more or less talking abt current DJI capability to access your data..it’s why the US Army banned DJI. Now this aero scope takes it a step further with live tracking..
Are you sure that DJI can access your flight data?
I'm pretty sure they can't access mine unless I choose to synch my flight records and share them.
I think the army issue was more concerned with the potential for a hacker to be able to take control of a drone from the operator.

I don't think it's bad at all. But it's still far more than the cursory requirements placed on UAV operations, which is why it seems unreasonable to object to UAV flights being subjected to similar tracking, especially around airports.
There is a significant difference, they access your data Vice read an RF transponder code. Your data is not accessible on the drone but your photos, movies, personal stuff, banking...it’s a door into your mobile device not just your drone...that’s why you should be alarmed...transponders are not mandatory in aircraft unless you fly high altitude, or enter certain airspace...so why apply harder torules to and more intrusive measures to adrone.

I'm pretty sure they can't access mine unless I choose to synch my flight records and share them.
I think the army issue was more concerned with the potential for a hacker to be able to take control of a drone from the operator.
Not just a hacker, but the Chinese Govt...you do realize China is an adversary.

Personally I’m not worried about it, I don’t intentionally fly where I shouldn’t,

That. If you’re never doing anything you shouldn’t... then there’s never anything to worry about.

Ya ya... privacy and all that. That’s gone. Privacy is an illusion until the breach of it is exposed (cue Equifax et al)...

Unless LE happens to be watching, in which case your license plate gives away all that information.

Or, in essence, this technology is really no different than automatic licence plate readers. The one we have in Ottawa now is so busy we just ordered another one... reading 5000 plates an hour.

THAT right there is the one question I would LOVE the right answer to. I never sync them, only because I just don’t. But I’m expecting that one day I’ll have to, I can’t see my entire drone life being incident free.

In fact I have to send mine in, I’m still having stability issues and it’s under insurance/warranty. I’m quite certain that when it comes back it will either be synced, FW updated, both, or I’ll get a refurb and they have all my flight info on my old bird.

I’m not saying I care, I’d just like to know.

Can’t get into details, but none of the links used by DJI are secure, they can access way more than your telemetry data...what is your controller connected to? A cell phone, a tablet...a pc. What else do you use those devices for? Banking? Social Networking? Doctors appt? Etc.
The Chinese Govt has already hacked us numerous times...millions affected. You should be concerned, understand if you’re not. Some of us can’t allow that access.

Not just a hacker, but the Chinese Govt...you do realize China is an adversary.
I purposely used the word hacker and their nationality doesn't matter.
The US Army didn't spell out their concerns in detail so we have to guess a bit for ourselves.
I think their concerns were that a hostile hacker could take control of the drone rather than they were concerned that the drone's flight data would be shared with China.
It's pretty easy to ensure that flight data doesn't go anywhere.
The Phantom and controller can only transmit a few kilometres. The data is stored by the app and easily deleted.

I always thought the same as the only way DJI could see my data was for me to sync my records or share photos and videos via their Skypixel feature. However when I was having issues with Litchi Pano mode a while back, their reply to me was to switch my device to airplane mode as the communication from the drone to the DJI server during pano mode may have been corrupting the flight. I did as they suggested and it made no difference, and the issue remained until a further SW update cured it. I suspect I was being fobbed off and couldn't understand how there would be any communication between my drone or device as I fly 99% of the time with no internet or mobile coverage.

You should be concerned, understand if you’re not. Some of us can’t allow that access.

The catch with hacking is that NONE of us wants to be, and whether some of us can or can’t allow it to happen to us is well beyond our control.

I’m far more worried about North Korea’s cyber progress than I am their nuclear ambitions.

I never willingly consented to my bank or my Equifax or my power company or Passport Canada putting every single thing there ever was to know about me on a computer, but it’s there.

And it’s hackable.

And there is not a thing that any amount of concern, worry or apprehensiveness on my part that is going to change about that. This is something we should have foreseen a LONG time ago if we had any hope of curtailing it.

I always thought the same as the only way DJI could see my data was for me to sync my records or share photos and videos via their Skypixel feature. However when I was having issues with Litchi Pano mode a while back, their reply to me was to switch my device to airplane mode as the communication from the drone to the DJI server during pano mode may have been corrupting the flight. I did as they suggested and it made no difference, and the issue remained until a further SW update cured it. I suspect I was being fobbed off and couldn't understand how there would be any communication between my drone or device as I fly 99% of the time with no internet or mobile coverage.
Well this is interesting, I just learned last week from msinger, how to logout of the DJI GO app...I only logged in on first use of the app, never was prompted to log in again, had shut down all devices, and after he showed how to log out, I went and looked...I was still logged in...yet I had shut everything including tablet off...in light of this convo...that’s pretty interesting.

There is a significant difference, they access your data Vice read an RF transponder code. Your data is not accessible on the drone but your photos, movies, personal stuff, banking...it’s a door into your mobile device not just your drone...that’s why you should be alarmed...transponders are not mandatory in aircraft unless you fly high altitude, or enter certain airspace...so why apply harder torules to and more intrusive measures to adrone.

The radio connection between the aircraft and the RC, that is monitored by this system and is the subject of this discussion, certainly does not transmit your "photos, movies, personal stuff, banking..." and is not in any way a "door into your mobile device". You are suffering from rampant paranoia.

Reactions: Loz
I purposely used the word hacker and their nationality doesn't matter.
The US Army didn't spell out their concerns in detail so we have to guess a bit for ourselves.
I think their concerns were that a hostile hacker could take control of the drone rather than they were concerned that the drone's flight data would be shared with China.
It's pretty easy to ensure that flight data doesn't go anywhere.
The Phantom and controller can only transmit a few kilometres. The data is stored by the app and easily deleted.
Guy..I’m US Army

I really think it’s pretty safe to say that we don’t really have the faintest idea who knows what about what we do when we are flying, before, during and after.

Bold assertion, but prove me wrong.

Like my dad would say... fly it or don’t.

I really think it’s pretty safe to say that we don’t really have the faintest who knows what about what we do when we are flying, before, during and after.

Bold assertion, but prove me wrong.

Like my dad would say... fly it or don’t.
Ya I like to believe along those same lines, but I also know there are clearly those who want to know...some for noble legit reasons...others for not so legit or noble reasons

Ya I like to believe along those same lines, but I also know there are clearly those who want to know...some for noble legit reasons...others for not so legit or noble reasons

The bigger issue is, every single one of the posts in a thread like this (mine definitely included) and a million others can just as easily start with “I think”... and in the end, what does that really mean? Or matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures