- Out of Range Test -

nhoover said:
Once you understand all the modes by reading, you have to try them out for real. Of course you don't test RTH by flying 5000' away the first time. You make sure you have >6 satellites and then trigger RTH via the switch or turning off the RC from a distance of say 50' at 5' altitude. Then try it at 100' altitude. Then try it at 500' away, etc. Personally in 200 flights, I have triggered RTH by flying out of range (up to nearly 10,000' away) dozens of times and it has never ever failed. I've tested it from high up too. It can be nerve-wracking a little, especially if you flew downwind - it seems to take forever to get back, but always does. I have flown out of FPV range by thousands of feet (with the P2V), and RTH has always worked.Take it slow and break down each thing, learn, write everything in your log, and enjoy.

I can't help but wonder where the fine line is and how easy it may be to get caught in it.

encouraging to hear - has given me something to think about.

Davekyn said:
Thanks for the response guys. Much appreciated.

I did a test and think it was starting to cut out at 400m - Although I waited for the clouds to break up, the conditions where windy and I was only picking up 7 sats with 8 at best, but dropping between 6-7 sats....
OK stop. Your stressing about 2 things:
1. Testing RTH and will it work?
2. Sending the bird out, who knows how far, to invoke RTH.
You'll have less stress if you actually SEE RTH work reliably first. And it is reliable and it does work very well. I know it seems counter intuitive to turn off the transmitter, and there might be a slight "pucker factor" the first time you do it :) , but think about it, the Phantom doesn't know the difference how it loses the the control signal and it will respond the same way. So why not first do it only 100' away and watch it work?! In fact do it several times and Stress #1 will go away and then you'll be more comfortable with a long distance loss of signal test. In fact, since everyone has read and followed the DJI manuals received with each Phantom Plus (tongue planted firmly in cheek), in the supplied Phantom 2 Vision+ Pilot Training Guide, last page, it instructs us to test RTH by.... wait for it... turning off the Transmitter! As it instructs, make sure you have a good GPS lock. In my opinion and experience always take off with more than 6 sats. 8+ sats is a Good Thing. Your mileage might vary. The guide even tells you how to regain control using the S1 switch (of course turn the transmitter back on first!). Also remember that if your altitude is less than 20m/66ft it will climb to that first before heading home. That sudden altitude gain can be another pucker factor if you forget. :)
Have fun!

Yep Yep – RTH planned first thing in the morning – and wait for it -> I’ve been reading that manual – LOL ... just kidding, thanks for pointing out those pages. Your insights regarding the sats very helpful.
I was reluctant with 7 sats for a long flight as the number was dropping to 6 more often than 8 – the weather was also getting worse. Living on the coast is new to me – as is checking the weather for good flights. I can see there is a lot to learn with all this ...

Absolutely enjoying the process. TY

your right - taking our the phantom training guide each time as well. After the RTH it's time to learn the moves.

Davekyn said:
lol - Righto.

Hey - my wife got a link to Australian proposed drone laws. Does anyone know that weight of the DJI Phantom 2 vision plus complete with its camera and Gimbel?

Weight (Battery & Propellers Included) 1284g according to the DJI website.

I had a look to under the proposed updates and it won't affect the vision2+

I think I have flown "out of range" on 80% of my flights. If you set it up right, it just comes back home. Once the screen says 'Returning home" you will be able to re connect using the right side toggle. Losing connection is just part of the fun. The one time this didn't work was because I was flying with 30mph winds all around me and it couldn't find its way home against the wind. Don't fly in windy conditions!

+1
And if it's 15mph at ground level, it could easily be double that at 200' - and then your in trouble!

TeeJayN said:
+1
And if it's 15mph at ground level, it could easily be double that at 200' - and then your in trouble!
That is when you will have wished you switched to NAZA mode. Flip the S2 to HL, pull right stick full down and pray!

TeeJayN said:
+1
That is when you will have wished you switched to NAZA mode. Flip the S2 to HL, pull right stick full down and pray!

Another thing about RTH. Better make sure you have good connections to satellites. at least 6 before you turn off your controller. Right? In my yard where i have been doing test flights. I don't get good satellite connections until I'm airborne and up about at least 50 ft and it's a crap shoot as to how the drone will fly or hover until I connect to at least 6.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4