- Out of Range Test -

Reaction score
Since receiving my DJI, I have since updated all the components and had a few flights. I keep saying it and will have to watch I don't fly in really harsh conditions, but everyone comments on how well it flys in the wind.

Anyways - I'd like to ask anyone here ... how confident did you feel doing an out of range test?

Can you give me any tips to help me avoid loosing the drone? Obviously it's at my own risk - I understand that.

To be honest - I have not switched off the RC unit to test that.

Lets say it works - I send it out of range and it comes back.

When it's back in range, will my FPV on screen come back?

...and do I simply just flick the S1 switch all the way down and back up once to regain manual control?

I will be flying in GPS mode with plenty of sats and everything will be full charged - have direct line of sight ... anything else I need to consider?

oh yea - only other thing I did - was choose FCC in softwareassist (i think it was) - and adjusted the screw on the RC.

TIA

Why would you do that?
There is a good chance that it will technically work, but your battery life will be completely gone by the time it's on it's way back.
Are you flying past 4000 feet on your daily flight plans?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Because my friend has done it several times with his. He claims that with all systems in check - flight sequence carried our properly - good flying conditions - that after doing it a few times, that he feels much more comfortable. He also claims he had 50% battery life when it returned. I like to know first hand about these fail safe claims. He tested after to check the FCC change he made.

I want to know my limits.

It would appear many people have tested this feature -

Thanks all the same. I don't mind admitting I feel apprehensive - BUT - if I have "everything" "settings checked" updated fully - fully charged, strong signals, good weather - I think there is a good chance that it will do as its stated - COME BACK HOME!

Surely it is good practice to know ones limits?

Davekyn said:
When it's back in range, will my FPV on screen come back?

Eventually it will. I lost it on a flight back from 3,000ft away and it dropped out for a long time but by the time it was within 400ft of me it had reconnected its WiFi automatically and had started streaming FPV without me touching the app.

No need to send it off into the distance to test. Simply send it out 100 feet in an open area without trees or obstacles, up 50 feet and switch of the Tx. That will perfectly simulate the loss of signal you'd get way out.
Just make sure you have GPS lock before you do it. You can then watch the whole RTH process or switch the TXx on and resume flying. And the whole time you'll have the FPV display on your screen.

I assume you are asking about flying out of range until you lose the control signal and a return to home is invoked? First, try it manually when you are nearby. Make sure you understand how to regain control before testing! Fly 100' away, and either turn off the controller (in Vision mode), or via S1 if you are in NAZA mode (turning controller off works in NAZA mode too). You can allow it to come back and actually land, but I usually take over as it hovers down and land it manually.

I have to tell you I don't think I ever have a flight where I don't eventually wind up out of range and RTH is invoked. It has worked perfectly for me since Day 1.

Thanks for the response guys. Much appreciated.

I did a test and think it was starting to cut out at 400m - Although I waited for the clouds to break up, the conditions where windy and I was only picking up 7 sats with 8 at best, but dropping between 6-7 sats. I'm wondering if that effects distance at all. The screen started to blink around the 400 meter mark - will check in google and match it with the footage. I hear ya on that GPS lock before going anywhere. I even calibrated everything and check all else. I have another battery so going to try again.

I downloaded a free screen capture for my phone - (recordable free) was a bit of a process installing it first on the phone then hooking up too the pc to finalize installing. Not sure if it will interrupt the DJI app on my phone, but I would really love to have a record of the data as shown on phone. I'm not sure how they do it on youtube, but it's a good way to record flight data and have it showing in the corner of my vids -*good was to learn and get to know my drone in certain situations)

I think I will do just as you suggest meta4 - switch off the controller whilst its still close to me -

I'll upload some footage - I kind of get a bit anxious when it's a 50% battery life and I'm way up and out - so far all flights have been in windy condition and it dose seem to use more power coming back down that it does going out - (i'm just assuming - but it feels that way) It kind of takes longer to wheel it in - so atm - I'm kind of going to have to think more on that as I send it further out.

please excuse the lengthy posts - most times I need to think out loud is all.

I'd like to ask another question - but will try another fly - upload that one and then let you know what the CASA has been telling me - seems like I need $7000.00 dollars in certificates before I can think about making some pocket money with the local real estate agents - Who have asked about the footage my friend did of the local area. More on that later.

Once again - appreciate your responses.
Cheers.

I did a RTH test and it scared the **** out of me. I didn't know it was going to climb to 20 meters before it starts to descend and land automatically.

I have yet to turn the tx off for test. Still in vision mode at the moment. Tell me, does switching the S1 to the middle position and then to the top in vision mode regain control as well? Or is it only in Naza mode? Seemed to work for me in Vision mode? Idk

Yea bcass - I hear ya. I will be allowing for that Ascension. I'm still in the frigid stage with mine. So many variables. I'm attempting to keep records and taking note of how the drone handles in different settings, modes and conditions. I'm still in GPS mode and will be for some time I guess. Again - I'm still jumpy every time I go to fly.

Sorry Brettly - I can't say. Vision Mode? Is that meaning -> flying with the camera? I see there is a FPV mode in the software assist (i think it was) I have left that unticked for now. When the weather is good enough (VERY WINDY NOW) - I'll record my RTH and I'll just be in GPS mode flying with the DJI camera on - I'm yet to fully grasp the ground station.

My friend claims he simply flicks the S1 swtich from the top all the way to the bottom and then back to the top again, to gain manual control. Thats what I am going to attempt.

I think it's been said - just turn the transmitter back on????

ANYWAYS - here is my distance test:

Conditions where quite windy - I don't believe I have the wifi antenna up correctly and I wonder about the position of my phone - I'm going to try again and see if I can get close to 800m by altering the way I have my RC setup and also flying with better conditions - On either side of my backyard are to huge metal sheds - I'll be doing different tests in different places as well, however finding good areas without breaking tresspass laws is not so easy. I am doing my best to be responsible as I know there are many people out there who have a lot to gain, the tighter the laws become.

This link will take you to a page where you can easily set the radius of proposed flights:
http://www.freemaptools.com

Once there - find the image that looks like the one below and click on that:

Once on that page you should be able to play around with the map to search whatever area and then click on it to add a Radius - I find it useful when thinking about where I will go to fly and other things as well. You guys probably already know about it - just sharing is all - maybe you know a better one :)

Here is a screen shot I play with - it depics the range of my last distance test. 550m to a clutch of trees that became my marker after watching the camera footage and cross referencing with freemaps. I am sure I have calibrated the screw on the back of RC tranmitter correctly and without over tightening - I have also done changed to FCC in the software assistant ... therfore - I will have to do a number of tests before I get to worried about not hitting the 800m Mark.

YOUTUBE:
Here is the clip off that distance test:
http://youtu.be/Wpj6wJdi7nI

Brettly said:
I have yet to turn the tx off for test. Still in vision mode at the moment. Tell me, does switching the S1 to the middle position and then to the top in vision mode regain control as well? Or is it only in Naza mode? Seemed to work for me in Vision mode? Idk

Yes that is how you regain control in Vision mode too. I have read that sometimes just turning the transmitter back on regains control.

Dirty Bird said:
Yes that is how you regain control in Vision mode too. I have read that sometimes just turning the transmitter back on regains control.

Thanx for clarifying. I think I've read elsewhere that some think it doesn't do it in phantom mode,but it has worked for me a cpl of times.

lol - Righto.

Hey - my wife got a link to Australian proposed drone laws. Does anyone know that weight of the DJI Phantom 2 vision plus complete with its camera and Gimbel?

Once you understand all the modes by reading, you have to try them out for real. Of course you don't test RTH by flying 5000' away the first time. You make sure you have >6 satellites and then trigger RTH via the switch or turning off the RC from a distance of say 50' at 5' altitude. Then try it at 100' altitude. Then try it at 500' away, etc. Personally in 200 flights, I have triggered RTH by flying out of range (up to nearly 10,000' away) dozens of times and it has never ever failed. I've tested it from high up too. It can be nerve-wracking a little, especially if you flew downwind - it seems to take forever to get back, but always does. I have flown out of FPV range by thousands of feet (with the P2V), and RTH has always worked.Take it slow and break down each thing, learn, write everything in your log, and enjoy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4