Orange Beach Alabama Drone Ordinance

My local county sheriff just purchased two new Phantom fours for beach recue, know they are looking for someone to fly them
Why are not training their own staff in how to operate them? Albany County (NY) Sheriff's office bought Inspires for search and rescue and they had their own people trained.

For looking for drown people on the beach
That article covered more uses cases than. Like checking the extent of flooding, flying into an area of a chemical spill, etc.

Out where I live, the Sheriff's office is using Inspires with thermal imaging to locate lost hikers.

We're planning a trip to Gulf Shores in a month and learning of all these bans is very disappointing. Maybe I'm looking for a loophole here but is there any stretch of beach in that area that is permissible to fly, maybe just outside the Gulf Islands National Seashore? Such as Perdido Beach, Perdido Key, etc.?

What we can probably do better as a community is help educate cities about the benefits and work with them when they insist on more laws. In the situation presented by the OP, it is always best to just comply with an officer's instructions, then tackle the issue later with the appropriate entity. It rarely works to argue laws and jurisdiction with police as they are there to enforce the law, not decide whether it is fair or not. Show up at city council meetings when laws like this are discussed and present valid arguments in favor of more exceptions or less stringent laws. Cities are going to do what they know....and they know they don't want snoopers and things flying around disturbing other people. We should work to educate them on how we can meet the needs of everyone involved, and keep flying. We also need to face the fact that more laws are coming....it's inevitable.
Except that I resent having to justify my freedom to some Gov't agent in terms of how it is good for him. If I am not hurting anyone, leave me alone.

Reactions: benthinking08
I was not in a no fly zone.There are no condos there either.This was just open space.The officer claimed no one can fly a drone anywhere in the City of Orange Beach including your own property without a permit from the city.I am am AMA member and also have registered my crafts.I follow the FAA guidelines when flying.

Actually, if you were on “Public Beach Access” you were in fact on Alabama State Park property which is not permitted to fly either. Orange Beach has no public beach access points... Cotton Bayou, Romar, Alabama Point and First Shell access point are all part of the Alabama State Park system.

One of the reasons we didn't do an overnighter there when we were doing our redneck riviera vacation 5 years ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav