Airspace Regulations - Event Permission???

Reaction score
Hey all, just wanted to get some conversation rolling around what I heard from an event planner in South Florida (South Beach Miami to be specific) this week. So I have a video job filming an engagement proposal on Friday night at a rented out top floor of hotel on the beach. When asking the hotel (that has strict picture policy already) if I could fly the drone for a couple of minutes to get some shots of the couple, they said:

"The city requires a special event film permit and the operator needs to have an FAA license."

-I personally have never heard of a "special event film permit," however I am licensed under Part 107.
So, does this mean I need to do something else for an event permit? Has anyone ever heard of this???
I assumed I would just have to contact air traffic control to get permission as it is - and no the hotel is NOT within 5 miles of a major airport, however the B4UFly app is showing tons of little helipads around.

If anyone has a process they use to assure they are not breaking any rules before flying, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks all and happy flying!

Reaction score
Have you called the city and asked or looked up this information on their website? That might be a better way to find out right from the source. I'm guessing that certain permits might be needed to take commercial photos in that area.

Reactions: BigAl07

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Also to add to what @tcope already suggested...

If you're Part 107 already you should know that distance from the airport isn't a factor. You need to know what class of airspace the event is inside and then you are either good to go or you request an FAA Airspace Authorization/Waiver.

Last edited:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luismarcs