Orange Beach, AL "no drone" ordinance

Reaction score
Hi all, just thought I'd give a heads up to anyone planning to visit Orange Beach, Alabama, in the near future.

Things have gotten crazy enough that I usually check with the locals before I fly in any town I'm unfamiliar with. I contacted the City of Orange Beach Code Enforcement Officer to ask about flying my Phantom at the beach. Short answer is no. I'm pretty disappointed, but I do understand their reasoning to a degree.

The gentleman was very courteous and helpful. His reply is below:

Good Morning Mr. Amason,

Thank you for inquiring about the use of drones in our City. We are currently passing an ordinance that prohibits the use of drones on our coastal beaches. This ordinance will also limit and restricts usage in other areas of the City.

I’m sorry you wont be able to operate the drone at the beach location.

Also, if you haven’t done so…you may want check with the FAA. They have regulations and restrictions in place that will require you register all unmanned drones.

If have any other questions, please feel free to contact me and I will be glad to help!

"You cant fly your droooone...nah nah na nahhhh na !!!"
courtesy%20of%20Multiple%20Mayhem%20Mama.jpg

(sounds like what he's saying to me.)
PS - Don't forget, he'll be glad to point out more rules against flying your drone if you like.

He admits the ordinance isn't even passed yet...yet proceeds to assure you you cannot fly there.
If locals are allowed to pass willy nilly ordinances like this there are going to soon be a LOT of places you cant fly.

One less place I have on my bucket list

Last edited:
I grew up in OB. My parents still live there, and I can assure you that when I do go over to visit, I will be taking the Phantom along with me. I'm not saying I'm gonna go crazy with it and fly over tourists trying to enjoy themselves, but it will be going out on the boat with me.

I'm going to double check on this also. I haven't heard anything about it, but nor have I inquired about it. My mom works at City Hall, so I'll double check it and see if by chance she can send me a copy of the ordinance.

By chance do you have a name of the person that emailed you back? Sounds like a typical transplant that has moved down and now wants to make sure everyone adheres to not only the Local Laws that he or she and the rest of the transplants made up in their crazy minds, but would also like to point out the Federal Regs to someone who gives them enough courtesy to call ahead to check with them. As if you obviously don't know them yet?

Sorry for the rant, but what a DB! It's those type of people that have ruined what was once a hidden gem in the sand. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

As of right now you can still fly it from what I understand. I've been told that this new "local law" hasn't even reached the voting point yet. So as of right now, fly away, but just be extra mindful of the planes towing the banners.

Reactions: SGs
Also, bear in mind that I did receive a response from the Orange Beach police dept stating that flying was not allowed due to the ordinance. While the ordinance may not be in place yet, I wouldn't expect a warm and fuzzy encounter with the OBPD if they see you or receive any complaints.

When are these local counties going to comprehend they can't make up rules for what can and can not fly in the sky.

USA April 28 2016
On March 17, 2016, the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee of the United States Senate approved amendments to the most recent funding legislation for the Federal Aviation Administration (“FAA”), the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2016, that, among other things, appear to preempt to preempt local and state efforts to regulate the operation of unmanned aircraft systems (“UAS” or “drones”).

is there any update on the orange beach ordinance. I'm going this weekend and would like to fly new P4

The FAA makes the rules, not the local cops.

FAA... once in the air.

Cops enforce the rules on the ground.
If you can't fly from the ground in their jurisdiction... you can't fly (presumably).

Thanks. I'm also aware that the FAA has discouraged states and cities from trying to impose laws against drones, but would rather not have a run-in or controversy with the local cops...so if anyone knows the latest in Orange Beach, please let me know. Thanks.

Reactions: Nerosinfalo
Does anyone know if it's alright to fly down near Ft Morgan ? Headed down soon, would like to bring my P3P along.

I'm going over the 4th of July Holiday and I'm bringing my P4. I've been all over their city website and list of ordinances and there's nothing about drones or UAVs in either their existing nor proposed ordinances. If anyone finds something, please share a link.

Look for terms like

Remote Controlled
Remotely Piloted
R/C
Aircraft
Land Use is where you'll most likely find it.

As stated they can't control the airspace but they can make ordinances concerning take-off, landing, and all kinds of "Safety" rules that you would easily violate by simply firing up the motors and hovering.

Our county recently enacted some "County Land Use" ordinances that originally would have made it almost impossible to fly anywhere near County owned land. They asked me for some input and together we drafted a copy that allowed flight in most areas and most conditions and the exclusions made sense (sensitive areas require notification only and you can't fly over the area if there is an event going on or another group has "reserved" the area already (for instance Family Reunion, Birthday party etc).

Does anyone know if it's alright to fly down near Ft Morgan ? Headed down soon, would like to bring my P3P along.

Fine. Except, be careful not to fly over the Wildlife Refuge areas.

Gulf Shores is fine also.

Idiots, in Orange Beach like to fly and peek into floors of the condos.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
This situation is not new and has a long, legal precedent involving the FCC. Local ordinances have been passed restricting Amateur Radio operations, including radio towers. The FCC has prevailed as being the overall regulator of the 'airwaves'. My position is the FAA is the sole owner and regulator of the National Airspace System (NAS), not the local law enforcement. If you violate the FAA regulations, the FAA can, and have, sent local law enforcement to do the dirty work. I seriously doubt the FAA will get involved if you violate local regulations, for example, pull your sUAS certification. I request that the FAA make a stand protecting their/our 'turf', the NAS. The FCC has quashed a lot of local 'airwaves' infringements because of pressure from the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). What is needed is a strong community involvement, like this forum, and a strong voice in Washington D.C., similar to AOPA and ARRL.

I live in Gulf Shores and fly my P2+ and P3P in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach on a regular basis. The State Park officials have even allowed me use a closed off section of the beach to fly from. If you do fly in Orange Beach over water, I recommend calling Orange Beach Helicopter Tours ahead of time and let them know where and when you will be flying and your intended maximum altitude. I do this and they are very cooperative and adjust their altitude for that time slot accordingly. Otherwise, you may find yourself in a dangerous situation. They regularly fly below 200' over the beach and islands. I usually text them via their Facebook page and get a reply and confirmation within minutes.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1