on site compass calibration? self rotation

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
Im just wondering if you really do this trick , the onsite compass calibration or self rotation?

whats the difference between just putting the phantom on the ground and wait for the multiple green light flashing and the self rotation?

zx101 said:
Hi Guys.
Im just wondering if you really do this trick , the onsite compass calibration or self rotation?

whats the difference between just putting the phantom on the ground and wait for the multiple green light flashing and the self rotation?

Eh?.... I'm confused? (Which is not difficult to confuse me) - Are you saying what's the difference between plugging the Phantom in via USB and doing a calibration via Naza assist vs going out into the field and doing the compass dance outdoors etc?

The advanced (or basic) only calibrates the gyroscopes and accelerometers - it does give a readout of the raw and mod data of the compass but it cannot calibrate it since the compass module needs physical rotation to get it's magnetic 'bearing'.
I do a compass dance about once a fortnight or if I have moved location by a few hundred miles or if I get a compass error warning via the Phantoms LED's.
I would not trust any 'compass calibration' done via Naza assist while your Phantom is connected to your PC since the Phantom and therefore the compass module is usually sitting in a fairly magnetically hostile environment if in close proximity to PC towers, laptops, metal furniture etc.

So what you are talking about is the little quadcopter dance we all do on occasion.

You take your quad in hand
And spin it one time and round
Tip it nose-down so its pointing to the ground
Once more round until you get the green light
And that's what its all about.

Ooooooooooooooooo the ockey cokey
Your quad is okey dokey
Let's go flying rah rah rah

Ooops sorry I digress. Yes I do do it IF my Phantom is not flying right. I do not do it every time as a matter of course.
The compass is quite sensitive to alterations in terrain and location so it may be necessary depending on your flying location.

Jonathan

wbrownj said:
So what you are talking about is the little quadcopter dance we all do on occasion.

You take your quad in hand
And spin it one time and round
Tip it nose-down so its pointing to the ground
Once more round until you get the green light
And that's what its all about.

Ooooooooooooooooo the ockey cokey
Your quad is okey dokey
Let's go flying rah rah rah

Ooops sorry I digress. Yes I do do it IF my Phantom is not flying right. I do not do it every time as a matter of course.
The compass is quite sensitive to alterations in terrain and location so it may be necessary depending on your flying location.

Jonathan

thanks mate. my phantom is drifting in GPS mode. i should do this.

cheers!

There's a step missing from that. To activate compass calibration mode you have to flick the flight mode switch between GPS and Atti modes about 6 times until the Phantom's LED goes yellow. Then you can do the dance.

rilot said:
There's a step missing from that. To activate compass calibration mode you have to flick the flight mode switch between GPS and Atti modes about 6 times until the Phantom's LED goes yellow. Then you can do the dance.

yes i saw this in dji youtube chanel. thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl