Ok to fly right out of box

Reaction score
I have a phantom 4 pro being delivered this week. My first drone. I see some post about firmware updates. Do I have to update this before flying if it's not up to date. Or can I fly it with the firmware it comes with? I'm asking because of issues I see on here about updating problems and not being able to go back to older firmware. Thanks

Do I have to update this before flying if it's not up to date.
While I like to install the latest firmware when I get a new Phantom, it's completely optional. Just ignore the prompts to update the firmware in DJI GO if you don't want to update.

While I like to install the latest firmware when I get a new Phantom, it's completely optional. Just ignore the prompts to update the firmware in DJI GO if you don't want to update.
Thanks does that void warranty?

It probably won't... but it could. At least DJI could claim that it could. If there is a known problem, DJI corrects this in a firmware and can show that the user chose to ignore the update, they could very well state that any resulting problem was on the user.

It's doubtful, but it could happen.

It's better to wait a few days before updating to new firmware to see if there are any issues.

I would suggest not to update the FW until you know what you got and have good flying experience.

The P4 pro has been very stable for quite a while with no real issues needing firmware to correct them.
Most firmware updates this year have been trivial or even non-relevant.
It's a good idea to just get your Phantom flying first before complicating things with firmware updates that aren't going to do anything for you anyway.

"out of the box" ? Both the first Phantom 3 I received ( and then wrecked due to over-confidence) and its replacement wouldn't move ( the "camera tilt" knob was the only sign of life....!) until I down-loaded the materials from DJI.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl