Oh noooooo... my super-new drone is already gone.

Reaction score
I was flying my P4advanced today. At some point it was 400m away and once I pressed the RTH button it lost connection and never returned. I couldn't find it either. Very strong wind conditions. The log stated in the end the GPS connection was weak, just before I lost contact. I can't seem to open the attached file, I get weird characters so any advice on how to open this would be welcome... Gutted...

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-12-21_[15-47-57].txt
    2.3 MB · Views: 489
Reactions: Sixgun89
RTH in strong down winds conditions are not a good rule for flying a drone or even a Rc aircraft......with a low battery and that drone has to Fight hard to get home.....and it being cold with less flying time per battery ....its very easy to lose a RC plane or a Drone....Hope people here can help find out the real cause...when i flew rc planes...i had a guy that stood by to help when i was learning and He always told me after take off " to fly UP wind".....and i carried that "Up Wind" flights to my drone too.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
According to the log, it auto landed either in somebody's front yard or on top of somebody's roof - and it looks like a steep roof. You lost connection as it was landing, probably due to loss of LOS. I would look around and then if you don't see it, humbly knock on the door...

Good luck

Soooo... an RTH interrupted by insufficient battery capacity or- Prgm'd to land on LOS?

Reactions: Sixgun89
@koenbroker, look for your Mavic in the area marked in yellow below.

Location1.jpg

Location2.png

Thanks all so much for your comments and input. No luck so far but will knock on some doors soon. It's got to be somewhere.

A few questions:

Any insights on why this yaw and speed error originated, and if this would have caused the loss of control? Also, why do I got a weak GPS signal, and transfer from Sport to ATTI mode if there was a connection with 17-19 satellites?

Sorry, I'm still learning...

thanks!

Koen

Any insights on why this yaw and speed error originated, and if this would have caused the loss of control?
The cause is a puzzle.
Often they happen if you screw up the compass by launching from a steel or reinforced concrete surface, but usually that would show up soon after takeoff.
Yes ... it would be difficult or impossible to control with those problems.
Also, why do I got a weak GPS signal, and transfer from Sport to ATTI mode if there was a connection with 17-19 satellites?
There's nothing weak about the GPS signal. The drone was receiving plenty of sats loud can clear.
But a yaw error is a kind of compass error and the drone can't deal with conflicting data coming from the GPS and the compass.
Because you can't fly without the compass, the drone ignores GPS data in that situation.
If you saw something about weak GPS signal, it's a bad translation and the meaning was that the flight controller had no GPS signal (because it was ignoring GPS due to the compass/yaw error condition).

It would be worth uploading the flight record to DJI by clicking the cloud icon on the flight records page in the app.
Then contact DJI's online support, have a chat and tell them the story and see what they make of it.

I was flying my P4advanced today. At some point it was 400m away and once I pressed the RTH button it lost connection and never returned. I couldn't find it either. Very strong wind conditions. The log stated in the end the GPS connection was weak, just before I lost contact. I can't seem to open the attached file, I get weird characters so any advice on how to open this would be welcome... Gutted...

Good luck with all that! It' only 460 pages that won't take long to encrypt!

Reactions: koenbroker
Finders fee?? Seriously? Don’t get me wrong and your probably the same here- I’m happy to offer a reward depending on the circumstances but this sounds more like extortion.

I’m not sure what the laws are in your jurisdiction but where I am this would be theft by finding. You don’t get to keep something you find absent demonstrating that you have made reasonable attempts to locate the lawful owner. Take a gorilla with you to the meeting and make the peanut an offer he can’t understand.

Finders fee?? Seriously? Don’t get me wrong and your probably the same here- I’m happy to offer a reward depending on the circumstances but this sounds more like extortion.

I’m not sure what the laws are in your jurisdiction but where I am this would be theft by finding. You don’t get to keep something you find absent demonstrating that you have made reasonable attempts to locate the lawful owner. Take a gorilla with you to the meeting and make the peanut an offer he can’t understand.

It’s all sorted. I gave her some reward that she was happy with. I was going to pay something anyway, it’s just weird if demands are being made, right?

So glad you found it! That's great.
So here I am, a raw noob, jumping into this with both feet, taking chances I have no business taking, but so far, so good. Yesterday was a day not the best for flying, and I was trying to see if I could get by using DJI GO 4 on a cheap Android tablet. What a 3 ring circus! Because of all the mist at higher elevations, I soon realized I wasn't going to set any new distance records, and let it return to home after a few cancellations thereof. So it's on it's way back, the tablet locks up and all of a sudden I hear "Landing" and it's no where NEAR! So I hurry up and try to switch tablets. Looking back I have to admit this is all quite hysterical - both literally and humorously - fortunately, in truth and even in the back of my mind, I knew there was no reason for it to land as there was plenty of battery life left, and in fact, in another couple of minutes I heard the wonderful drone of the drone. I only have a bit over 3 hours flying time and think I need a good serving of some humble pie before I REALLY screw up! I have a P4A and keep trying mods to get further. The signal amps are on the way, but I've got to learn to take it easy! I love and am in total amazement of this tech, but I know that it's got to have it's limits, and I need to, if not quit pushing it, at least not to push it so hard. But I am getting addicted to the adrenalin rush of remote controlling an expensive toy that is out of sight. Oh, I forgot, I'm not supposed to say that! Merry Christmas and happy hovering to all!

I would have told her I was going to turn it in to the IRS.....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie