Offline 3D Mapping

Reaction score
Hello,

I was speaking to a gentleman today who has retired from the oil and gas industry. He wants to get into 3D mapping for oil and gas companies. However, where he would be working has no WiFi and no cell service. Is there any mapping software out there that works will no WiFi connection or cell service?

Also, he was saying that winds are typically 30-40 MPH where he is. Which make and model of UAV fares best in winds of that speed? I was thinking perhaps the M600?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Joe Ernster

Hi Joe, I think DroneDeploy will be useful to your friend. Using an M600 or maybe an Inspire would probably work. Here's my current process. Your mileage may vary.

Process to do remote DroneDeploy mission.

1. Log into DroneDeploy on a PC.

2. Create a mission

3. Start the tablet and force-stop any active DJI Go background process

4. Make sure the tablet is connected to the local wifi

5. Log onto DroneDeploy and make sure the mission shows up in the list.

6. Shut off the tablet

7. Go to the remote location to be mapped

8. Start the tablet and stop the DJI Go background process

9. Start the Remote Controller and Drone

10. Make sure the tablet is connected with the Drone

11. Start DroneDeploy. It will take a few minutes to come up

12. In DroneDeploy, select the mission and touch the airplane to launch.

13. An automated checklist will appear. All of the items will auto-check. The Waypoints will be the last the clear.

14. Once the Waypoints are checked, touch the checkmark at the lower right to launch.

15. The drone will arm and launch automatically.

16. I have not tried it, but according to a DroneDeploy webinar, if you are doing a 3D map, it’s helpful to shoot a series of oblique photos at the point of interest. This will help fill in the sides of the structures better.

Also, he was saying that winds are typically 30-40 MPH where he is. Which make and model of UAV fares best in winds of that speed? I was thinking perhaps the M600?
you need to check the DJI website as both Phantom, Inspire and M600 (and 200 for that matter) are rated at 10m/s. No drone in DJI lineup will work in that constant weather.

Reactions: ProBowie

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers