Nvidia Shield recall!

Well looks like mine is going back. Thanks for the heads up

Just found this info. Maybe it is usefull for the Nvidia tablet users.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/31/9077973/nvidia-shield-tablet-recall-battery-fire-hazard
Filed a claim, looks like I don't have to return tablet, they'll send me another. Which is weird. But once I activate the new one the old one will be render useless
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1438352946.728037.jpg

If the batteries have been overheating under load, they will certainly have a new design that generates less heat. The Shield was already a great tablet for the Pilot app and one of the most popular devices for Android using pilots. Perhaps with this change it will become the preeminent tablet for anyone wanting a medium sized screen. Even iOS users may be able to go Shield as a dedicated Phantom tablet if their iPad Mini 2/3 can't take the temps in their area. Of course it would mean learning the Android OS!

If the batteries have been overheating under load, they will certainly have a new design that generates less heat. The Shield was already a great tablet for the Pilot app and one of the most popular devices for Android using pilots. Perhaps with this change it will become the preeminent tablet for anyone wanting a medium sized screen. Even iOS users may be able to go Shield as a dedicated Phantom tablet if their iPad Mini 2/3 can't take the temps in their area. Of course it would mean learning the Android OS!
The other side of the coin might be they underclock the GPU so it generates less heat, thus crippling the device. Just sayin.

Out of
Even better!
Out of curiosity I called the hotline to see how long it would take to get the new one and is it safe to use this one.
Operator told me I should get the new one in 2 to 4 weeks(would be nice if it were the shield 2 tablet;)
And to NOT use the tablet at all...

The other side of the coin might be they underclock the GPU so it generates less heat, thus crippling the device. Just sayin.
I did consider that, but it seems very unlikely given the target market for that device which is gamers. They would revolt!

Out of curiosity I called the hotline to see how long it would take to get the new one and is it safe to use this one.
Operator told me I should get the new one in 2 to 4 weeks(would be nice if it were the shield 2 tablet;)
And to NOT use the tablet at all...

tbh, every retailer around here no longer sells them. I assumed it was because the 2 was imminent. But perhaps it was because of the recall that nVidia stopped shipping stock. Hopefully it's because of the former, because I doubt nVidia has enough inventory to replace all the recalls with original versions... which could potentially mean they will replace w/ the latest version. Here's hoping :)

Reactions: Bigdz and Oso
Wowww that's service . Gues ill be buying a shield tab2. Dji can sure learn alot from a company like nvidea.

These reports on customer service are why I've used as many Nvidia products as possible in my computer builds. From motherboards to GPU's, when something does go wrong, it's a simple matter to get the part replaced. I'll be going Nvidia Shield once funds allow.

Not really. I will install twrp and a custom rom.
I have no clue in regards to the ins and outs of tablets, computers etc but I did have to agree to a disclaimer which mention something to the effects of... When I receive the new tablet the old one will no longer work once I activate the new one. How true that is...who knows

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez