Now what? - gimbal arm ring separated

Reaction score
So - first crash, drone eating tree, 10 ft. fall - landing upright.

My Phantom 3 Standard had a hard landing and the gimbal arm ring separated (photos below). I did a test flight and otherwise seems alright and the Go app did connect along with GPS, etc. I have contacted a couple repair shops (Chicago area) and they just seem to avoid any repairs other than a full camera/gimbal replacement. I know there is an aftermarket gimbal arm repair kit, but I am not experienced enough to do myself.
But uncertain even if camera or gimbal are operational at this point.So is the a "major" repair I'm facing?

So, 1. Hoping others may have experienced this or similar, and is it worth shipping off to DJI? I got it on the $399 special so maybe keep this for parts and get another?
Worth replacing entire camera/gimbal unit, since cost may be close to drone value?

2. Any members know of drone repair shops in my Chicago area or worth considering shipping to any other national repair service (any referrals)?

Thanks in advance, I am a newbie, but have flown 30+ times and love the hobby.

Pete

bottom.JPG
clamp 2.jpg

Last edited:
If you're sure that's all you broke and you're handy, you can buy the replacement parts you need here on Amazon for $41 shipped.

Last edited:
If you're sure that's all you broke and you're handy, you can buy the replacement parts you need here on Amazon for $41 shipped.
Yes, I saw the kits, but would also have to replace the ribbon cable and get into the "guts", Unfortunately I'm not that skilled. Even asked a local repair guy if he would do the work for no guarantees and he passed. :(

I'd bet there's someone on the forums that would do it. I fixed mine, but I am a FOT (fixer of things).

Yep, I'm reaching out for locals. Since ribbon cable snapped I don't know condition of the cam/gimble, but it flies fine and connects with the Go app.

Weighing the expense of sending it off only to learn there are more issues verses replacing it so have old one for parts and maybe sell remote. I see new P3 Standards available for $439 right now.

Would I do another thread asking for help in the Chicago area on all the Phantom boards maybe? Living in such a large area I'd think there are a few helping hands around here.

Can you get the guts that go inside the arms? My gimbal makes a bit of a grinding noise every so often because I have had so many crashes so I assume there are some gears inside the arm that I have bent or stripped.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair