Not like it was

Can you shoot a video of this drift? My craft is rock solid and has been from day 1 and I know that don't help you. I know you said you tried IMU calibration, but my guess is this is you issue on the drift. During the IMU calibration you are teaching your craft what is absolute level.

My recommendation ... turn off VPS, cool your craft below 70 degrees, as quick as you can on a perfectly level surface preform an IMU calibration, calibrate the gimbal ... re-test you craft.

Other than the drift what else sucks?

My P3A doesn't drift, my beater quad does :)

Well, not strictly speaking true. I must admit after upgrade I did feel that 'something' felt different, but couldn't put my finger on anything specific so it may be absolutely nothing (my head, conditions etc.) certainly nothing that stopped me flying. I plan to be VPS off unless flying indoors regardless.

I do agree firmware rollback should ideally be an option but fortunately so far it hasn't been required for me, and I also understand some of the issues with rollbacks.

One thing that does intrigue me is I think that this is the second time I've read of an issue affecting 'some craft' or 'some users'. I'm interested by this. I can certainly understand that something could be an issue 'in some circumstances' but X firmware on Y hardware shouldn't to my head cause issues for some but not others.

Personally still loving my occasionally-tilted-horizon-but-otherwise-rock-solid machine. Of course I'd love it more if I could get another battery anywhere :)

Hi AbsPapa. I, too, am a "Senior American", also had about 20 flights with my P3 Pro. Actually, what would have been my 20th flight occurred after I did the upgrade to 1.2.6. I went through all the calibration steps (IMU, Compass, even the Gimbal). Immediately on launching the drone, it went totally haywire, flying itself round and round until it crashed into a tree and fell to the ground. It now has a totally destroyed camera and landing gear. The aircraft was not controllable from the RC. It was flying perfectly on 1.1.9 and 1.1.8, both of which I performed the upgrades successfully.

Reactions: AbsPapa
Hi AbsPapa. I, too, am a "Senior American", also had about 20 flights with my P3 Pro. Actually, what would have been my 20th flight occurred after I did the upgrade to 1.2.6. I went through all the calibration steps (IMU, Compass, even the Gimbal). Immediately on launching the drone, it went totally haywire, flying itself round and round until it crashed into a tree and fell to the ground. It now has a totally destroyed camera and landing gear. The aircraft was not controllable from the RC. It was flying perfectly on 1.1.9 and 1.1.8, both of which I performed the upgrades successfully.
Wow. That's really too bad. What will you do now? I have heard that there are solar flares on the sun happening right now that could cause interference to our aircrafts. So I am not flying right now. But since I updated and my last flight sucked, I am very leary as what to expect on my next flight.

Reactions: dalebb
I upgraded my P3 Pro to 1.2.6 tonight only because I hoped it would resolve the gimbal horizon issue. I didn't really want to do the upgrade. It helped with that but I'll need to test more to be sure.

But as noted by others in this thread the P3 doesn't hold as steady as it did before the update regardless if VPS is off or on. I was locked into 18 satellites and did a cold IMU, gimbal and compass calibration just before flight.

I am seeing 0 ft high in the App when I am actually 20ft high and negative 22 feet high when I am actually 1ft off the ground. Below 20ft the P3 slowly drifts straight up until it gets to 20ft high. I don't notice any side to side drift when VPS was off. VPS on after the firmware update the P3 when low was all over the place, up/down side to side maybe a couple feet.

Reactions: AbsPapa
I upgraded my P3 Pro to 1.2.6 tonight only because I hoped it would resolve the gimbal horizon issue. I didn't really want to do the upgrade. It helped with that but I'll need to test more to be sure.

But as noted by others in this thread the P3 doesn't hold as steady as it did before the update regardless if VPS is off or on. I was locked into 18 satellites and did a cold IMU, gimbal and compass calibration just before flight.

I am seeing 0 ft high in the App when I am actually 20ft high and negative 22 feet high when I am actually 1ft off the ground. Below 20ft the P3 slowly drifts straight up until it gets to 20ft high. I don't notice any side to side drift when VPS was off. VPS on after the firmware update the P3 when low was all over the place, up/down side to side maybe a couple feet.
Just sucks don't it? $1400. No comment from DJI about this. You would think they would make a statement. Try calling their tech support. You'll get no sympathy there either. We've been had. Suckers.

I have a P3P. The only firmware upgrade I did was the one that allows IPhone/IPAD compatibility..I don't remember which one that was (I think v1.1.7). It's been flying flawlessly so I opted not to upgrade the firmware or do any IMU calibrations.

One thing I've got to say is this...I've had bad experiences with the Phantom 2 and IMU calibrations. If you upgraded the firmware and did an IMU calibration immediately after, I'm going to go ahead and say the issue is due to the IMU calibration. It seems that DJI does IMU calibrations at their factory which is a perfect calibration. When people attempt to do IMU calibrations on surface that is not completely flat (or level), it causes drifting problems. My P2 was never the same after I did an IMU calibration. Whenever I yawed it would drift like 5 feet.

I personally have learned never to touch the IMU calibration button...it will never be as perfect as the calibration DJI did at the factory.

Last edited:
Reactions: hot dog
Just sucks don't it? $1400. No comment from DJI about this. You would think they would make a statement. Try calling their tech support. You'll get no sympathy there either. We've been had. Suckers.

They have been made aware, this issue was reported days after release. Turn vps off problem solved.

Barometer off is from the craft heating up. If you want this more accurate then reboot the craft after about 2mins of flying. You will get more accurate barometer.

This is just the nature of it in heat and or humidity with the sensor

Barometer off is from the craft heating up. If you want this more accurate then land and reboot the craft after about 2mins of flying. You will get more accurate barometer.
Fixed that for you before we get another set of mid air CSC posts lol

They have been made aware, this issue was reported days after release. Turn vps off problem solved.

Barometer off is from the craft heating up. If you want this more accurate then reboot the craft after about 2mins of flying. You will get more accurate barometer.

Thanks Blade, I will try this.

Reactions: blade strike
I'm on my 4th Phantom - P1, P2V, PV+ and now P3A. Always performed upgrades when released. Never been an issue for me.

I note that the OP has been a forum user for two weeks; now, maybe it's me, but my first load of flights were very much a steep learning curve. The craft may have been drifting, maybe not - I was too busy worrying about other things to notice. Maybe, and it's just a suggestion, you have noticed a small amount of drift and are associating this with the upgraded firmware?

BTW, the tech specs advise that the horizontal accuracy +/- 1.5m (that's about 4') so 6" is WELL within that.

Reactions: Meta4 and rhoffart
I am exposing DJI for their attitude towards their customers. I am only expressing the truth in my complaints about my investment. My P3 still flies. But nowhere near what it did when I first got it. That's my ***** along with everyone else that is experiencing problems with their craft. In reading the other complaints similar to mine on this forum and other support groups online, I would estimate that about 40% of the folks who purchased the P3 are not satisfied to one degree or another. You @rhoffart suggested I sell and move on. How does one sell something that is sick? I do and have completed some/most of the suggestions the other followers of my threads have suggested. I am suggesting to any fellow citizens considering to buy one of these to beware. Do your homework before investing. No one likes to buy something with high expectations and then realize its not what it is chalked up to be. If you don't like to read about people that stand up for justice, maybe you should move on.

Reactions: dalebb
Lost of confidence its perfect description of last firmware update. Im experiencing it too. It flies, it hovers, it returns back and everything, but its just different than before...
I contacted both DJI Europe and DJ HQ in China. There was imediate response from China, that I should contact Dji Europe. There is no response from Europe after two days...
they wont response to your email, you have to call them.

Thanks for the interesting answer. So you basically have to land the phantom every 2 minutes because of the barometer heating up? I guess this is only needed on a hot summer day, or?

I am exposing DJI for their attitude towards their customers. I am only expressing the truth in my complaints about my investment. My P3 still flies. But nowhere near what it did when I first got it. That's my ***** along with everyone else that is experiencing problems with their craft. In reading the other complaints similar to mine on this forum and other support groups online, I would estimate that about 40% of the folks who purchased the P3 are not satisfied to one degree or another. You @rhoffart suggested I sell and move on. How does one sell something that is sick? I do and have completed some/most of the suggestions the other followers of my threads have suggested. I am suggesting to any fellow citizens considering to buy one of these to beware. Do your homework before investing. No one likes to buy something with high expectations and then realize its not what it is chalked up to be. If you don't like to read about people that stand up for justice, maybe you should move on.

40% ? You're off your rocker.

Over a 100k In the air.. Only very few like yourself. You're not standing up for justice but showing how little you know about these things. FYI, we are on the cutting edge of multirotor. If you can't stand a bug here or there then you really shouldn't be in the hobby.

Please don't take that wrong but you honestly you are doing more harm than good.

Thanks for the interesting answer. So you basically have to land the phantom every 2 minutes because of the barometer heating up? I guess this is only needed on a hot summer day, or?

Did I say every two minutes? You wouldn't even have to take off. Just let it sit powered on for about 2mins. Then do a quick reboot.. This should help on the altitude readings on warmer days.

Or you can know that you have a 20' offset and just add or subtract that from the altitude. It won't effect rth or anything else.

40% ? You're off your rocker.

Over a 100k In the air.. Only very few like yourself. You're not standing up for justice but showing how little you know about these things. FYI, we are on the cutting edge of multirotor. If you can't stand a bug here or there then you really shouldn't be in the hobby.

Please don't take that wrong but you honestly you are doing more harm than good.
What makes you the authority on these political issues. I agree with a lot of what you said. No I can't stand a bug or two and didn't have any bugs until I updated. The bugs came from DJI. I do wish that I hadn't invested, but I did based on what DJI was selling. That was my mistake. I'm the kind of person that likes to alert other Americans about problems that arise. They can then make their own adult decisions as to whether or not pull the trigger. Now you move on. I am not your concern.

What makes you the authority on these political issues. I agree with a lot of what you said. No I can't stand a bug or two and didn't have any bugs until I updated. The bugs came from DJI. I do wish that I hadn't invested, but I did based on what DJI was selling. That was my mistake. I'm the kind of person that likes to alert other Americans about problems that arise. They can then make their own adult decisions as to whether or not pull the trigger. Now you move on. I am not your concern.

How can you alert people on stuff you don't understand? That's more like crying wolf and trying to start mass hysteria. Just for your information there were bugs before the update or they wouldn't have updated it. Some fixes have unforseen consequences.

The last sentence speaks volumes and I will move on as should the rest of the user base here. Like I said you do more harm than good and you're too blinded to see that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.