Not finding satellites

Reaction score
I just picked up a P3P from a friend. It had cracks in the arms near the motors And compass wasn't working. I replaced the shell and the compass with a used one.
Every thing worked, controller linked fine, firmware upgraded, compass calibrated, motors started up. The only thing is that it does not pick up any satellites and the satellite
icon seems to be greyed out. Anybody have any idea what would cause this?

I just picked up a P3P from a friend. It had cracks in the arms near the motors And compass wasn't working. I replaced the shell and the compass with a used one.
Every thing worked, controller linked fine, firmware upgraded, compass calibrated, motors started up. The only thing is that it does not pick up any satellites and the satellite
Several people who have replaced their shell have forgotten to plug in the GPS module when they attached the top shell (where GPS module is located) to the bottom shell. Perhaps you forgot as well?

Last edited:
It could be GPS module, got another to try...looks like this,,if you getting no sats or greyed out this baby could be the fault
Screenshot_20191205-185559_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KachemakDiver
You say it start up,,it dont need GPS to fly just to test this,,,,if GPS not working it will fly atti mode and wont hold its position,,,,,GPS is there for GPS lock from sats and to help a accurate rth so it knows where it is,,

Reactions: KachemakDiver
Ok you mention a compass module change did you check the antenna or try change,,,its bit tricky with damaged drone to diagnose,,becomes guessing game,I got sore eyes from searching a result on this....thers nothing on top of shell is there to block it working,,,,if changing all these bits and it doing nothing it might be main board damage somewhere,do you have this in your spares,,,I dont want to advise to buy it cause yours might be ok ,have good check of pins where GPS plugs in ....also what's it say in app in STATUS,,any prompt there saying what not working
Screenshot_20191206-090358_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191206-090733_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes sense. Maybe one of the connects to the sensing unit (not sure if that is what its called). I'm will check this when I get home tonight, you know the work thing that keeps me in this wonderful hobby.
So if one of the wires is damaged that could cause this? this is why this forum is the best. So many knowledgeable people willing to take their time to help fellow fliers out.
I'm new to the repairing side and kinda new to flying so hopefully I'll learn enough to give that back.

You said that the shell was cracked and damaged so it's very possible that a wire has been broken off. Get the magnifying glass out and have a thorough look bearing in mind that the GPS unit is in the top shell as well?

I had replaced the old shell with a new one. Last night I put new wires and compass in last night. didn't have time to do much testing
I'm going to do more today

YIPPEE Just took it out in the front yard to test. Picked up 11 satellites. Had also interference errors a couple of times, but was close to the house. But everything seemed to work fine.
Now to head for some open space.

Thank you everyone for helping, I really appreciate it. Once again PHANTOM PILOTS rocks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20