Noise of the blades

Reaction score
I am flying Phantom 3a and like to know how to reduce the noise of the blades.

Is it possible to reduce the noise of the blades?

You can hear less noise if you fly high.

I doubt if it's worth putting efforts to experiment with the aerodynamics of the blades.

Noise sharply increases with increase of the speed. Low speed motors with multi blade rotor can do that but that's a radical change in the design.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The blades will become quieter as they are lengthened and able to spin slower. Unfortunately, neither of those are possibilities with the Phantom.

The blades will become quieter as they are lengthened and able to spin slower. Unfortunately, neither of those are possibilities with the Phantom.

Length of the blades? Interesting!

The possibility does exist to modify other blade parameters to allow for lower rotation speed for a given thrust (area and pitch). Software changes and likely other components in the propulsion system would also require modification and the resultant system would require more current from the battery (not desirable) and would almost certainly be less efficient overall. We are entitled to believe that considerable investment has already been applied to design of the current system with efficiency and performance in mind.

Yes, sir. Shorter blades need to spin faster.

There are many factors that are considered and optimized during a fan/ blower design. They are motor torque speed characteristics, maximum fan area available, number of blades, rotational speed variations, blade profiles, total inertia etc. Noise is normally not a design factor, it is the starting decision. Blade profile keeps the noise to minimum within its speed operating range. Efficiency of the fan system is so low that main focus shifts to improving motor design and to get the required thrust with good dynamics. Noise becomes the secondary design factor and thumb guidelines are used to minimize it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.