No lens cap.... Really? Hey 3D printer guys!!

So $1300 and they can't provide a simple protective lens cap?
I'm sure that will have to wait for the PHANTOM 3 PROFESSIONAL +PLUS. ;)

The one I got for my P2 is great and was made by someone on ebay from a 3D printer. I want to see if I can send him the info on the P3 and have him make one up. To me it's a must have device.

Last edited:
The one I got for my P2 is great and was made by someone on ebay from a 3D printer. I want to see if I can send him the info on the P3 and have him make one up. To me it's a must have device.

If you find a lens cap please let me know I'd like to have one too. As much as the case protects your investment there's nothing wrong against a little extra protection. Especially since it'll protect against scratches on the lens from something inside the case like grains of sand or other foreign objects.

I'd rather not lol.

I'd be more than willing to help out. If anyone has callipers, so that they measure the camera accurately, I'd be willing to send them a free lens cap!

If anyone can make a cad file for me I can print them at work we have a very expensive and high end 3D Printer that doesn't get much use lol

A petal lens hood would also be good. I've seen some dark vids where you see the PED lights reflecting on the lens. Would also be good for prop lens shadow flicker.

I had a 3D-printed one for my P2V+

Reactions: Fplvert
Sugru might make a good lens cap until the 3d printer crowd figures it out.
http://www.amazon.com/Sugru-SMLT8-Hardware-Sealer-8-Pack/dp/B008URBC9I
Cover the lens, then mold the sugru and the next day you would have a silicon rubber lens cap. The stuff is great, and I use it for a million different things. I plan on using it to fasten my current ND filter to the new lens. (Once I get it)

Reactions: cmyk22
We just designed one at work and I will test fit it later today and give everyone a update.

Update: almost done we have another hour

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 515
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Reactions: cmyk22
So its finished and I will test fit it in a few hours and if all goes well you can find the file on thingiverse until I make a custom ND filter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 471
Reactions: stinkbomb
We have success I just had to do a little sanding but will make another mold tomorrow to open it up a little so it fits snug but does come off easy. Once it's confirmed I will throw it on thingiverse and if someone wants to buy some I'm not trying to get rich I just need to cover shipping and material cost.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 429
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 413
That looks good, I have a 3D print material that is flexible and I made a lens cap for my P2V+ and worked out great, I will give it a try for the P3. Mine is due to arrive tomorrow...

That looks good, I have a 3D print material that is flexible and I made a lens cap for my P2V+ and worked out great, I will give it a try for the P3. Mine is due to arrive tomorrow...
Someone gave me the measurement of 31.52 as the outer diameter so we did 31.90 and it was still too tight so you may want to expand it a bit. I sanded the inner diameter of the first mold to make it fit without fearing I was going to break the camera gimbal. Good luck and please give me a link to the flexible material is definitely be interested in a softer alternative.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.