No fly zone

Reaction score
Anyone know what happens if you take off outside a no fly zone of an airport and fly into that area?

If you successfully fly into a no fly zone, your Phantom will auto land at its current location. The following will occur (in the red box from bottom to top) as you near the no fly zone:

NoFlyZone.jpg

Depends on which App you use ...

GO will do as described ...

Litchi will fly.

My house lies in a Restricted Zone .. so with GO - I have a red map ..... and I need to fly about 200m further from the local airport to get into clear space. The local airport is virtually unused and I am friendly with Airport Director anyway.... I was flying my Fixed Wing there before ...

But restricted allows me to fly ... and what I find interesting is that apart from the RED map - flight is no different from any other.

With GO, I have flown towards the airport and basically the AC stops at the boundary fence ! it does not land .. it just stops... and I turn and fly back.
With Litchi, I can fly into and over the airport. I have no RED map etc.

Here's a video showing flight where in the first part up to about 6mins point - I fly over towards airport ... you then see the video stop at the boundary, turns and starts to return ...

Nigel

The landing part scares me as I will be over water when I enter the restricted area. I would have thought it would just stop and the GO APP would give a verbal warning as it would when you reach your height ceiling.

Yes, that's been my understanding too. Provided you're in GPS mode, it will sort of bounce off the boundary like it's made or rubber and won't let you in per Solentlife's example. If you lose GPS for whatever reason and then enter and then regain your satellites, it'll autoland as per msinger's example. But remember when you're autolanding, you can still steer it out of the NFZ if you're close. You might even be able to fly it out horizontally by pushing up on the left stick, since we know you can fly that way in critical battery auto land. The awkward/scary situation is where an NFZ gets between you and the AC and you're at or near the edge of range. It will not RTH through the NFZ.

Best to avoid the situation. There's a feeding frenzy of whales, tuna, dolphins etc.. nearby that I was hoping to view but I'am a little leary of an airport NFZ close by.

Then fly Litchi ...............

Nigel

So far I have not had any ... I fly both Go and Litchi ...

Go - I have red maps / warnings ...

Litchi - I just go fly and no warnings.

Just looked outside and winds moderate ... so I will test Litchi and report back to be 100% sure I am correct ...

Nigel

Sorry ... just started raining again !! Flight test aborted

Nigel

OK today I tried both GO and Litchi ... both latest versions but with 1.10.09 FW ....

BOTH refused to enter the airport boundary ... I made 4 flights to test and get an average ...

Litchi still not showing any warning or RED map area ...

This is contrary to results I had before .... where Litchi allowed me to fly inside airport boundary.

Nigel

Thanks for the great info solentlife. I know what It can't do. I guess the worst that could happen is refusal with the Go App.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z