No Fly Zone is Wrong!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I live a close to an airport and since the day I got my P3 I haven't being able to even fly inside my house and I was now checking the DJI app on the phone and noticed that the No Fly Zone is completely wrong.

If you look at the picture I am attaching, in red is the No Flight Zone and in Blue what I believe the actual zone should be. Basically DJI is blocking all flights side to the airport but not in front which means that I can just stand in front of the airport and fly my drone without a single warning on the app lol .

Please check the picture and tell me what you all think.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2877.PNG
    IMG_2877.PNG
    383.3 KB · Views: 704
All of their no-fly zones are simply circles... even though no actual no-fly zones are circles. That's just how it goes. To top it off, they have left out a ton of airports all together...

...but why the hell do you want to fly it in your house?!

Also, you can stand all day in my house looking at the sky and you will see 0 planes lol because none of those planes past by my house! NEVER!

All of their no-fly zones are simply circles... even though no actual no-fly zones are circles. That's just how it goes. To top it off, they have left out a ton of airports all together...

...but why the hell do you want to fly it in your house?!

There are some kids trowing rocks at night at my neighbor house and yesterday they almost hit my car so I am now just waiting to hear a single rock to lift this thing on the air and catch those bastards lol

Reactions: BigPig and RyanK
That would absolutely suck to be in a No Fly. If idiots keep flying 3000' in restricted airspace, we'll all be No Fly.

There are some kids trowing rocks at night at my neighbor house and yesterday they almost hit my car so I am now just waiting to hear a single rock to lift this thing on the air and catch those bastards lol
Pretty sure you don't need a drone to catch kids on the ground throwing rocks - but yeah, you ain't flying that thing in that zone. Not with a Phantom 3 anyway...

Pretty sure you don't need a drone to catch kids on the ground throwing rocks - but yeah, you ain't flying that thing in that zone. Not with a Phantom 3 anyway...
Yeah right, in the middle of the night it is impossible to catch those kids. The police have been here 5 times already and still the rocks are flying lol

Don't be too surprised that the No Fly Zones are wrong. DJI doesn't make the rules. The FAA does.

You should always check with a service like skyvector.com to see if you are within 5 miles of any airports and/or if there is restricted airspace where you want to fly.

If you are within 5 miles of an airport (anywhere, not just at the ends of the most commonly used runways), you need to call the tower and let them know where and when you are flying.

As for flying in your house, not sure what to do there. You have every right to do it but the Phantom has no way of knowing you're inside.

Don't be too surprised that the No Fly Zones are wrong. DJI doesn't make the rules. The FAA does.

You should always check with a service like skyvector.com to see if you are within 5 miles of any airports and/or if there is restricted airspace where you want to fly.

If you are within 5 miles of an airport (anywhere, not just at the ends of the most commonly used runways), you need to call the tower and let them know where and when you are flying.

As for flying in your house, not sure what to do there. You have every right to do it but the Phantom has no way of knowing you're inside.
Thank you so much!!!

I was just looking at that map but to be honest I don't understand it :/ if I give you my address in a PM could you check it out and let me know?

Thanks

This looks like a decent explanation of how to read the maps:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Unfortunately you are new to drones and us older owners have seen this come in gradually. I can see how it would piss you off just buying it because how were you to know about it. Think yourself lucky I guess that you don't live in the 15 mile no fly zone in Washington as I read from a new owner who bought his p3 to film roofs for his own company inspections.
it's something you won't be able to change unless you buy a different drone but on the good side you don't have to travel too far to fly. I live just outside the boundaries of dublin airport and have a huge park in front of my house but am only able to go up to 65m, not that there is anything special to see there but at least I can run down my batteries when I haven't flown lately but to get good shots I have to leave my area and it helps with me not being lazy in just shooting in my boring area

Unfortunately you are new to drones and us older owners have seen this come in gradually. I can see how it would piss you off just buying it because how were you to know about it. Think yourself lucky I guess that you don't live in the 15 mile no fly zone in Washington as I read from a new owner who bought his p3 to film roofs for his own company inspections.
it's something you won't be able to change unless you buy a different drone but on the good side you don't have to travel too far to fly. I live just outside the boundaries of dublin airport and have a huge park in front of my house but am only able to go up to 65m, not that there is anything special to see there but at least I can run down my batteries when I haven't flown lately but to get good shots I have to leave my area and it helps with me not being lazy in just shooting in my boring area
Yeah you are right.
There is also a nice park less than a mile away and I can fly there :)

Yes, around me (local airports in Japan), there are some mistake of class A/B, runway is perfectly out of NO FLY ZONE because the airport is too big, or big airport is not registered as NO FLY ZONE, etc., etc. ...
For avoiding crazy terrorists make far more problem, I'd prefer to cooperate with DJI, but no way to feedback. ;-)
BTW ranger052, your home is at nice place... envy you.

These no fly zones are a pain when you are flying responsibly, but a good thing to force the reckless to fly where it's actually authorised. Just hope DJI is not going to extend them to the town centers as well... why not? it's already the case by law in the UK...(No flying within 150m of congested areas..etc)

These no fly zones are a pain when you are flying responsibly, but a good thing to force the reckless to fly where it's actually authorised. Just hope DJI is not going to extend them to the town centers as well... why not? it's already the case by law in the UK...(No flying within 150m of congested areas..etc)

I thought it was 50m?..... I will have to swat up on the regs, although from what I understand a lot of the regs are based on tradional RC aircraft and have not changed to take quads into consideration.

I thought it was 50m?..... I will have to swat up on the regs, although from what I understand a lot of the regs are based on tradional RC aircraft and have not changed to take quads into consideration.
Pls check the CAA IN2014/190, which is I believe the last one, 0-7kg 150m of congested areas, dropping to 50m when you get the standard permission for Aerial work....

Last edited:
Pls check the CAA IN2014/190, which is I believe the last one, 0-7kg 150m of congested areas, dropping to 50m when you got the standard permission for Aerial work....

I'm not in anyway justifying it but I would guess that most pilots do not stick to this. I'm sure, like me, many have flown in their back yards, unless you live in a stately home the chances of being 150m from other buildings or people are not realistic or in this scenario would it not be classed as congested and so negate the 150m rule? I will check out the CAA information, cheers.

I know,I agree, difficult to accept it , but thing is that you can't fly in your backyard.You're immediately breaking the rules of 150/50 ... If you decide to do it anyway, and loose control and injure your neighbour sunbathing, or their kids, I prefer not thinking about the consequences... These restrictions do not please me either but they are based on bringing more safety for people and property. (I don't want to sound formal or anything ok...) :)

Not only can you not fly in your house (or any other indoor space), but you can't even use the flight simulator! I'm in the same boat my friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31