No fisheye Lens on the P2V+

This company makes lenses with no fisheye effect that they say they work on th P2V+
http://peauproductions.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=137_153_154&products_id=579
As anyone tried it yet?

While it is true they have a lens replacement for the Vision plus you may have to send it in for replacement. There are no videos in how to disassemble DJI camera and if it is still in warranty replacing the lens will void your warranty.

Just finished replacing mine on GP 3+ Bl and it look great will aerial test it tomorrow morning.

the images on their site comparing their lenses with the GP 3, photos with the stock lens are way peppier, no?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 03.10.32 .jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 03.10.32 .jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 630
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 03.10.23 .jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 03.10.23 .jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 564
Given that the P3 Advanced is only $999, it would be hard to justify spending that sort of money on a P2V+

You may unpleasantly surprised with the results from that P3 camera low light and lens distortion were two of the comments I came across. The Inspire 1 also has problems with jello.

the images on their site comparing their lenses with the GP 3, photos with the stock lens are way peppier, no?

The original GP 3+ is convex which give it fisheye when in either ultra wide or medium formats. Now installed a 5.4mm f/2.5 10mp lens which does basically the same thing as the lens in the photo you posted and it is completely wide angle no matter which format is being used as the is flat. Because it is a 5.4mm vs 2.95mm stock lens the height would have to be double that of the stock lens to have the same field of view.

Aren't you satisfied with the two FOV options that are available on the Vision app? (110º and 85º)
Although 85º is a very restricted space, it removes the distortion effect on 110º.

I personally don't think it's a physical change though, the software may just trim the image so it lowers the FOV.

Aren't you satisfied with the two FOV options that are available on the Vision app? (110º and 85º)
Although 85º is a very restricted space, it removes the distortion effect on 110º.

I personally don't think it's a physical change though, the software may just trim the image so it lowers the FOV.

The physical problem with fisheye is that you cannot completely remove it. Some people get motion sickness and I get the same feeling when I see a vision plus tilt up/down and back again. Distorting and cropping the video in post takes care of the horizontal/vertical but nothing for tilting back and forth.
That is why I changed the lens on my GP 3+ bl so that I could shoot in 4K wide without distortion. Also the footage when down-rezzed is far sharper than HD could ever be no matter if it's 1080p or 720p and hopefully without having the props in the video footage.

By the way I do not own a vision/vision plus mine P2 NV v1

Last edited:
You may unpleasantly surprised with the results from that P3 camera low light and lens distortion were two of the comments I came across. The Inspire 1 also has problems with jello.
I'm looking forward to being "unpleasantly surprised".
Inspire and now P3 photos and videos are showing that camera is a major upgrade beyond the P2V+.
Low light performance is very good and I haven't noticed any distortion.

so..instead of spending 100$ I would spend 1000$?! what are you saying?
If it was me, I'd sell the P2V+ and put the money toward the P3 Advanced. It's so much better in so many ways (that are important to me) that it's easily worth it.

Last edited:
If it was me, I'd sell the P2V+ and put the money toward the P3 Advanced. It's so much better in so many ways (that are important to me) that it's easily worth it.
So ..again: instead of a 100$ investment and you get a fully tested fully functional, fully upgradable aerial camera, you think it is a better idea to loose 500-700$ on selling one and getting another? Not to mention the extra 500$ you would have to put out in extra batteries extra charger, hood, holders, etc, so it would get to the fully equipped stage I have mine now.
And after all that you get a completely not tested machine that maybe its better than what I have now, but in none of the ways that matter?

The original GP 3+ is convex which give it fisheye when in either ultra wide or medium formats. Now installed a 5.4mm f/2.5 10mp lens which does basically the same thing as the lens in the photo you posted and it is completely wide angle no matter which format is being used as the is flat. Because it is a 5.4mm vs 2.95mm stock lens the height would have to be double that of the stock lens to have the same field of view.
I'm not talking about FOV. The images with the original lens have nicer colors and great sharpness. The also warn on the website that the lens is low quality, and you should not shoot over 1080 because of that.

While it is true they have a lens replacement for the Vision plus you may have to send it in for replacement. There are no videos in how to disassemble DJI camera and if it is still in warranty replacing the lens will void your warranty.

Sure there are. Check this one out:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sure there are. Check this one out:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I searched Google but didn't come across any thing after a few pages as there far more videos for the GP's.

I'm not talking about FOV. The images with the original lens have nicer colors and great sharpness. The also warn on the website that the lens is low quality, and you should not shoot over 1080 because of that.

I just finished test flights with the new 5.4mm f/2.5 10mp lens in 4K without Protune being on and the footage is perfect no jello or distortion and it was well worth the price. But I will have to trim the sun 1/16" as the corners show in the footage. Will probably post video over the weekend.

Have you considered this lens 3.60mm f/1.6 @ 5mp GP36016 for $80.00. It is a better lens for low light and has more magnification then what you were looking at. If you're worried that it doesn't say no distortion either call them or send an email to see if infact it is distortion free.

So ..again: instead of a 100$ investment and you get a fully tested fully functional, fully upgradable aerial camera, you think it is a better idea to loose 500-700$ on selling one and getting another?
Yes .. if it was me. The low quality and limitations of the P2V+ camera has frustrated me for a long time and I'll be happy to move up to a camera that gives me results worth the effort I put in. The joy of using the Lightbridge for flying will be a nice bonus.

If you can't afford it and aren't very much into photography, it's a piece of cake to remove fisheye in software. Another reason not to bother replacing lenses on the P2V+.

Last edited:
Reactions: mad in nc
Yes .. if it was me. The low quality and limitations of the P2V+ camera has frustrated me for a long time and I'll be happy to move up to a camera that gives me results worth the effort I put in. The joy of using the Lightbridge for flying will be a nice bonus.
Cameras will always be outdated fast. Don't be surprised if the first owners of P3 start to find out the limitations on their cameras.
The only way to fight that is upgrading just the camera, getting an external gymbal
The P2V+ is a perfectly tested aerial platform for cameras. Who knows the new problems the untested P3 will bring as flight platforms?
But if your problem is the camera, P3 isn't that great either. Get a mirrorless with interchangeable lenses on a drone. Low light on a P3 will always be a problem to. With interchangeable lenses, a big sensor that problem would be solved.

Everything is a compromise. I use full frame 35mm on the ground but that's not practical in the air.
The big sensor camera needs a big gimbal and a big machine to lift it. More $$, less easy portability and less flight time.
The P3 will suit my needs until DJI go further with the evolution of the dedicated aerial camera and bring out a 4/3 sensor model.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31