No Drone Zone Signs

Have you ever been asked to leave or stop flying?

• Yes

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on places that just put up made-to-order "no drone zone" signs in places that are not restricted by the FAA already? Do you believe they are enforceable? Any stories regarding a confrontation?

We have a city in north Florida that is very anti-drone. It has a lot of historic buildings and they are probably worried about them being damaged (makes some sense). If the airspace is not above a national park, the pilot is not endangering people by flying overhead, and obeying all other laws... does the city have a leg to stand on? Is this and example like the Newton, Massachusetts case?

Attachments

• 3029.jpg
    3029.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 663
If a city, person, or other entity has ‘control’ of the land than you can be forbidden to operate (fly) from it. Once in the air there are other factors but generally only the FAA has authority

So far the people only asked some questions and mostly found it neet, then when I asked them if they want to go for a ride and connect my headplays and take them out they reply with "Wow that's so cool" - "How mutch does that setup cost?" - "Oh, I guess it's not a toy" One older fellow that I took for a ride asked me if he could call his wife and if she could go for a ride and I said sure, she was at the site in about 10 minutes and she also enjoyed the view. (The site did not have a no drone zone sign, I have only seen one sign like that so far, and I did not fly there)

Last edited:
AS @N017RW pointed out if it's posted you can't trespass on their land.

While it may be "possible" to take off and fly from a public spot that is not "restricted" and over fly the area in question you might be opening up yourself to local ordinances such as "reckless behavior", Nuisance, and other "locally enforceable" issues. While they "might" not hold up in court you have to ask yourself is it worth the hassle and possible expense to test it?

What are your thoughts on places that just put up made-to-order "no drone zone" signs in places that are not restricted by the FAA already? Do you believe they are enforceable? Any stories regarding a confrontation?

We have a city in north Florida that is very anti-drone. It has a lot of historic buildings and they are probably worried about them being damaged (makes some sense). If the airspace is not above a national park, the pilot is not endangering people by flying overhead, and obeying all other laws... does the city have a leg to stand on? Is this and example like the Newton, Massachusetts case?
Cities and municipality's can set their own rules on drone use and is completely enforceable by their local PD .

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Could they also restrict all manned aircraft?
apples and oranges . many municipalities have no drone laws in their books and it's perfectly legal . manned flights can not be compared to drones . the parts 107 the FAA requires for commercial use of drones is no where near what it takes to get a pilots license. most anti drone laws are based around false assumptions of privacy .

apples and oranges . many municipalities have no drone laws in their books and it's perfectly legal . manned flights can not be compared to drones . the parts 107 the FAA requires for commercial use of drones is no where near what it takes to get a pilots license. most anti drone laws are based around false assumptions of privacy .
Not in Virginia.

In Virginia, localities are prohibited from enacting any laws that regulate drone use.(Alt least until the state law expires or is replaced.)

Not in Virginia.

In Virginia, localities are prohibited from enacting any laws that regulate drone use.(Alt least until the state law expires or is replaced.)
great for Virginia . that's not the case in other areas . some better then others some worse . i have no control over what local cities etc do ,

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl