Night Navigation Using Strobes

Reaction score
I just wanted to share my "system" for easy night flying using the STROBON LED strobes.

I'll start with the color configuration:
Front: Green
Sides: White (1 on each side)
Rear: Red
(I attach using Velcro and a tiny strip of Gorilla tape for extra security. )

Navigation with them is pretty straight forward. If all you see is red it is going directly away from you, if all you see is green it's going directly toward you. If you see, from left to right, : green white red it's going to the left. Anyway, you get the idea and you quickly learn how the various color intensity tells you what direction it's headed.

Just a note: These lights are rated for about 3 mile visibility. Furthest I've been out with them is about 2 miles. You can see them, but they're very faint and you can't discern the colors at that distance.

Hope this helps some members get into night flying - it's a blast and actually better for a number of reasons. VLOS is so much longer with the strobes, it's cooler, and you can see other aircraft much easier as well.

All my flying is at night. II have the polar pro led lights set to flash. I also have the cree strobes. I can see the led lights further than the strobes.

Gezz im been playing with lights again useing v2 strobons from flytron,bright,ordered some different batt packs off ebay but they quite big,weighs 50grams each complete,look small in other picture,3.7volt lipos with twin plug,originaly came with 24led light but i change to run my strobes,just have white at front top and red on rear,very efective at range,this my last try but just going back to how i first had
1502434787509-1953148163.jpg
lighter just there to show size,good for some light but these still catch the wind,cheap at $14 for two was worth a try

Does anyone know what is the requirement for number and placement of strobes to be 107 compliant? Also does anyone have the link for the FAA waiver database so one can review previously submitted waivers?

On the issue of determining orientation/direction at a distance using strobes dont expect to get any visual cues beyond 1/4 to 1/2 mile unless you are Clark Kent. Using the controller display should be your guide at distances, the best you can hope for is using the strobes for quick acquisition which I feel is more important since it leads to safer and less stressful flying. If you want to fly at distances beyond what you can clearly see but are not beyond VLoS, treat it as one would an IFR flight.

Does anyone know what is the requirement for number and placement of strobes to be 107 compliant?

There is no rule for the number / placement of Anti-Collision lights to be 107 compliant.

What you do need is the have it/them visible for 3SM all directions in the horizontal plane. Remember, they are for other aircraft to see your sUAV. Aircraft, for the most part, fly level. Sticking just one on the front or top isn't going to cut it.

Even when not flying level, aircraft seldom exceed 5 degrees up/down slope unless taking off./ landing. If you want to put an additional light on the bottom, go ahead as it'll be for you to see your sUAV, not for it to be seen by others.

On the issue of determining orientation/direction at a distance using strobes dont expect to get any visual cues beyond 1/4 to 1/2 mile unless you are Clark Kent.

If you also put on position lights configured like the bigger aircraft (red= port = left, green = starboard = right, white = aft = rear) , you can determine orientation a lot further. I have some that I can see at over a mile, even during twilight.

Understood and thanks for the info. I know having visual sight of the AC is comfortable but at distances where technically LoS is in play, barely, you really dont have the perception to navigate safely unless in a wide open area. I feel better seeing the AC while operating but have come to realize that relying on the instrumentation when flying at distances that challenge the LoS rule is safer than trying to take visual cues. I am going to purchase strobes and give them a try, seems led are better than strobes obviously these are a benefit during twilight/night flights but will reserve judgement on daylight applications.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4